Thanksgiving

worst. jersey. ever.

um...no.

While I didn't enjoy Chi-town's throwbacks (ugh), how can you not love the Cowboys and Lions throwbacks? I think both have very classic unis. Plus, it also helped bring back, if only for one game, my beloved Patriots Pat Patriot throwback in 2002. But I think Thanksgiving is the perfect occasion for such throwbacks. In fact, I think you'll find that as the consensus among members of this board. Many (myself included) would like to see throwback jerseys for all teams during Thanksgiving week.

Indeed. I feel thoroughly insulted by football teams that wear uniforms that don't meet my esthetic requirements for the holiday season. I expect the NFL to put the same amount of thought and effort into decorating their players as I do into decorating my table. (Construction paper pilgrim centerpiece and a turkey with a traced-hand tail for those who are interested)

This one time, at Grandma's, I actually even changed the channel to a hockey game . . . or wait, was that my sister's wedding?

I have to agree with WJE, at least with the Lions. I grew up in Detroit and suffered watching a team play terribly for years. But on Thanksgiving in those throwbacks, they looked even more terrible.

As for the Cowboys, I like the throwbacks. I think they are pretty sharp.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Here is a list of throwbacks I would like this year's Thanksgiving teams to wear.

Falcons: A set from when they wore the red helmets.

Broncos: The "Orange Crush" unis.

Also, some throwbacks that I would like to see other teams were:

Seahawks: The Steve Largent era unis.

Titans: The old Houston Oilers unis.

Giants: The 80's-90's unis.

Eagles: Either the 1970's - early 1980's unis or the Randall Cunningham era unis.

Cardinals: The old St. Louis Cardinals unis that had some black in them.

Texans: The old Dallas Texans unis.

Chiefs: The 1960's unis.

I agree with sacker, those are some unis i'd like to see, especially the red helmet falcons. but the bears unis they wore last year on turkey day were gross, and the colts unis they just changed things around and put the horseshoes on the back of the helmet? it was terrible, i couldnt even watch the game

Man, you're even cooler than I thought. :P

There's one thing that's always said about the Lions playing on Thanksgiving, it their "Superbowl".  It's really the only time that America gets a chance to see the Lions play.  But now America gets to see them in their not so popular black uniforms.

The simplicity of those Lions throwbacks make them "the" throwback uniform. If we have to watch this sorry assed team every Thanksgiving, we should at least get to watch them in those sweet throwbacks.

With you guys 100% on those Colts helmets. I for one hate the Dallas Cowboys throwbacks, but I'm a 'Skins fan, I hate everything about the Cowgirls, except their cheerleaders. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The NFL ditched the Thanksgiving throwback concept this year, I understand. But if they went back to it, I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions try a 60s throwback with the plain blue lion and blue stripes on the helmet. The jerseys would be similar to the old throwback because both would use silver numbers, though they might try to fit the stripes onto the sleeves. Or would sleevelets be a better description?

I agree with sacker, those are some unis i'd like to see, especially the red helmet falcons. but the bears unis they wore last year on turkey day were gross, and the colts unis they just changed things around and put the horseshoes on the back of the helmet? it was terrible, i couldnt even watch the game

No, they didn't "change things around." They wore uniforms from a previous era on a day that celebrates a century-old tradition. Thanksgiving Day football is about tradition, whether it be the Lions and Cowboys, or your family's Turkey Bowl out at the local high school field. It means autumn, brown leaves, and chilly weather. Shame on the Detroit Lions for abandoning that this year in favor of those disgusting black uniforms. Five years ago the lions didn't even have black in their color scheme. Real traditional. <_<

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Okay, since there are so many Lions fans in one place in this thread, can one of you explain this logo?

DET_472.gif

It reminds me so much of the emblems on the original Ford Mustang

mustang_emblem.jpg

that it makes me think the Ford family was trying their hand at some cross-branding or product placement. Maybe a rejected emblem for what would become the Mercury Cougar?

tzch6.jpg

The NFL ditched the Thanksgiving throwback concept this year, I understand.

I dont think they ditched the concept, I know for a fact that the Cowboys at least will wear the throwbacks with the white helmets and blue star for the Thanksgiving game.

metslogo_215.gif

Okay, since there are so many Lions fans in one place in this thread, can one of you explain this logo?

DET_472.gif

mustang_emblem.jpg

that it makes me think the Ford family was trying their hand at some cross-branding or product placement. Maybe a rejected emblem for what would become the Mercury Cougar?

Detroit is the motor city. American History 101.

DET_472.gif

mustang_emblem.jpg

that it makes me think the Ford family was trying their hand at some cross-branding or product placement.  Maybe a rejected emblem for what would become the Mercury Cougar?

Detroit is the motor city. American History 101.

The Ford Family also owns the Lions...

spikes.jpg

I think the Cowboys are technically wearing their alternate uniform on Thanksgiving. It just happens to look a lot like their original uniform.

Actually I think it's considered a throwback. The white helmet makes it more than an alternate set - teams can't have "alternate" helmets.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived