Floor Hockey League Logos

Phil

Confused? This thread used to be known as "Penguins: A Logo Concept". The name has been changed to reflect the broadened scope of the project.

So, I'm coaching/mentoring/playing on a floor hockey team made up of Jr. High-aged inner city kids, and they decided they wanted to be called the Penguins.

So I sat down, and came up with the following...

Penguins%20Logo.gif

Penguins Logo Concept

The similarity in content to Iowa State was not planned, and only afterwards did I realize that such a similarity exists. The league logo at the bottom was also designed by me, and will be phased in over the course of the year.

Beyond that, any comments, suggestions, or questions?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really cool. I think this is a variation from what I have seen from you in the recent past, so double kudos. Its always nice to try something new. (im referring to a lot of negative space logos, and this obviously being a straight forward, flat-color mark.)

Yes there is a ISU comparison, but it still works. It may sound a bit cheesy, but if the tornado could somehow have a snow connotation, it may snap a bit more.

Also diggin the association logo. Looks like you are setting this league up proper.

Wait, so you're actually a junior high-aged inner city kid? :D

Very nicely done, but I agree with tajmccall about the snow idea, especially if you plan to leave it white. That's a mean looking penguin, looks like he's about to do some damage.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I love it!!! I can defiunately see the ISU connection.

The only thing I would change is the penguins body. You have the snow cyclone at the bottom and you made it look like it is spinning quite fast (which it should be) yet the Penguin doesn't really seem to be spinning or going fast at all. Now, if the Penguin is going so fast it is MAKING the cyclone behind him, I think you should look like he's doing something more active.

Really cool. I think this is a variation from what I have seen from you in the recent past, so double kudos. Its always nice to try something new. (im referring to a lot of negative space logos, and this obviously being a straight forward, flat-color mark.)

It may sound a bit cheesy, but if the tornado could somehow have a snow connotation, it may snap a bit more.

First off, thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Taj, I've noticed the same thing... I'm not consciously trying to work with different styles, but right now I've been working with the more solid, cartoony logos than the abstract, negative-space-type logos I've done a fair bit of work with.

As for the snow in the tornado idea, if there's a way to make it work, I certainly haven't found it yet. Icicles don't work, snowflakes require a lot of detail, and flying snow would introduce a level of complexity that I don't know the logo would handle well. Anyone have any ideas how I could do that?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

As for the snow in the tornado idea, if there's a way to make it work, I certainly haven't found it yet. Icicles don't work, snowflakes require a lot of detail, and flying snow would introduce a level of complexity that I don't know the logo would handle well. Anyone have any ideas how I could do that?

MAYBE the solution would be to have some small, oblong clumps (?) of snow and/or chunks of ice around the tornado, to look they flying out from the center (maybe with motion lines). That wouldn't require as great a level of detail. I don't know if it will work, but maybe it is worth a shot.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Oooh, I love it. Throw some shadows/highlights or something in the "tornado" and it'll be great. Very well done...that'll look unbelievable on a jersey. If I can make a suggestion for jerseys(If you plan on getting jerseys), the Tour Select series would look great IMO. They're good jerseys for as cheap as they are, and they have a white/black/yellow set.

hjp007b.jpg

So I tried the flying snow idea, and I couldn't make it work to my satisfaction. I did however use Steve-O's idea about the yellow strip down the side... it adds a little splash of colour that helps unite the logo into more of a single entity. Check that version out above.

Additionally, I rendered another idea I had. It's nothing too crazy or complex... actually, basic simplicity was kind of the idea for this one. Not much motion or action, but I like how it somewhat plays on the traditional spread eagle pose with a bird that couldn't be much more different from an eagle. Check it out.

Image has since been removed - sorry! See below for more logos.

The feet were the toughest part... in the end I went a very basic polygonal direction. Do you know how hard it is to find reference pictures of penguins' feet?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Do you know how hard it is to find reference pictures of penguins' feet?

That's why Pittsburgh uses skates! :D

I prefer this version--the feet are fine.

It's clearer and makes more sense.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I prefer the revised version of the original. I thought it was great to begin with, but that one minor change really improved it quite a bit.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 2 weeks later...

So the kids on my team unanimously chose the tornado logo... I'm not altogether that surprised.

Since then, I have taken it upon myself to provide the entire league with solid brands, as well as uniform (t-shirt) designs.

So far, this is the extent of the project. Don't blame me for the names... I work with what I'm given. Also, the wordmarks are not the focus of these projects, and are simply there to provide a graphical representation of the name rather than to really add anything to the concepts.

Since I can't post them all in one post (too many images? please...), I'll put one set in each post. So, going alphabetically, we start with...

Canadian Strongmen

Canadian%20Strongmen%20Logo.gifCanadian%20Strongmen%20T-Shirt.gif

Logo, T-Shirt

Obvious credit here goes to the Superman logo. I thought it works... we're not going to be selling any merchandise, and Superman works on both levels because he was a Canadian's creation and is known for being reasonably strong.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Perennial Pirhanas

Perennial%20Pirhanas%20Logo.gifPerennial%20Pirhanas%20T-Shirt.gif

Logo, T-Shirt

Don't ask me how "Perennial" fits in, other than to provide some alliteration. Maybe they're planning on being the Pirhanas every year...? I don't know. Anyway, you might notice I'm trying to really cut down on the number of colours used, in order to keep the production costs for the t-shirts down. That was pretty tough when trying to render a pirhana, but I think it turned out.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Sharpshooters

Sharpshooters%20Logo.gifSharpshooters%20T-Shirt.gif

Logo, T-Shirt

I was debating whether to make the two "S"s in the logo more obvious, but I think it works. Sharpshooters as a name is tough, because in a league designed to keep kids out of trouble and give them positive role models, you don't want to be glorifying a hitman in your logo. Crosshairs feels overplayed in logos, but my options were limited.

That's pretty much it for now... I don't know when I'll get the last two or three teams in the league done, as I have a term paper and an exam looming on the horizon... any C&C would be great.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived