Lane's Home Run

Jigga

Can we quit bitching about all the "horrible" calls that went in the Sox favor now? The Astros got a gift home run that should have been a foul ball.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Can we quit bitching about all the "horrible" calls that went in the Sox favor now?  The Astros got a gift home run that should have been a foul ball.

Considering it was in centerfield, I'm not sure how it would have been a foul ball...

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Foul ball? That was in front of the outfield... right inside between the foul poles.

That hit the wall.

But I don't know which is the rule for balls hit over the wall of that ballpark: double or HR.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

If it hits to the left of taht line its a live ball double triple wherever Lane can get thats what it is if it goes to the other side its a HR. Its one fo those unique features of Minute Maid Park.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Foul ball? That was in front of the outfield... right inside between the foul poles.

That hit the wall.

But I don't know which is the rule for balls hit over the wall of that ballpark: double or HR.

The way the park's set up, there should be a yellow line right above the padding on the wall...anything hitting above it is considered to be a homer (think of Ausmus's shot off the wall in Game 4 vs. Atlanta that was counted as a homer)...below it, it's still in play.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

It happens...

I love the screwed-up calls. It's one of the things i love about baseball. The Umpire is Lord of the field. What he says goes. It's an absolute power you don't see in sports anymore.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Sorry about my mis-step, didn't watch it, just heard it. Guy on the radio said foul ball...

my bad!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I don't blame this on the umps. I blame this on Minute Maid Park. I think in Houston, they tried to hard to be "unique" and have character. There was no need for that stupid, zig-zaggy home run line. They could have and should have just put a wall out, like everyone else.

This is the second time this has come up this postseason (they ended up getting the call right the first time). I wonder how oftehn it happens in the regular season.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Go Sox...It's been 88 years since our title win. Now, just one more game to go and we win it all. I believe in you and this is our year to shine. Not the overdone Yankees or some whinning Red Sox, it's the South Siders turn, the true working man's team. :notworthy:

whitesox2.gif

I don't blame this on the umps. I blame this on Minute Maid Park. I think in Houston, they tried to hard to be "unique" and have character. There was no need for that stupid, zig-zaggy home run line. They could have and should have just put a wall out, like everyone else.

[Hulk Hogan]Amen, brother... [\Hulk Hogan]

The same could be said for the contrived facets in the walls at the BOB, or whatever Chase is calling the D-Backs' park in Phoenix. Columns for no reason, overhanging balconies... :cursing:

Artificial contrivances being passed off as quirks are getting overdone. It's one thing to have a funky outfield wall like they do at Fenway or Wrigley, where they were trying to shoehorn a stadium into an existing parcel of land bounded by streets and other buildings. Even Oriole Park and Petco Park were built in such a way that the warehouse forced irregularities, but they made it genuine. Some of these newer places like AmeriQuest Field and Citizens Bank Park sit in the middle of oceans of parking lots... so why the contrived angles? Ugh...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Minute Maid Park is one of the worst ballparks in the league, IMO. There are a few things I don't like about it...

1. When looking towards the infield, it looks like a seemingly nice normal outdoor ballpark. But when the roof is closed, any shot of the upper decks in the outfield make it look it was built inside somesort of warehouse of airplane hangar, very much kind of like the Tropicana Dome, which has no outdoors-like atmosphere. (Great example...the big gray wall behind the scoreboard.)

2. The Crawford boxes in left field don't bother me. But those balconies hanging OVER the field in left-center do. And the fact that there is no obvious cut off point for a homerun (like hitting it over the wall in every other ballpark) just hitting it off that wall at a certain height, but only in certain spots, is good enough for a homerun, even though a fielder can very easily play the ball. (The way I see it, if hitting it over the Green Monster is what's needed to be considered a homerun in Boston, then it should apply to any outfield wall of ridiculous height.)

3. That stupid Gddamn hill in centerfield AND the flagpole ON the hill that is actually in play.

4. The fact that the whole field thing is sort of square shaped and not some sort of oblong triangle annoys me too.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I don't blame this on the umps.  I blame this on Minute Maid Park.  I think in Houston, they tried to hard to be "unique" and have character.  There was no need for that stupid, zig-zaggy home run line.  They could have and should have just put a wall out, like everyone else.

[Hulk Hogan]Amen, brother... [\Hulk Hogan]

The same could be said for the contrived facets in the walls at the BOB, or whatever Chase is calling the D-Backs' park in Phoenix. Columns for no reason, overhanging balconies... :cursing:

Artificial contrivances being passed off as quirks are getting overdone. It's one thing to have a funky outfield wall like they do at Fenway or Wrigley, where they were trying to shoehorn a stadium into an existing parcel of land bounded by streets and other buildings. Even Oriole Park and Petco Park were built in such a way that the warehouse forced irregularities, but they made it genuine. Some of these newer places like AmeriQuest Field and Citizens Bank Park sit in the middle of oceans of parking lots... so why the contrived angles? Ugh...

Exactly. Fenway and Wrigley are monuments to American urban history, constructed to be squeezed into a city block at a time when walking and streetcars dominated urban transportation.

All of minute made's quirks are just unneccesary and in the case of the hill and flag poles, dangerous.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

While I resent fake quirkiness in new parks, the other end of the spectrums is New Comiskey. Do we want that?

Agreed. But at the rate that parks are being built, "New" Comiskey could be considered a "relic of a bygone era", which is ridiculous. But it is pre-Oriole Park, so it does precede the retro-craze.

Had the Sox gone looking to build the new park these days, they could have picked a better location, or done more to build a park into a neighborhood. Admittedly I don't know the landscape of the South Side, but I would guess that there'd be a better location for the park, or a way to configure the park on the existing and that would afford it a chance to be more irregular.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

While I resent fake quirkiness in new parks, the other end of the spectrums is New Comiskey. Do we want that?

New Comisky is devoid of character.

You can have character without affecting the integrity of the game, though.

New Comisky is in the "new commisky era" After the domes but before the retro. It's too bad they did not wait a few years.

POTD (Shared)

Archived