Chris Carpenter Wins Cy Young

pcgd

Congrats to Carpenter, he's had one hell of a comeback road and he is fully deserving of this award. Hopefully he'll keep it up for us in our new ballpark. This leaves one more thing........Pujols for MVP!!

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Glad to see it. I was actually surprised to see that he got 8 more 1st place votes than Dontrelle. I thought it would have been closer.

Now what I'm really trying to figure out is how one of my fantasy teams had Carpenter, Willis and Clemens and yet failed to even reach .500. Methinks I need to shop for hitting in the offseason.

Good on ya Chris, kudos... now STL can stop complaining about an anti-Cardinals bias.

complaining? anti st. louis bias? chris my friend what ever are you talking about? :P

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Good on ya Chris, kudos... now STL can stop complaining about an anti-Cardinals bias.

complaining? anti st. louis bias? chris my friend what ever are you talking about? :P

I don't think he ment the city (which does seem to have some kind of complex with the "anti-st. louis" talk...myself included) but he was more talking about STLFANATIC.

I don't think he ment the city (which does seem to have some kind of complex with the "anti-st. louis" talk...myself included) but he was more talking about STLFANATIC.

Probably. I don't know if I think there is an anti St. Louis bias, I just think there is an East Coast bias and that the Cardinals often get overlooked.

I'm glad to see this.

That said, La Russa was 100 pts behind Cox in MOY voting and was left off 14 ballots altogether...where's the appreciation there... :P I'm kidding...okay, I'm really not...Cox was deserving, La Russa was just underappreciated and it could have gone either way (not that I thought TLR had a chance)...but while I'm not kidding, I'm not actually real upset about it...just playing off of Chris' comments.

That said, La Russa was 100 pts behind Cox in MOY voting and was left off 14 ballots altogether...where's the appreciation there... :P I'm kidding...okay, I'm really not...Cox was deserving, La Russa was just underappreciated and it could have gone either way (not that I thought TLR had a chance)...but while I'm not kidding, I'm not actually real upset about it...just playing off of Chris' comments.

We need a head-exploding smiley for this.

I'm glad Carpenter got it. fluff Clemens.

Congrats to Carpenter. This Cy Young could have gone either way.

The STL gets no attention because they are in the middle of the country is garbage. They get 1,000,000,000 times the media attention the Marlins get and will ever get.

If we had made the playoffs things would've been different.

Just would like to throw this out....

Five of D-Train's losses:

5 IP, 1 ER

8 IP, 2 ER

6 IP, 3 ER

8 IP, 1 ER

6 IP, 2 ER

If you looked at Roger's game logs you would probably find something similar.

1997 | 2003

Dontrelle had some real bad games in September as the Marlins were reeling. That was teh difference had Willis pitched better and the Marlins not got in the tank he would have had a shot.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Dontrelle had some real bad games in September as the Marlins were reeling. That was teh difference had Willis pitched better and the Marlins not got in the tank he would have had a shot.

September starts:

W 8.1 IP 2 R 1 ER

W 6.0 IP 1 ER

W 9.0 IP 2 ER

L 8.0 3 R 2 ER (game the pen gave up 10 in the ninth)

W 8.0 1 ER

L 4.0 9 R 5 ER

You must be thinking of AJ Burnett.

1997 | 2003

Im thinking of taht oen where he allowed 9 runs, Carpenter didnt have a great September but for WIllis to win he needed his team to do better and teh way the season ended in FLorida hurt.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

September starts:

W 8.1 IP 2 R 1 ER

W 6.0 IP 1 ER

W 9.0 IP 2 ER

L 8.0 3 R 2 ER (game the pen gave up 10 in the ninth)

W 8.0 1 ER

L 4.0 9 R 5 ER

You must be thinking of AJ Burnett.

If you compare Carpenter to Willis to Clemens across the board You'll see they all beat each other in certain catagories. I do think any of them could have won and would have been fine canidates. But:

Games Started: Dontrelle 34, Carp 33, Clemens 32

Wins: Dontrelle 22; Carp 21, Clemens 13

Loses: Carp 5, Clemens 8, Dontrelle 10

ERA: Clemens 1.87, Dontrelle 2.63, Carp 2.83

Complete games; Dontrelle & Carp 7, Clemens 1

Shutouts; Dontrelle 5, Carp 4, Clemens 0

Innings: Carp 241, Dontrelle 231, Clemens 211

Walks: Carp 51, Dontrelle 55, Clemens 62

K's: Carp 213, Clemens 185, Willis 170

Winning percentage: Carp .808, Clemens .688, Dontrelle .619

Ground out/Fly Out Ratio: Carp 2.06, Clemens 1.43, Dontrelle 1.22

WHIP: Clemens 1.01, Carp 1.06, Dontrelle 1.13

AVG: Clemens .198, Carp .231, Dontrelle .243

Strikeout to walk: Carp 4.18, Willis 2.93, Clemens 2.76

Quality Starts: Carp 27, Clemens 26, Dontrelle 25

Quality Start Percentage: Carp 81.8%, Clemens 81.25%, Dontrelle 73.53%

Per Game:

K's: Carp 7.93, Clemens 7.88, Dontrelle 6.47

Walks: Carp 1.90, Dontrelle 2.09, Clemens 2.64

Hits: Clemens 6.43, Carp 7.60, Dontrelle 8.11

To me, there are only a few catagories where a pitcher really stands out amongst the rest, and then there are a few that they are less than the rest. Going by pure stats, Dontrelle lead these three in 2 stats. Wins and Shutouts. Everything else was Clemens or Carpenter. I think D-Train had a few "bad" stats, and Clemens had a few "Bad" stats. But Carpenter had only one stat that he was "last" in and that was ERA, which was 2.82, which is still really good.

Once again, even looking at these stats, it just proves that all three had really great years. But only one can win. And overall I think the right guy got the award.

I think Roger Clemens was penalized for something he had nothing to do with -- a lack of production by his offense. Clemens deserved it. Wins are the most overrated stat when judging how good a pitcher has been.

So you would say that Randy Johnson deserved it in 2004 over Clemens?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Clemens deserved it.

Interesting how only two of the voters agree with you.

Look, taking nothing away from Roger's skills, let's face it - if Carpenter or D-Train only had to pitch 6 innings a game, how many more contests would they have won? Clemens did a great job but his IP killed any realistic chance he had of even contending for the award.

Archived