Stop the madness of alternate 3rd jersey!

Hat Boy

I like some of the alternates, The Charges throwback powder blue is awsome, the Texans red and the Titans powder blue are nicer than their regular jerseys. I think that they should only be allowed to wear them once in the season and that they should be throwbacks for the most part.

I personally think that NHL alts ARE the best (but of course I also think that hockey jerseys are the best uniforms out there).

As for the ones TCR put up. The Anaheim one was the failed 94 experiment and was used in what? 1 game? The Mooterus uni sucked so bad the Stars are ditching it.

I like the Canucks gradient jersey and as for Nashville it won't matter what jersey they are wearing or how ugly a yellow it is they will be too busy tearing up the Western Conference this year for anyone to notice!

The bruins need to change Winnie the Pooh though.....thats the only one I really don't like.

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

Generally, alts tend to suck - especially in the NFL (I'm talking about the atrocities worn by the likes of the Ravens, Bengals, Patriots, Dolphins, Eagles, Lions, Bears and Titans). However, I love this one...

rodsmith_orange.jpg

Sooooooo much better than what they normally wear, and would tie in to team history.

as much as i hate alternates, especially in baseball because i am a purist i have come to tolerate them in the regular season. however i think the alternates should be ditched in the playoffs.  teams should be worrying about winning the games not what color shirt they are gonna wear.......exhibit A: Atlanta Braves.  ALthough i have no doubt that the Astros will break out one of their 27 alternates before the division series is over.

Easiest. Predicition. Ever.

From game 2 of Astros/Braves NLDS Thursday night ...

AXS101100620_640x480.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

well at first i thought it may be edited, because of the white line through the middle and the stripes on the pants ar screwed up but like the dirt marks and things like tha in the backround match up so. and Jones is a little off the ground but he still owns him in the height department.

...and hockey, I personally think has the best alternates. I don't know why - the hockey ones just look great.

Although hockey's alts are not all good (Bruins), at least they are a different design than the normal uniforms. In baseball, they just change the color or take off the pin stripes and they think they got something special.

P.S. I know Ron Jaworski isn't dead. It was a take off of a Simpsons joke. The Springfield Symphony Orchestra was playing the music form "Star Wars." Homer made the comment: "Could that bassoon have come in any later? John Williams must be spinning in his grave."

However, I love this one...

rodsmith_orange.jpg

Sooooooo much better than what they normally wear, and would tie in to team history.

This one shouldn't really count as an alt. It is more like correcting one of the biggest mistakes in Broncos history.

55846099DB027_2005_NLDS_Hou100518_640x480.jpg

How tall is Andruw Jones? He towers over that person. Who is it i'm not sure?

They really have to stop letting the bat boys play. I know it was a blow out and everything, but jeez...

And yep, it's Marcus Giles (a very good major league baseball player, BTW)

So alts = loss, huh?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

as much as i hate alternates, especially in baseball because i am a purist i have come to tolerate them in the regular season. however i think the alternates should be ditched in the playoffs. teams should be worrying about winning the games not what color shirt they are gonna wear.......exhibit A: Atlanta Braves. ALthough i have no doubt that the Astros will break out one of their 27 alternates before the division series is over.

I agree. It should be just white and grey in October.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

as much as i hate alternates, especially in baseball because i am a purist i have come to tolerate them in the regular season. however i think the alternates should be ditched in the playoffs.  teams should be worrying about winning the games not what color shirt they are gonna wear.......exhibit A: Atlanta Braves.  ALthough i have no doubt that the Astros will break out one of their 27 alternates before the division series is over.

Easiest. Predicition. Ever.

From game 2 of Astros/Braves NLDS Thursday night ...

AXS101100620_640x480.jpg

A couple of things:

1.) It's not Sunday, so the Astros should NOT have worn the alt roads. This really burns me. It's laziness by the equipment people to not wash the regular grey jerseys for the next day. And it's also bad luck: the Astros have only worn the brick road alts 4 times for a non-Sunday game.

a.) Game 7 of 2004 NLCS - LOST

b.) Mets 2004 home opener - LOST

c.) Game 2 of DH in Pittsburgh - WON

d.) Game 2 of 2005 NLDS - LOST

SO QUIT WEARING THEM WHEN YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO, HOUSTON!!!

2.) The Astros will wear alts at least once, maybe 2 more times in this series. Saturday games usually call for the all-white alts, and Sunday is a red-brick alt day. They had a similar schedule for last season's NLDS, and they followed that plan. Last year, the Astros wore their primary pinstripes once: Game 5 of the NLCS.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I think the alternate jersey should be special in all regards and think the nfl does good with that. I love alternate jerseys, but i am more concerned with many combinations. I like to have variety and i think its even better than alternate jerseys.

I think the braves definitely need to ditch the red alt and go with a navy alt. But one thing i want to see in baseball is monochromes instead of three color schemes like the braves, the astros, and red sox. Either do the monochromes or make the alternate hats the same as the jerseys or do a white or gray hat that match the pants. The pirates, royals, and o's used gray hats, and the red sox, mets, and diamondbacks used white hats in the 90's.

I also like colored pants in baseball like they used to in the 70's and early 80's. Only if they had them more modern that it would match to the uni's of today.

I think the alternate jersey should be special in all regards and think the nfl does good with that. I love alternate jerseys, but i am more concerned with many combinations. I like to have variety and i think its even better than alternate jerseys.

But that's the problem, cc. You're almost asking for 2 things that aren't possible together. On one hand, you want variety - multiple color combinations that can be mixed & matched to dizzying numbers of possible looks. But the very name of an "alternate" jerseys implies that it is there to be an occasional change of pace from the primary uniforms - so named because they are the ones worn primarily.

Besides, the purpose behind uniforms is uniformity. You wear uniforms to distinguish you and your team from the other teams. You achieve that by developing a certain look - colors, lettering, striping - and making that look consistent, so that fans and spectators can identify who you are by the colors and patterns you wear. Think of the "birds on a bat", the small red numbers on the front of a baseball jersey, the white "G" in a green oval on a gold helmet. These small, partial images make you think of only 1 team, because they are distinctive and have come to be easily recognizable aspects of the Cardinals, Dodgers and Packers. If you're wearing a different look every time you step on the field, there is no consistency. People won't know who you are if you don't look the same from one game to the next.

There are a lot of simple people who like things simple. If a team is wearing white one day, red the next, and black the day after that, they'll get all confused and cry.

I also like colored pants in baseball like they used to in the 70's and early 80's. Only if they had them more modern that it would match to the uni's of today.

It'd look like a minor league softball game. Very dated look in a game that is returning to more traditional looks. But since everything old is new again, you'll probably have your wish sooner than you think...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I like alternate jerseys, to an extent. I equate them somewhat to the concept of 'casual friday.'

However, nothing is casual about the playoffs. Keep it professional, boys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived