AstroBowl I - College Challenge

TBGKon

I like your ideas, Patty, but I think they need to be cleaned up for better reproducibility. Otherwise, they end up looking like photos rather than logos. Your gladiator helmet and shield look very good, but as Odds said, there are a few too many lighting effects on them. Take some artistic license and use your judgment to set up a simple network of ihighlights and shadows that imply the shape and depth. Maybe add to the outlines a bit, as they are very thin right now. That's just me, though, I'm a thick outline or no outline person; I dislike thin outlines because it makes logos look too much like clipart. I find bold lines define a logo much better than thin lines, also. I like how the font looks on the jerseys, but I think I would go with a solid color + single outline for the wordmark, again, to make it more bold and less delicate. Finally, the C Shield should be your helmet logo. It's nice for a school to use its institutional initial on the helmet, and that logo is really a great idea, and well-executed, especially once it is simplified. I would drop the wordmark from the C Shield logo as well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was doing a little research, and while they are still officially the "Indians", they've pretty much abandoned it for "Crimson Bears."

Just thought I'd let you know..I'll probably do IUP if it's still eligible.

For a few years, we were just plain "IUP". No nickname. Then, they decided to bring back the Indians nickname, but remove all images, hence the bear mascot. Rediculous if you ask me.

They put other nicknames up for a vote, but decided to go back to Indians. The other nicknames you ask? Fighting Squirrils, Jumpin' Jimmies (for Jimmy Stewart), the Oaks, and another one that I can't remember right now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I decided to take on Alcorn State. I took a more humorous approach, so I present to you --

fighting-pacifists.png

The Fighting Pacifists of Alcorn State!!!

Pacifism is defined by the use of the white flag and peace dove as a secondary. The tattered flag represents the fighting spirit, while the silver in the dove stands for peace being tarnished.

Here is a larger version of the helmet.

fp-helmet.png

Enjoy.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Anyone daring to try a new logo for Newberry College (S.C.)? Maybe something with a palmetto tree? The school's colors are scarlet and gray...

Something like the original Florida State concept change might look cool....

I'm doing one for Newberry College, actually...I'll probably unveil it tonight, just got a couple of finishing touches to make. I actually used scarlet and grey too...lol

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

A white flag used for surrendering or calling a truce, not a symbol for pacifism.

The symbols collectively are being used to represent this. Keep in mind, they're called FIGHTING PACIFISTS. It is an oxymoron. If you are a pacifist, you are opposed to armed conflict to solve issues. Hence, you would rather surrender than fight.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

A white flag used for surrendering or calling a truce, not a symbol for pacifism.

The symbols collectively are being used to represent this. Keep in mind, they're called FIGHTING PACIFISTS. It is an oxymoron. If you are a pacifist, you are opposed to armed conflict to solve issues. Hence, you would rather surrender than fight.

You shouldn't have to explain it. If someone doesn't get it, it's their problem not yours. I like the idea and I like the colors...however, I think throwing some yellow in there would be sweet since cowards are called "yellow" or "yellow bellied." Just a thought, I like it anyway. Especially the dove secondary! It's too intelligent and clever for it's own good...lol :D

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You shouldn't have to explain it. If someone doesn't get it, it's their problem not yours. I like the idea and I like the colors...however, I think throwing some yellow in there would be sweet since cowards are called "yellow" or "yellow bellied." Just a thought, I like it anyway. Especially the dove secondary! It's too intelligent and clever for it's own good...lol :D

Thanks Greg. I appreciate your comment. :)

shysters_sm.jpg

Solid concept.  Good colors and the iconic nature of the helmet has an intimidating nature to it.

I absolutely agree. Great, great stuff you got there GJ.

Hey, thanks guys. As a complete hack at this, it took me waaaay longer than it should have. If I ever have a fantasy team, this is going to be the package!

Anyway, I showed the knight to a friend (all the lights were out in my room, and only the monitor was on) and it actually scared her a little. Once I saw her reaction, I knew I was done with it...lol.

Quantum, at first read I though you said it said an "iccomics" nature! :D I really need to start sleeping more...

My first real concept and it took me really long. I tried to use a very bright orange like the Charlotte Bobcats and black. I don't think it came out very well. I'm not entering this in the competition because I forgot to use one of the school's colors. I'll try to add some maroon. Also I wasn't able to recolor my logo at all or put it on the helmet or sleeves for some reason. I also had trouble with helmet stripes, jersey stripes and pant stripes. I'm going to try to fix this up a little more and if it gets substantially better I'll enter it.

C&C please B)

centralmichiganwolves.png

buffalo_sig.png

Archived