Toronto to MLS

Brian in Boston

Okay, I hate soccer, I hate MLS and I don't care for my local Pro Team (The Rochester Rhinos), but...

THE FACT THAT TORONTO GETS A TEAM BEFORE ROCHESTER IS COMPLETE BS! We've had better attendance then the Toronto Lynx AND we actually have a stadium that is already being physically built! Gosh Darnit, I know the reasoning behind this and all (Toronto: Huge International City, Rochester, NY: Place that would be unknown outside the Northeast if it weren't for the fact it's name is on every KODAK camera.), but it's nuts that the people running the MLS continue to choose cities that have not had as much success as the Rhinos have had here!

Okay, carry on.

i've been to rochester, i've been to toronto. there is no way that rochester should even be mentioned in the same breath as toronto. i'm sorry, but that's the way it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, I hate soccer, I hate MLS and I don't care for my local Pro Team (The Rochester Rhinos), but...

THE FACT THAT TORONTO GETS A TEAM BEFORE ROCHESTER IS COMPLETE BS! We've had better attendance then the Toronto Lynx AND we actually have a stadium that is already being physically built! Gosh Darnit, I know the reasoning behind this and all (Toronto: Huge International City, Rochester, NY: Place that would be unknown outside the Northeast  if it weren't for the fact it's name is on every KODAK camera.), but it's nuts that the people running the MLS continue to choose cities that have not had as much success as the Rhinos have had here!

Okay, carry on.

You're crazy :)

The Toronto area has a population of around 5 million, it's a major media hub, it opens up Canada as a market, they're building a 25,000 seat soccer only stadium, downtown, there's a solid ownership group ready to take over (MLSE), and Toronto is the second most multicultral major city in the world.

Rochester has a population of 233,000; it has no appeal outside of the Rochester area; they are building a 17,000-seat soccer stadium downtown.

There's your race right there.

Agreed.

The fact that people think cities should get franchises just because the sport is more popular there is amusing... Rochester in soccer, Winnipeg in hockey.

Maybe in a perfect world. But major league sports it's all about the $$$$$$$ and growth potential.

I for one can tell you I dobut I'll go to a game when they start playing, I barely go to any sports games and unless the tickets are CHEAP and the team is good, I dobut I will be visiting the place. Now this opens the question of if the Argo's will ever be permitted to play in it, either exhibition or season game. This should be interesting...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

THE FACT THAT TORONTO GETS A TEAM BEFORE ROCHESTER IS COMPLETE BS! We've had better attendance then the Toronto Lynx AND we actually have a stadium that is already being physically built! Gosh Darnit, I know the reasoning behind this and all (Toronto: Huge International City, Rochester, NY: Place that would be unknown outside the Northeast  if it weren't for the fact it's name is on every KODAK camera.), but it's nuts that the people running the MLS continue to choose cities that have not had as much success as the Rhinos have had here!

Okay, carry on.

You're crazy :)

The Toronto area has a population of around 5 million, it's a major media hub, it opens up Canada as a market, they're building a 25,000 seat soccer only stadium, downtown, there's a solid ownership group ready to take over (MLSE), and Toronto is the second most multicultral major city in the world.

Rochester has a population of 233,000; it has no appeal outside of the Rochester area; they are building a 17,000-seat soccer stadium downtown.

There's your race right there.

I think the term you're looking for is "soccer-specific" stadium.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Here's what MLS would look like with 14 Teams (Toronto and another expansion team included):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(With Houston):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Chicago

Columbus

D.C. United

Kansas City

MetroStars

New England

Toronto (expansion team)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

C.D. Chivas USA

Colorado

FC Dallas

Houston (expansion team)

Los Angeles

Real Salt Lake

San Jose

(With Seattle):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Chicago

Columbus

D.C. United

Kansas City

MetroStars

New England

Toronto (expansion team)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

C.D. Chivas USA

Colorado

FC Dallas

Los Angeles

Real Salt Lake

San Jose

Seattle (expansion team)

(With Cincinnati):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Chicago

Cincinnati (expansion team)

Columbus

D.C. United

MetroStars

New England

Toronto (expansion team)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

C.D. Chivas USA

Colorado

FC Dallas

Kansas City

Los Angeles

Real Salt Lake

San Jose

(With Cleveland):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Chicago

Cleveland (expansion team)

Columbus

D.C. United

MetroStars

New England

Toronto (expansion team)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

C.D. Chivas USA

Colorado

FC Dallas

Kansas City

Los Angeles

Real Salt Lake

San Jose

(With St. Louis):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Chicago

Columbus

D.C. United

MetroStars

New England

St. Louis (expansion team)

