Making A Number For Themselves

bhambruiser

As an aside, John Hadl was an All-Big 8 punter and halfback in 1959 as a sophomore, then converted to QB in 1960, only to stay all conference. Pretty impressive stuff...I had no real point, just saying that KU has had some pretty decent football players

Didn't they also have some guy named Sayers? He had a girl's first name, IIRC. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As an aside, John Hadl was an All-Big 8 punter and halfback in 1959 as a sophomore, then converted to QB in 1960, only to stay all conference. Pretty impressive stuff...I had no real point, just saying that KU has had some pretty decent football players

Didn't they also have some guy named Sayers? He had a girl's first name, IIRC. :P

Oh yeah, I forgot about that guy :hockeysmiley: ...Don't forget Riggo

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

I don't mind the recent NFL # rule changes, with the exception that I thought it was cool when, once in awhile, you'd see a team like the Cardinals with so many WRs with numbers in the teens because they had so many wideouts on IR. Whenever you'd see a team with a couple of WRs with numbers in the teens, you knew the team was pretty banged up at receiver.

With that being said, I hate #11 as a receiver number...it's way too much of QB number, IMO. One thing I definitely wouldn't mind seeing is DBs with single digit numbers, I know they allow it in college, and I've always thought that was cool.

I think with hockey, I remember that goalies either used to have a either #1 or a number in the 30s...obviously that has changed with goalies who wear numbers in the 20s and 40s. Is there a rule that #1 can only be worn by a goalie?

I think with hockey, I remember that goalies either used to have a either #1 or a number in the 30s...obviously that has changed with goalies who wear numbers in the 20s and 40s. Is there a rule that #1 can only be worn by a goalie?

IIRC, the NHL doesn't have any rules about this. I'm pretty sure Paul Kariya wore #1 at an All-Star Game a few years ago.

I'm of the opinion that #1, #30, #31 and #35 should be defined as "goalie numbers." Goalies can wear whatever number they want, but only goalies can wear those four. They just look weird on everyone else.

But my question to anyone who knows about number rules. How can the NBA allow Dennis Rodman to use 91? Doesn't the numbers in basketball have to be a digit of 5. Just for you newbies, the ref needs to commicate to the scorers' table so he only has 5 fingers.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I remember hearing once that players in the NBA can wear any number up to 55. If a player wants a higher number, he needs to get permission from the league to wear it.

If I were a coach I would ban the use of #1 because I wouldn't want any of my players thinking they were better than anyone else.

At least one coach (football power De La Salle HS in CA, maybe?) won't let his players wear single-digit numbers. He wants to make sure even the jersey numbers have to work together on his team.

I recall the tradition of most goalies wearing 1 went back to when teams traveled by train and they gave the goalie a real good bunk, or something to that effect.

If I were an NHL goalie I'd wear 3 or 7 just to see how folks would react :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

#11 has always been my favorite number in sports and stuff.

I have always wondered about that scene in The Natural when Hobbs was getting issued his Knights jersey. It went something like this...

Roy: How about number 11?

Equiptment Mgr: That's a bad luck number...don't go into that. How about number 9?

Roy: OK.

Equiptment Mgr: Try this on, see if there is enough room under the arms.

That is the only time that I ever heard that no. 11 was bad luck.

Anybody ever heard why it is unlucky, or was that just moviespeak?

My dad wore #11 when he played minor league baseball in the '50s and during his cups of coffee with the Phillies and Tigers in the '60s, he wore number is the 40s and 50s.

How is there NOT a guy named Moe Money?! :D

And where, for that matter, is the other half of the defensive pairing, Moe Problems?

bigemo_harabe_net-163.gif

If I played on the team, I think I'd be named Moe Mentum.

Moe Money became Moe Diggity.

His linemate Moe Problem became Moe Shun.

There's no Moe Mentum... though he's mentioned in the postgame writeups quite frequently.

Thanks for the plug KJ.

- Mikeymoe

www.16guysnamedmoe.com

Looks like someone's been watching his referrer log! :D

I do what I can. On the ice, it's not much, but off the ice... that's where I shine! ^_^

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

IIRC, the NHL doesn't have any rules about this. I'm pretty sure Paul Kariya wore #1 at an All-Star Game a few years ago.

I'm of the opinion that #1, #30, #31 and #35 should be defined as "goalie numbers." Goalies can wear whatever number they want, but only goalies can wear those four. They just look weird on everyone else.

You're right about those numbers looking strange on non-goalies.

From all my years watching Ron Hextall, I started to associate 27 with goalies, and when I see Flyers players wearing it, it looks odd to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived