AstroBowl I - College Challenge

TBGKon

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's my entry - the Arkansas State Slick Willies.

I'm such an ass. :D

ncaa_arkst.gif

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!

Funniest.

Concept.

Ever!

:notworthy:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Here's my entry - the Arkansas State Slick Willies.

I'm such an ass. :D

ncaa_arkst.gif

This is the s#!t, Unwind! The cigar is effing genius! :notworthy:

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Just for the Illinois and Carthage guys:

First off, great jobs!

For Illinois, I'd be interested to know where you got Redfox from. I grew up near Champaign, and I can't say I saw more than 2 or 3 foxes in 20+ years. However I saw a ton of deer, coyotes, and cardinals. But its still a good concept and this is just fantasy.

For Carthage, two things. I'd never had thought of a Gladiators mascot. Very good use of the college's name "Carthage." Mainly I never would have thought of that because the school doesn't really reference the Roman city of Carthage in its publications or anything. But I don't think its anything to hide from, so Gladiators is a nice pick. The school actually uses Lincoln as much as possible, as he was a member of the board when the school started as Illinois State College way back. It then moved to Carthage, IL where it took on the name Carthage College. In the mid 50's the school again relocated to Kenosha, WI where its been battered by the frigid wind of Lake Michigan, Seagulls, and Japanese beetles ever since.

I would seriously consider dropping the "college" part. I worked in the GD department, and we were told numerous times not to use "Carthage College" but only "Carthage." The president of the college is really trying to brand the name, usually saying something like "Its not Harvard College or Yale University, its only Harvard or Yale."

Just something to make the concept more realistic.

First off, great jobs!

For Illinois, I'd be interested to know where you got Redfox from.  I grew up near Champaign, and I can't say I saw more than 2 or 3 foxes in 20+ years.  However I saw a ton of deer, coyotes, and cardinals.  But its still a good concept and this is just fantasy. 

Thanks man. Well, I decided on Redfox for Illinois because

a. It would let me stay close to their current color scheme.

b. The state animal is a White Tail Deer, but I didn't want to do a deer themed concept, and then I read on and it said Redfox were common and indigenous to Illinois and surrounding states.

First off, great jobs!

For Illinois, I'd be interested to know where you got Redfox from.  I grew up near Champaign, and I can't say I saw more than 2 or 3 foxes in 20+ years.  However I saw a ton of deer, coyotes, and cardinals.  But its still a good concept and this is just fantasy. 

Thanks man. Well, I decided on Redfox for Illinois because

a. It would let me stay close to their current color scheme.

b. The state animal is a White Tail Deer, but I didn't want to do a deer themed concept, and then I read on and it said Redfox were common and indigenous to Illinois and surrounding states.

Damn, I thought you named it after Redd Foxx, the comedian/actor famous for bringing the world Fred Sanford...

duh-duh-da-da...

duh-duh-da-da-da-da-da

:D

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

For Carthage, two things. I'd never had thought of a Gladiators mascot. Very good use of the college's name "Carthage." Mainly I never would have thought of that because the school doesn't really reference the Roman city of Carthage in its publications or anything. But I don't think its anything to hide from, so Gladiators is a nice pick. The school actually uses Lincoln as much as possible, as he was a member of the board when the school started as Illinois State College way back. It then moved to Carthage, IL where it took on the name Carthage College. In the mid 50's the school again relocated to Kenosha, WI where its been battered by the frigid wind of Lake Michigan, Seagulls, and Japanese beetles ever since.

I would seriously consider dropping the "college" part. I worked in the GD department, and we were told numerous times not to use "Carthage College" but only "Carthage." The president of the college is really trying to brand the name, usually saying something like "Its not Harvard College or Yale University, its only Harvard or Yale."

Just something to make the concept more realistic.

I certainly appreciate the input--

I think it sounds better as just 'Carthage' as well, so I'll definitely drop the 'college'.

I found just one page on their website that referred to the Carthage of antiquities. I know they don't play it up, but the Greek and to a lesser extent the Romans were all about school and knowledge and forward thinking. I figured it made a good match with the college, whether they'd played it up yet or not.

Concept should be up soon, got primary and secondary logo done, and about 4/5ths of the uni finished.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

That Carthage Gladiators concept is un-freakin'-believable! They should actually use that. The only thing I'm not totally sold with is the secondary. The way "Gladiators" wraps around the shield look kinda off to me. Seriously, StPatty33, that is a work of art.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

That Carthage Gladiators concept is un-freakin'-believable! They should actually use that. The only thing I'm not totally sold with is the secondary. The way "Gladiators" wraps around the shield look kinda off to me. Seriously, StPatty33, that is a work of art.

Thanks, eh!

To be honest the "GladiatorS" on the secondary logo was kind of last-minute. It looked kind of plain without a wordmark (I was thinking more that it'd be a shoulder logo on like a hockey jersey or something) so I just tossed one on there and messed with it a little.

Thanks for the praise though, guys!

Also, AAO, what would you have done differently with the jerseys? I'd like to perfect the concept--though this would stay as my contest entry, of course.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

Archived