NHL Opening Night patch

stpmn

All NHL teams will wear this Katrina Relief Fund patch on Opening Night. Each team will wear the set with this patch only for the first period. After that, teams will break into their normal set of game jerseys. The NHL will then auction off the jerseys for the fund.

katrina8dw.jpg

As posted two weeks ago, the Wild will then debut the Fifth Anniversary patch.

wild5th8lk.jpg

Why would they wear it only for a period? Is the patch not aerodynamic enough or is it too heavy for the jerseys? Is it because they care about the relief fund for only 20 minutes?

It's not like they're gonna auction them during the game (or is it?) ^_^

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

that is exactly why.

HOw do you know?

Show me some something that says the NHL plan to hold auctions DURING the contests tommorrow, please.

THis one period thing is a dumb idea.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

This is the only information I got on the subject, but there is no mention on when the jerseys will be auctioned.

NHL link

For the first period of each team's home opener, players will wear a jersey bearing a special patch confirming the Clubs' and players' commitment to the people and communities impacted. The jerseys will be collected and then auctioned by League auction partner Truition Inc., on NHL.com, all NHL member Club websites, and NHLPA.com. Further details will be released as they are finalized.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I think you're missing the point. At least they're doing something! Who cares if they just wear them in pregame warmups or out of the damn tunnel.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Wild are also wearing jerseys for warmup. Each player will wear the number "1" with "Wild Fans" on the back. During the introduction of players before the game, each player will present their warmup jersey to a pre-selected season ticket holder at centre ice.

So yes, that means three sets of sweaters for the first game for MN.

Heck...its a great way to get rid of all of the CCM/KOHO jerseys in stock. Now they don't have to put a Reebok patch over the old logo.

Heck...its a great way to get rid of all of the CCM/KOHO jerseys in stock. Now they don't have to put a Reebok patch over the old logo.

They actually do that in the major junior league. In a few cases, they ever put them over Nike and Bauer logos and then the stitching comes off and it's funny to see. Besides that, they never bother to remove those old Bauer and Nike tags from the inside of the collar either.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I think you're missing the point. At least they're doing something! Who cares if they just wear them in pregame warmups or out of the damn tunnel.

That's not what I meant... I'm glad that they are doing something to support the relief fund. That is a great idea. But would it be so hard to wear that patch for a whole game? Better yet, why wouldn't they do three sets with the patch, wear one jersey for every period, then auction them all?

Don't get me wrong here, I think it's a great move by the NHL, but they might have done something better than wearing it for just one period...

I love the idea of a patch being aerodynamically impossible to wear. Doc Crosby comes out of the tunnel and spins horizontally in midair and hits the ice, then can't get up until that tiny patch is torn off.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Yes, it's nice they are doing something for charity, but perhaps it could be done differently.

Wear them for the whole game. Give them a chance to actually get some "game use" marks or a rip here and there.

Make them more exclusive and just have the team Captains wear them for the entire game, like the Hockey Fights Cancer program. There would be less of them with that one game patch and, for the most part, star players like Sakic and Thornton. You might raise the same amount of money and give the buyers something more exclusive for their purchase. Sure beats a end of the bench defenseman who sits all period. I'd rather have 1 of 30 than 1 of 600.

It just seems to me they are getting carried away with these "game used" jerseys. There's a difference between "used up" and "used once".

Oh well, it's for a good cause.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Wow, they do something nice and all you people bash them. If you feel so badly about not putting players names on the back of jerseys (which the Yankees and Sox should just follow everybody else and start new traditions), then why should the league put even a patch on the jerseys?

I commend the league for their actions, and this should do nicely.

Calgary did not wear the Katrina patch last night against Minnesota. They had their 25th Anniversary patch on all night.

Edit: I read on a game worn jersey forum that only the home teams will wear the patch for their home openers.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived