Stop the madness of alternate 3rd jersey!

Hat Boy

(Nobody freak out about this, just take it with a grain of salt.)

In the thread about the Patriots 3rd jersey, there are all sorts of comments about how the jersey should be red, they should change the shade or silver, etc. We all know that what they actually should do is get rid of them. Most alternate jerseys are ugly (Lions' balck, Dolphins' orange), but all of them are pointless. That sports marketing stuff is a bunch of BS, because fans will buy stuff that isn't on the field of play. The Bears have an orange fashion jersey, but the team doesn't lower itself by wearing it, because we all know the Bears wear blue at home and white on the road. The Eagles in black? Ron Jawarski must be spinning in his grave.

I don't want to sound like the grumpy old man from Saturday Night Live, but:

"Back in my day, teams had one uniform for home and one uniform for away and we liked it." :cursing:

But it works for baseball because there's so MANY games.. and hockey, I personally think has the best alternates. I don't know why - the hockey ones just look great.

The problem with alternates, is that at some point they stop being alternate jerseys. Look at teams like the Marlins and Cubs, the two biggest offenders I can think of in MLB. To term a jersey as an "alternate" means that it is meant to be an occasional change of pace. But some teams wear their alternate jersey 3-4 games a week. And they're often worn for consecutive games. It's usages like this that defeat the original concept of the alternate.

The primary jerseys are also named along the same principle - the home whites and road grays (or dark homes and white roads for the NHL) are meant to be the jerseys that are primarily worn. But teams, driven either by merchandising flacks or by letting the players choose their uniforms, are wearing the alternates too much.

At least the NFL regulates this pretty tightly, so that the primary uniforms are used primarily. If the other leagues could legislate some sane use of alternates, I wouldn't mind them. But in baseball, they look like softball uniforms, and are being used way too much.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

QUOTE (Hat Boy @ Wednesday, October 5th, 2005 - 22:51:12)

The Eagles in black? Ron Jawarski must be spinning in his grave.

Ron Jaworski isn't in his grave yet. He's still living.

Yes, you must be thinking about Nipsey Russell. If he wasn't dead, he'd have a poem about 3rd jerseys

nipsey2.jpg

Must agree overall. As I've stated on this board before, alt uni's should be special, not simply a third jersey.

Hey, don't kill Jaws off yet. Who else could tell us that the backup tight end runs an out pattern on third downs with less than 2 minutes left in the half!!!!

I must say, I was nearly aghast to see the Braves in their Sunday home unis for today's playoff game. Idiots. :cursing:

I am descending from my soapbox now. :D

savedpictures013-1.jpg

After seeing the Braves get pasted today, I thought to myself, "Well, that's the last we'll ever see of those atrocities."

Optimism, people, optimism.

To think that the Patriots' pointless silver alt and the Braves' garish red alt may have both been killed in the same week - this could turn out to be a great week for uni lovers.

Now, let's make a big push for the Pats to do the red alts, because the mockups you guys have done on here look un-flippin'-believable.

And let's either get the Braves a navy blue alt or something with sleeve feathers, while we're at it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Eagles in black?  Ron Jawarski must be spinning in his grave. 

Ron Jaworski isn't in his grave yet. He's still living.

Yeah, he's an analyst for ESPN or something.

Ya think!? He's only been working at ESPN since the invention of the television.

6uXNWAo.png

well it is the year 2005. We got sportscenter as a stable of american lore. It use to be a time where the only sports highlights you get was your local anchorman's 5 minute recap. And now we got like gizzons sports channels.

Hell, I blame the fad where you had like all the different colors of the rainbow versions of a team. I saw people wear green, yellow, purple, grey, and white versions of Yankees hats. But you know, I think the whole alt craze started with college basketball. They don't have alts but rather two different versions of their away unis. Like for instance, my beloved Virginia Cavs always had both a orange and a blue away unis. Which one was considered the alt and the regular? Who knows?

And with this awareness of sports fashion, that spilled into other avenues like football and baseball. Think about it, here we are MEN talking about fashion. Is sports fashion the only acceptable MALE HETROSEXUAL fashion we can talk about. This forum is made up we all of us who like sports fashion.

So yes the era of the alt is here to stay.

And with this awareness of sports fashion, that spilled into other avenues like football and baseball. Think about it, here we are MEN talking about fashion. Is sports fashion the only acceptable MALE HETROSEXUAL fashion we can talk about. This forum is made up we all of us who like sports fashion.

So yes the era of the alt is here to stay.

considering the rest of men's fashion (at least waht the herd accepts) is pretty boring, I'd say this is it. the odd thing is some idiots even think THIS is off limits (a testament to that-I'd gotten an email from some moron last year basically equating what we do here with sexual preference. :rolleyes: I just LOVE ignorance, don't you?

shoot, they'd hate me :D To quote Robert Frost, I plan on takin a road less traveled soon. That's for another part of the boards though ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

hockey, I personally think has the best alternates.

roll the footage

thirdstars.jpg

thirdbruins.jpg

thirdpreds2.jpg

thirdcanucks.jpg

ducks3rd.jpg

why is the word "bruins" spelled out (shoulder/arm patch) on their alternate jersey...i've been trying to figure this out since '95. it would look cleaner to put the primary "B" logo on the shoulder in my opinon.

Hey, I happen to like the Canucks' gradient third.

The rest of 'em though... yeech.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

as much as i hate alternates, especially in baseball because i am a purist i have come to tolerate them in the regular season. however i think the alternates should be ditched in the playoffs. teams should be worrying about winning the games not what color shirt they are gonna wear.......exhibit A: Atlanta Braves. ALthough i have no doubt that the Astros will break out one of their 27 alternates before the division series is over.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Archived