A first inintial question...

jWilson4mvp

My last name is O'Neil. On my baseball team this year, there was a kid totally unrelated to me with the last name O'Neill. Two L's, same pronunciation. Our team didnt have names on the back of our jerseys (our coaches wanted a 'classic' look), but say we did...or this happened in Major League Baseball...

Would me and this other kid have our first initials or not? I was just wondering what you guys thought.

I don't believe so. For a while (and perhaps they still do), the Edmonton Oilers had Ryan Smyth and Jason Smith on their roster. Their nameplates were simply "SMYTH" and "SMITH" rather than "R. SMYTH" and "J. SMITH". I would imagine your situation would fall into the same category.

The Calgary Stampeders once had 2 guys with the same name!

So their initials had to do with their positions, not the first name!

Trivia time--name the players!

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The initials usually get tacked on only if the spelling is identical. The pronunciations don't necessarily have to be the same. It's meant to clarify what you read on the uniforms.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I remember that... it looked bizarre :)

Smith, Darrell 1982-83

Smith, Daryl 1982

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I remember that... it looked bizarre :)

Smith, Darrell 1982-83

Smith, Daryl 1982

Well then I'm remembering a similar incident (perhaps CIS?) I clearly remember seeing a last name then "WR" after it

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

Β 

"The Mothership" β€’ News β€’ Facebook β€’ X/Twitter β€’ Instagram

FYI, the Eagles have a Mike Patterson and Martin Patterson. They both have their full names on their jerseys. It looks really wierd for Martin Patterson, because it looks like they had to use a special condensed font to get the whole thing on there.

FYI#2

In a preseason game vs. the Ravens, Maritn patterson and Mike McCoy both wore #51. They were on the field at the same time, and Brian Billick bitched about it, so Patterson had to leave the field and trade jerseys with J. Trotter and then come back in the game.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

FYI#2

In a preseason game vs. the Ravens, Maritn patterson and Mike McCoy both wore #51. They were on the field at the same time, and Brian Billick bitched about it, so Patterson had to leave the field and trade jerseys with J. Trotter and then come back in the game.

Billick needs his head examined, it's preseason!

km3S7lo.jpg

Β 

Zqy6osx.png

Β 

FYI#2

Billick needs his head examined, it's preseason!

You should have seen the "are you serious?" look Andy Reid gave Billick when he realized that Billick was actually going to make Patterson switch jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

FYI, the Eagles have a Mike Patterson and Martin Patterson. They both have their full names on their jerseys. It looks really wierd for Martin Patterson, because it looks like they had to use a special condensed font to get the whole thing on there.

For 14 seasons, the Los Angeles Rams had both Jack and Jim Youngblood on their defense. They put the first names in smaller letters above the last names. (I could only find a picture of Jack, sorry.)

jy1.jpg

(By the way, they are not related to each other.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

For 14 seasons, the Los Angeles Rams had both Jack and Jim Youngblood on their defense. They put the first names in smaller letters above the last names. (I could only find a picture of Jack, sorry.)

jy1.jpg

(By the way, they are not related to each other.)

Wow, I never new that. Nice find.

Didn't the Rams do that more than once? I thought I remembered seeing an old NFL video with that same name scheme, only the last name wasn't Youngblood. Nice way of using space, IMO.

As an aside, what about two players who share the same last name and the first names begin with the same letter (example: Matt and Mike)? How would this work?

As an aside, what about two players who share the same last name and the first names begin with the same letter (example:Β  Matt and Mike)?Β  How would this work?

As BBTV noted with the Mike and Martin Patterson scenario in Philly, they could put their full names on the nameplate. Or, as I'm sure I've seen but can't remember a specific example of, they might put the first two letters of the first name on the jersey ? again using the Eagles example, MA. PATTERSON and MI. PATTERSON.

EDIT: Oh, that was post #1,500. I almost missed it. Yay for me!

As an aside, what about two players who share the same last name and the first names begin with the same letter (example:Β  Matt and Mike)?Β  How would this work?

As BBTV noted with the Mike and Martin Patterson scenario in Philly, they could put their full names on the nameplate. Or, as I'm sure I've seen but can't remember a specific example of, they might put the first two letters of the first name on the jersey ? again using the Eagles example, MA. PATTERSON and MI. PATTERSON.

EDIT: Oh, that was post #1,500. I almost missed it. Yay for me!

The Browns had to spell out ANDRE DAVIS and ANDRA DAVIS. Same with the Flyers when they had RON and RICH SUTTER (who wore #14 and #15, just to be more confusing). Some things can't be avoided.

Didn't the St. Louis Cardinals have 3 Smiths (Bryn, Lonnie, Ozzie) at the same time? Is that some kind of record?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived