Floor Hockey League Logos

Phil

I'd hafta say that I like your Penguins one the best. Although all of them are very successful. The piranha rendered fine. I'm not big on the colors of it though, but it looks decent otherwise. The Strongmen and Sharpshooters are both very well done as well. Great job on the entire league. Hope everything works out.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are all great logos/shirts for these teams, my favourite of the group is still the Penguins, but the Canadian Strongmen logo is cool with the Super man "S" inside the maple leaf.

BTW ,I Noticed a lot of German names on the backs of the jersey/shirts, are you german yourself, if you don't mind me asking.

BTW, Sy, it's "Perennial."

Thanks Kev... I can't believe I missed that. It's fixed now.

Shum... I don't normally use red and green as a colour combo, but it just so happens that they are common colours of the piranha. For whatever reason, I think of Mexico more than Christmas when I see that logo now.

Lee... Do we want to know what the significance of that logo is for you?

BCBoy... all three (Sawatzky, Hiebert, and Wiebe) are actually common Mennonite names... there's a fairly high concentration of 19th and 20th century Mennonite immigrants in Winnipeg and in the southern Manitoba area in general, much like you might find in Abbotsford of your own home province. Although the ethnic history is somewhat tied to the Amish (and Hutterites, for those who know what I'm talking about), there is very little resemblance between the modern Mennonite's lifestyle and that of the traditional Amish lifestyle.

As far as I know, Epper and I are the only two who rock the Mennonite heritage on this board, although there may well be more.

This concludes your Social Studies lesson for today, the test is next Tuesday.

Thanks for the compliments so far, they're much appreciated. Anyone else with thoughts on these.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

BTW, Sy, it's "Perennial."

Thanks Kev... I can't believe I missed that. It's fixed now.

Shum... I don't normally use red and green as a colour combo, but it just so happens that they are common colours of the piranha. For whatever reason, I think of Mexico more than Christmas when I see that logo now.

Lee... Do we want to know what the significance of that logo is for you?

BCBoy... all three (Sawatzky, Hiebert, and Wiebe) are actually common Mennonite names... there's a fairly high concentration of 19th and 20th century Mennonite immigrants in Winnipeg and in the southern Manitoba area in general, much like you might find in Abbotsford of your own home province. Although the ethnic history is somewhat tied to the Amish (and Hutterites, for those who know what I'm talking about), there is very little resemblance between the modern Mennonite's lifestyle and that of the traditional Amish lifestyle.

As far as I know, Epper and I are the only two who rock the Mennonite heritage on this board, although there may well be more.

This concludes your Social Studies lesson for today, the test is next Tuesday.

Thanks for the compliments so far, they're much appreciated. Anyone else with thoughts on these.

I'm mennonite too :P Just didn't want to say those were mennonite names, because, some people with those last names say they aren't mennonite, and didn't want to asume anything.

Phil, I think that this is a great opportunity for you to show how good your stuff is and to have it on real t-shirts. I applaud the way your doing things, mostly by helping kids first. Plus, it must feel really good to see your final product on jersey.

As for the designs themselves, they are all pretty solid. I think you did a great job with the names you had to work with (especially the sharp shooters).

All the logos have your distinctive style, yet they don't intersect each other. I mean that every one of them have a unique personality. I really like the Penguins and the Sharp Shooters. The colors on the Piranha are a bit too bright for my taste though. I understand those are basic colors for the piranha, but it can be good if you twist the reality to your advantage (sometimes).

Overall this is very solid work, I hope the kids know how lucky they are being outfitted with this gear. I'm pretty sure the rest of the league will look as good as what you've shown here to this point.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• 1 month later...

The last set needs to be refined. The outlines look to much like sketches. So theyre a good start. the best of the bunch is the blazers followed by the Kings....and then from there the snake and camel look like sketches....which are a good start.

• 1 year later...

Time to resurrect this!

Some new teams have joined the league. Unfortunately, I wasn't involved in naming them, which has resulted in some, well, sub-par nicknames... but the logos I did have creative control over.

Biting Badgers - I think the Sharks reference doesn't need to be cited, but I will anyway

Biting%20Badgers%20Logo.gif

Men in White - speaking of sub-par names

Men%20in%20White%20Logo.gif

New Hockey Order - the worst of the names

New%20Hockey%20Order%20Logo.gif

NK Strikers - wanted a raptor-like dinosaur

Strikers%20Logo.gif

Thoughts? Comments? Critiques?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think there are four or five artists here that I think of when I consider the cream (no pun intended) of the crop here - and you are in that category. It is a treat to get such a series of logos from you to enjoy. As far as the Penguins logo and a winter theme, I could imagine rendering the outline of small drifts on either side of the path it is traveling. Either that or an ice-crack in its wake.

Oh yeah, I can't resist - there is only one true ISU, and it is in Normal, Illinois. Iowa State was founded in 1858, but...Illinois State was founded in 1857! Sorry, I couldn't pass up the chance; I so rarely get an opportunity to tout the Redbirds :P

LT

You guys use a ball in floor hockey? Not bad logos for floor hockey, especially with the names you had to work with. Around here, most of the teams are sponsored by some local place, and wear that logo on the front. The teams that weren't sponsored normally had pretty ugly logos. Does the tape on the badgers one not go all the way around, like the sharks?

MegatronSig2.jpg

Wow! These are really great! I'm not sure if people realize how hard it is to pull something like this off, especially when you are given such horrible nicknames to begin with. And when you add in the fact that these logos are for a youth league, not professional teams, it raises the challenge because these logos need to be kid-friendly. You went above and beyond the bar.

Phil, I have been a fan of your work for a long time. In fact, you actually helped me get into designing my own logos a few years back. I e-mailed you a few of my very first concepts and you explained to me what I needed to do in order to get better. I've come a long way since then and I owe some of that to you.....

Keep up the great work!

GFB

Guest darkpiranha

Great job all the way around. Do the teams/players/coaches/parents even realize the high level of quality they are getting with these logos? :) I hope they all come to their senses and get these logos on some gear!

About a decade ago I designed the logos for all four teams and the league logo of a kids roller hockey league, and it was the biggest thrill I've ever had (design-wise) seeing all my logos flying around the rink.

I look forward to more of your work.

Lamicus- are you going for "The Canadian Stronman" Dino Bravo?

The SharpShooters logo is frickin' gold. I love it.

For the "lamely named" New Hockey Order, maybe you could do something more playing off of the nWo (Wrestling's "New World Order" which I'm sure is what the team had in mind when they named themselves).

Archived