Giants Owner Dies

Gothamite

What does it say about me that upon reading about Wellington Mara's death, I thought first about what kind of uniform tribute the Giants would provide (bearing in mind, in my defense, that I first read about his passing in Gothamite's post, so uniforms and logos were already on my mind)? Fess up if you thought the same thing so I feel better about myself.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So long as they don't create a permanent uniform memorial (although he deserves it more than the AL the Browns wear, which constantly bothers me since the man didn't actually do anything), I think a tribute is both appropriate and deserved.

Respectfully disagree, G'mite.

The Al Lerner nonsense in Cleveland aside, Wellington Mara is absolutely deserving of a permanent tribute, a la George Halas. The Bears saw fit to honor Mr. Halas, and I think Mr. Mara is thought of along those lines. He was at the first Giant game... 80 years ago. He was revered and adored by players for generations. Behind the scenes, he shaped a lot of what has become the modern NFL. And he was the New York Giants for well over a half-century.

If ever there was someone who deserved a tribute on the level of George Halas, it's Wellington Mara. (And this from an Eagles fan.)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

So long as they don't create a permanent uniform memorial (although he deserves it more than the AL the Browns wear, which constantly bothers me since the man didn't actually do anything), I think a tribute is both appropriate and deserved.

Respectfully disagree, G'mite.

The Al Lerner nonsense in Cleveland aside, Wellington Mara is absolutely deserving of a permanent tribute, a la George Halas. The Bears saw fit to honor Mr. Halas, and I think Mr. Mara is thought of along those lines. He was at the first Giant game... 80 years ago. He was revered and adored by players for generations. Behind the scenes, he shaped a lot of what has become the modern NFL. And he was the New York Giants for well over a half-century.

If ever there was someone who deserved a tribute on the level of George Halas, it's Wellington Mara. (And this from an Eagles fan.)

Agreed. This was one of the men who agreed to equitable sharing of TV revenues among all league teams when he could have made the Giants filthy rich at everyone else's expense by signing the Giants to their own deal. Instead of being Steinbrenner, he took the high road and wound up making everybody (including the small market teams) phenomenally successful. That is worthy of some sort of honor.

As for Al Lerner, that is a discussion for another day. As I recall/understand it, he set up Art Modell with his Baltimore connections, then, after the Browns moved, swooped in to buy the expansion version for himself. Not exactly a knight in shining armor.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Al Lerner somehow gets credited for bringing the Browns back to Cleveland. Which is nonsense - all he did was raise the money for a guaranteed franchise in a proven market. No risk whatsoever. To elevate him to the status of Halas is a farce at best.

I understand the contributions of the Mara family. I'm just not in favor of permanent uniform tributes. If you want to honor Wellington, resist the temptation to change his uniforms for temporary monitary gain. :P

What would be nice - and hopefully somebody at NFL World Domination HQ thinks of it - is asking Wilson to make up a bunch of balls with "THE DUKE" on them for this weekend's games.

(For those of you who don't know, the official pre-merger NFL ball had that logo stamped on it in honor of Mara, who was dubbed "The Duke of Wellington." THe NFL used balls with a similar stamp a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving throwbacks).

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived