White Sox Uniform Changes

bricknivy

White Sox had a lot of bandwagon jumpers in late September...

Are you saying the Cubs didn't in 03? Several of my friends who had always rooted for both teams but were primarily Sox fans suddenly became "lifelong" Cubs fans in the middle of September. I happens whenever there is a winner.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I notived the Sox had a green jersey in late August and was wondering if any Sox fans knew what the motivation was to wear that? I understand the St. Patrick's Day jerseys during Spring Training and was wondering if green was a sign of a change for the distant future?

The Sox wore the green jerseys for their anual "halfway to St. Patrick's Day" promotion. Incase anyone doesn't know, there is a large Irish community on the south side. The Sox requested to have a home game on Sept. 17 (six months to the day), but MLB stuck them on the road then. They ended up having the promotion on September 9.

I personally thought they looked great. They might get old seeing them everyday, but for once a year I think they are awesome. Those jerseys are flying off the shelves, as well as a new line of green Sox shirts, both player shirts and regular ones. Because of that, they will bring them back next year for the promotion, but they have no plan of changing the unis right now.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The W Sox have a nice clean look, but I recall the pinstripe uni's with red trim, and I think they had blue at one point.

Just no more wide collars and navy shorts.

The 1959 Sox had a fairly similar home uniform with red trim. I think that would be a good look for them.

I tried to post a picture but couldn't access the "Dressed to the Nines" database. If anyone else has better luck (or if I can do it later) that would be helpful.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

P.S. I thought I would be the only one on here at about 6:45 ET on a Sunday morning, but apparently I'm not alone. I don't feel so old now (or at least I won't until my son wakes up at any minute).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

The Sox don't need a change. Reasons why? Let's count:

1. They've finally achieved a degree of consistency with the look they use now. They've worn these for over a decade, which is an eternity for a team that's worn more different uniforms than any team in history.

2. They won a World Series. People will buy the stuff now to be frontrunners, and the fans who have actually supported the team through a lot of down years will not want to shell out more cash to "be current", especially now that the look is associated with a title.

3. Simple black and white with a little silver is elegant and understated. You don't need a rainbow of colors to look good. The Sox' uniforms are among my favorite in MLB - a timeless logo, sharp color scheme. I've had a cap since they came out with the new look, and I would not say I am a Sox fan. That's how much I like them.

4. As for adding colors to the cap: do you really want to add a metalic brim? Go back and research this. Look at the Astros' gold brims (Randy Johnson Era), and the Phillies godawful Turn Ahead The Clock abominations (silver brim). Metallic caps/brims look hideous on baseball uniforms. A silver brim for the Sox would be just as gaudy and unprofessional.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

You don't need a rainbow of colors to look good.

Nuggets do.

As for my opinions on this thread in a nutshell

1)Leave the Sox uniforms alone

2)The South Side sucks more than the North Side, don't try and use misleading stats

3)Established Sox fans are obnoxious mouth-breathers who care more about the Cubs failure than their own success, and there were too many bandwagoners this fall. If you're afraid of the South Side, you shouldn't be allowed to cheer for the Sox. Go

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is the best uniform the WHite Sox ever had and now they won with it they will not be changing any time soon, and they used to change every 5 years so its about time they settle on one.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

as a first-hand witness of the "Half-Way to St. Patrick's Day" horrendous green uniforms, I say to leave it alone. Although red accents may be cool to tie in w/ Reinsdorf's Bulls, but nothing major-- maybe just a red outline around the "SOX" on the uni, or on a BP uniform.

Also, Bridgeport is a fairly nice neighborhood, which can partially be attributed to Mayor Daley, who grew up there. It's the area on the south, West, and East over the Expressway that are the bad parts-- When the stadium was being built, they were getting bullet holes in chairs from the high-rise low-income housing projects across the Dan Ryan. Maybe just an Urban Legend.

Also, Bridgeport is a fairly nice neighborhood, which can partially be attributed to Mayor Daley, who grew up there.  It's the area on the south, West, and East over the Expressway that are the bad parts-- When the stadium was being built, they were getting bullet holes in chairs from the high-rise low-income housing projects across the Dan Ryan.  Maybe just an Urban Legend.

I dont know if it is an "urban legend" as much as it is a lie made up and passed on by certain people. There were, however, many women raped in Wrigleyville in the past two years, and even one man shot to death after a game. That is not an urban legend.

As for bad parts being on the south, east and west, that is wrong. The only so called "bad" part is to the south, where many blacks live. It is not a high crime area, but certain people designate it as "bad" because they are scared of the people's skin color.

There used to be high rises over a mile away from the park, across the Dan Ryan, but they were torn down several years ago. They are building mixed income houses there. The area west of the park is where much of the growth is going on. Paul Konerko lives a few block west of the park. A multi-millionaire wouldn't buy a house in a "bad" neighborhood.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I love the current White Sox look, particularly the home jerseys. Very classy. Until a few years ago, I had no idea that the logo was a retro one as well. They should have stuck with those all these years. You can add all the colours of the rainbow as an accent colour, it just won't look as well as black, white and sliver. Now if only the Brewers can keep their current look.... ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

US Cellular Field is not a retro stadium.  It is not Camden Yards, Coord Field, or PNC.

You'll find it interesting that Reinsdorf & Company choose the current stadium design (which should have never been named Comiskey!) over the original proposed retro design that ended up being built in another AL city... Baltimore's Camden Yards!

I saw the original (Camden) architectual drawings of what is now in Baltimore (minus the right field warehouse of course), only the drawing was titled "New Comiskey Park - Chicago IL).

Oh, by the way, leave the unis alone.

Also, no one asked, but the Astro fans in Minute Maid Park were great to the Sox fans there after game four. I did not run into one "sore loser"

Go Sox in '06!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Old Roman The South Side is all your bud, It Sucks. The rapist you spoke of lives at 65th on the South Side and took the red line up and did his crimes there. Shooting after Cubs game was from gangbangers from Humboldt Park area

Sox fans tackle umpires and tried to injure Craig Biggio's wife during Game 2, and that's just the violence inside the stadium. Once you get outside, unless you have red hair and freckles and have a name that starts with a Mc or an O' you take your life in your hands.

Paulee will be living 4 blocks from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Stadium in a few weeks after tthe cheap bastard Jerry declines to sign him.

Enjoy the ride

Gameplan | A Strategy for Achieving an Objective.

Old Roman The South Side is all your bud, It Sucks. The rapist you spoke of lives at 65th on the South Side and took the red line up and did his crimes there. Shooting after Cubs game was from gangbangers from Humboldt Park area

Sox fans tackle umpires and tried to injure Craig Biggio's wife during Game 2, and that's just the violence inside the stadium. Once you get outside, unless you have red hair and freckles and have a name that starts with a Mc or an O' you take your life in your hands.

Paulee will be living 4 blocks from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Stadium in a few weeks after tthe cheap bastard Jerry declines to sign him.

Enjoy the ride

Funny thing about that... the guy who tackled Laz Diaz, Eric Dybas, was a Cubs fan. He had been at the Urine Soaked Confines watching the Cubs lose in the afternoon, pounding 15 beers with the other "diehards", and he came to Sox Park for a night game.

If you want to talk about what happened to Biggio's wife, you might want to look some things up. Like a drunken Cub fans attacking Randy Myers on the mound. Or a drunken Cubs fan stealing the hat from a Dodgers BP catcher, and starting a fight. Or "loveable" Cubs fans throwing stuff onto the field after a supposed bad call. Or throwing a whiskey bottle at an opposing outfielder from the bleachers. Or urinating in the sinks. Or urinating on the lawns of the people's houses outside the park, while damaging property.

May 3, 1999

"Brian Bohanon got his fifth straight victory, pitching Colorado to a 6-1 victory over the Chicago Cubs, whose fans began throwing dangerous objects onto the field after a controversial call in the bottom of the eighth inning.

Bottles, a baseball, cups of beer, even coins came flying out of the stands, causing a five-minute delay.

"The fans can have a good time, but that's over the line," said Rockies second baseman Mike Lansing, who was involved in the play that sent the crowd into a rage. "Those things can hurt. I usually enjoy coming here, it's one of my favorite spots. In most cases, the fans here are good fans."

