World Baseball Classic T-Shirt

BallWonk

Just saw this on MLB.com. Does anyone know whether this is the event's actual logo, or just something they threw on a t-shirt? It looks to me like it's in the style of 1990s Olympics/World Cup imagery.

pMLB2-2374817dt.jpg

"Hier wordt honkbal gesproken" is my favorite. Dutch is just such a wacky language. It's like German, but fun!

Also, does anyone know whether the participating countries will wear traditional national-team uniforms or something new for the tournament? (I only ask because I'm a big fan of the U.S. national team's uniforms and caps.)

20082614447.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the press conference they quickly showed pictures of the Unis. They will be designed by MLB, in conjunction with the various country's baseball associations AND Majestic.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

During the press conference they quickly showed pictures of the Unis. They will be designed by MLB, in conjunction with the various country's baseball associations AND Majestic.

Were they the real jerseys, or those temporary mock-ups they had shown last summer?

It looks like the USA will be wearing the stuff they already do, or something very similar. Eastbay already sells it (Russell makes it now):

Eastbay Olympic Baseball

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

NOTE-- Now that Barry Bonds has agreed to participate, the US caps will be available in Size 11 3/4, as needed to accomodate him abnormally large cranium. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Damn, that's some generic looking :censored:! Have some friggin' national pride, you can't represent looking like that! :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I have seen the jerseys ( I work for MLB.com's shop) They are are sweet.

For some proof that I am not making this up, they are only producing HOME replicas to start, then HOME authentics, and also team color BP jerseys from Majestic Athletic. No road jerseys will be produced ( bad idea) I have had a tight relationship with Majestic Athletic for 5 years and its only an hour drive from me.

I can field any questions anyone has about this program. I should have the jerseys live with in a week and they will be ready to ship in FEB. It will be pre-orders to start.

I read this forum everyday so now I think I will start posting. I have great insight to the licensed world.

I assume Japan is still dealing with regional, um, "sensitivity" to the use of its rising-sun flag as an official emblem, and therefore opting for the ridiculous "Japan" script on the cap. (Why is it ridiculous? First, because that's not the country's name. Second, because it's written with the Latin alphabet.)

But what is up with the Netherlands NL caps? Yeah, that's the country code and all, but that just makes it the equivalent of the Marlins wearing FL caps or the Twins wearing MN caps. Wrong, wrong, wrong. And black? Black?! The Netherland has a long baseball tradition, unbeknownst to most Americans, during which time the national uniform has generally been navy and orange. With a blue cap that has an orange N on it. (Except in the 2004 Olympics, when they switched to block orange "Nederland" on the caps.)

A script C for China? For heaven's sake, it's a country with like 1.2 billion people who all use a different alphabet from us. Put the four-star logo on the cap, or put a Chinese character on it. Same goes for Taiwan. It's not like non-Chinese-speaking audiences are going to be confused about who the team in red and yellow with the Asian-looking letters is.

I'll hold out hope, though, that the jerseys will feature country names in the local language. "Nederland." "Italia." "Mexico." And so on.

All in all, these caps really seem to suggest that the non-North American national teams are being told, not asked, what to wear.

On the good side, it is nice to see a red version of the USA cap, though it's poorly executed. And the red alt with red letters is just needless clutter. "Hey! Let's make an alt cap, but not think through the colors very well! Then let's make an alt version of the alt cap that's really hard to read!" Ugh.

20082614447.png

Archived