Toronto (expansion team)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

C.D. Chivas USA

Colorado

FC Dallas

Kansas City

Los Angeles

Real Salt Lake

San Jose

(With Milwaukee):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Chicago

Columbus

D.C. United

MetroStars

Milwaukee (expansion team)

New England

Toronto (expansion team)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

C.D. Chivas USA

Colorado

FC Dallas

Kansas City

Los Angeles

Real Salt Lake

San Jose

(With Philadelphia):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Chicago

Columbus

D.C. United

MetroStars

New England

Philadelphia (expansion team)

Toronto (expansion team)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

C.D. Chivas USA

Colorado

FC Dallas

Kansas City

Los Angeles

Real Salt Lake

San Jose

(With Rochester):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Chicago

Columbus

D.C. United

MetroStars

New England

Rochester (expansion team)

Toronto (expansion team)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

C.D. Chivas USA

Colorado

FC Dallas

Kansas City

Los Angeles

Real Salt Lake

San Jose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about these alignments?

YOZXkBG.png?1

good for toronto :D

i think that they are definately diserving of a soccer team and i cant wait to hear a name so i can see all the concepts everybody makes. i remember a few months ago somebody make a toronto fc concept that was pretty good

anyway, i think helix is spot on when he says that mls doesnt really care to look into how popular the sport is in a certain area. if they did, st. louis would have a team now(there are like 5 players on the national team team from st. louis and the surrounding cities, including MLS MVP taylor twellman). instead they will just throw a team at the largest available market. It worked in some places, it didnt work in others.

By the way gamingboy, the Rochester Raging Rhinos are a minor league USL (United Soccer Leagues) team, which actually makes their success even more impressive.

I think the alignments that have a 2nd team in Ohio - be it in Cleveland or in Cincinnati - are utterly ridiculous, as are the ones with 2 teams in Missouri. Ohio needs a 2nd MLS soccer team the way Hawai'i needs the NHL. The other ones are fairly obvious. I could see Houston.

What about Vancouver (BC, not Washington)? It's a large, worldly, international city. And I'd wonder about a city in the southeastern US, like Atlanta, Charlotte or Raleigh. It's where the population is headed, and there are large immigrant populations in those areas from soccer-friendly nations as well as fairly strong youth soccer and collegiate soccer programs. Not sure if they're willing to go back to Florida, which is a shame.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

My ideas for a name for Toronto's MLS team assuming it needs a European flavor;

Golden Horseshoe T.O.

Queen City Rovers

Big Smoke Foxtrots

Maple Leaf GTA

and my personal fave-

Toronto-Ham Hotspur

Otherwise a more North American taste;

Toronto Towers

Toronto Battalion

Toronto Huskies

Toronto Blizzard

Toronto Great Lakers

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Perhaps, but I figure if the MLS already had a bunch of teams with wannabe Europe clubs monikers...

DC United/ Machester United

Real Salt Lake/ Real Madrid

Revolution/ Arsenal

FC Dallas/ AC Millan

that one more...

Toronto-Ham Hotspur/ Tottenham Hotspur

couldn't hurt. :D Okay, it's a bad pun- kill me already.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I think what the MLS should do is go into a region that has a large hispanic outreach, these cities I think should get a team in the MLS, Phoenix, San Antonio, and Houston. These cities are very large hispanic roots and tradition in soccer or Futbol as they like to say it.

I think the alignments that have a 2nd team in Ohio - be it in Cleveland or in Cincinnati - are utterly ridiculous, as are the ones with 2 teams in Missouri. Ohio needs a 2nd MLS soccer team the way Hawai'i needs the NHL. The other ones are fairly obvious. I could see Houston.

What about Vancouver (BC, not Washington)? It's a large, worldly, international city. And I'd wonder about a city in the southeastern US, like Atlanta, Charlotte or Raleigh. It's where the population is headed, and there are large immigrant populations in those areas from soccer-friendly nations as well as fairly strong youth soccer and collegiate soccer programs. Not sure if they're willing to go back to Florida, which is a shame.

THe way I see it, you're right about Ohio getting another MLS team; and if they do, it will possibly be in Cleveland. I also agree with you about Houston, Vancouver, BC, Atlanta, and the two North Carolina cities (Charlotte & Raleigh-Durham). But what about Milwaukee and Philadelphia? Both cities are also good options for an MLS expansion team. Besides, they, like Houston, have proposed stadiums for potential expansion franchises. As for Florida, well, there's probably no chance that the MLS will return to Florida.

YOZXkBG.png?1

I think what the MLS should do is go into a region that has a large hispanic outreach, these cities I think should get a team in the MLS, Phoenix, San Antonio, and Houston. These cities are very large hispanic roots and tradition in soccer or Futbol as they like to say it.

There is a GIANT European and hispanic population here in Toronto, so as long as the soccer is good, people will come to it.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Archived