With Mark Grace on first, Sammy Sosa bounced to third, and replays showed that Lansing dropped third baseman Vinny Castillo's throw as Grace slid into the bag.

But umpire Jerry Crawford ruled that Lansing had possession before dropping the ball and called Grace out, bringing Cubs manager Jim Riggleman out of the dugout to argue and sending the crowd into a frenzy.

"They were throwing bottles. It's only a game," Rockies center fielder Darryl Hamilton said. "I don't know why people get so upset. Somebody threw a bottle of Jack Daniels. They also threw cups of beer, but I was more worried about the bottles."

Riggleman said the call "was not the issue of the game, not the turning point." The Cubs trailed by five runs at the time.

"We have a reputation of great fans and a lively ball park, but we can't have that, delays in the game. It's not right," Riggleman said. "When they start doing that, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. I apologize to Jim Leyland and the Rockies."

July 22, 1998

"Sosa hit a three-run homer, his 37th, with two outs in the eighth inning Wednesday night to give the Cubs their fourth straight win, 9-5 over the slumping Montreal Expos.

Some fans in the sellout crowd of 39,179 tossed cups and trash onto the field after Sosa's homer and again after Henry Rodriguez followed with his 24th homer.

"They must have been starving for baseball -- we've been gone 13 days," said Beck, the Cubs' closer. "It's nice to see them excited but there's a time and place for that and it's across the street in the bars."

Expos outfielder Derrick May was disturbed by the litter.

"I don't know what they're signifying by throwing garbage," he said. "Anytime objects come out on the field, it's annoying."

Five fans ran onto the field at different times during the game, each time briefly halting play.

"They were throwing everything -- they were even throwing themselves," Rodriguez said."

As for saying Konerko will leave, thats fine. There is no basis to that arguement, but it is fine. The White Sox are WORLD CHAMPIONS! That eats you up inside. You cant take it. You can say "oh, the Sox were a fluke, they will lose 100 next year", you can whine like a baby, but it wont change the fact that THE WHITE SOX ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS!

And once again, it is good to see you resort to hiding behind "numbers". "More people go to games, so we are better". Do you realize how pathetic it is that all arguements from 95% of Cubs "fans" stem around stuff outside of the field? Your team has been an embarrassment for nearly 100 years, so you resort to talking about "better attendance", "better ballpark" and "more celebrities at games" and "your neighborhood is more dangerous than my neighborhood". Your team is a joke. Live with it. If it eases your pain and helps your inferiority complex to say "we have more fans than you, so we are better", do it by all means. Just know that anyone with half a brain is laughing at you.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

These are the 1959 unis that I mentioned in my earlier post. The ones I prefer are only the home unis. The red is only included as an outline on the jersey and cap logos (and I would stay with the current cap logo, not the plain block (?) letter version used in this uni).

al_1959_chicago_01.gif

As for saying Konerko will leave, thats fine. There is no basis to that arguement, but it is fine. The White Sox are WORLD CHAMPIONS! That eats you up inside. You cant take it. You can say "oh, the Sox were a fluke, they will lose 100 next year", you can whine like a baby, but it wont change the fact that THE WHITE SOX ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS!

And once again, it is good to see you resort to hiding behind "numbers". "More people go to games, so we are better". Do you realize how pathetic it is that all arguements from 95% of Cubs "fans" stem around stuff outside of the field? Your team has been an embarrassment for nearly 100 years, so you resort to talking about "better attendance", "better ballpark" and "more celebrities at games" and "your neighborhood is more dangerous than my neighborhood". Your team is a joke. Live with it. If it eases your pain and helps your inferiority complex to say "we have more fans than you, so we are better", do it by all means. Just know that anyone with half a brain is laughing at you.

Hey look, a White Sox fan taunting a Cubs fan

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Leaving the non-uniform-related bickering to others:

The Sox have a terrific look, and it should stay as-is.

Well, ditch the sleeveless alt, that's unnecessary."

On second thought, a "World Series Champions" patch would be nice to see.

Getting back to a question in the original post, the Sox have plenty of color they can pull out of the past for more colorful merchandise. And, as TheOldRoman said, there's always the green merchandise. Plenty of color to go 'round. ;)

Archived