ESPN sacks Alberts

Survival79

ESPN sacks Alberts: College analyst fired after tiring of 'second-fiddle' role

"He phoned and said that he wasn't going to show up," Mark Shapiro, ESPN's Vice President of Programming and Production, told SI.com on Tuesday night, "and when he didn't, he was in breach of his contract and we terminated him."

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

ESPN sacks Alberts: College analyst fired after tiring of 'second-fiddle' role
"He phoned and said that he wasn't going to show up," Mark Shapiro, ESPN's Vice President of Programming and Production, told SI.com on Tuesday night, "and when he didn't, he was in breach of his contract and we terminated him."

Damn, that's a shocker. It's too bad, he's got the most personality of all of their analysts. Hmmm...Alberts fired after Nick Lachey gets the "special guest host of fluff pieces" seat on College Gameday. Coincidence, I think not.... :P

Good luck, Trev!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Ah, Trev Albers...the spark for that infamous Bill Polian rant at the NFL Draft..:lol:

Personally, I never liked Trev that much...May's much better, IMO. Wonder who they'll bring in to take that spot on College Gameday Scoreboard and Final...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Well, since you mentioned the Bill Polian tirade, how about the man, the myth, the hair...Mel Kiper, Jr. :D

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

That was one of the best draft moments ever. Turns out Kiper was right since ALberst was a bad pick as 11 yeras later Dilfer is still in NFL and ALberts had what like 3 or 4 years.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Dilfer is still a starter in the league, a former Pro-Bowler, and has a Super Bowl ring.

Alberts played all of three seasons and accumulated 4 career sacks and 1 INT.

I would say Kiper was right.

6uXNWAo.png

That sucks cause he was pretty good at what he did. And for what it's worth, I think he's better than Herbstreit.

I thought Alberts was terrible. There is a clip somewhere on the internet that shows him making a bold prediction one week concerning the BCS, then completely changing his mind the next and actually contradicting what he said the week before. I mean it was brutal. His predictions were about as concrete as a feather. The guy was all fluff and a bandwagoner, and no substance.

And I'm as amazed as anyone that Karsten killed himself. That's definitely a shocker.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Agreed. But, since his wife is too busy helping little boys learn how to do a certain action because she's bastardizing Daisy Dukes' character from the Duke of Hazzard, he had to do something.

Working on ESPN isn't it. Oh, and I have an idea of who to replace Trev 'Cornsucker Fanboy' Alberts: Desmond Howard.

just because you like sports doesnt mean you should get it. Garbage! He is to ESPN College Game day as Dennis Miller was to MNF.

At least Dennis Miller has some expieience and credibility, similar to Rush Limbaugh when he was on NFL Countdown. They know they game and can at least add some flavor and personality to the program. Lachey does none of that IMO.

6uXNWAo.png

Dennis Miller, Rush Limbaugh, and Nick Lachey weren't brought on their respective shows because of their football acumen. They didn't have any credibility when it came to sports, it was all about ratings. I think Dennis Miller did a good job, but the Rush Limbaugh experiment was a complete and total failure. ESPN's stupidest move, IMHO.

Nick Lachey is qualified to interview superstar entertainers because he's married to one, I guess. He's only going to be there for one season, you'll live.

Archived