NFL Numbers

timparry

Hey all, hoping someone can explain this one for me.

The Giants have two linebackers wearing numbers in the 40s - Kevin Lewis is 44, Marcus Lawrence is 46. Last I knew, LBs could only wear numbers in the 50s and 90s.

However, the Giants have so many LBs on injured reserve that all the numbers in the 50s and 90s are taken.

So my question is: has the NFL designated numbers in the 40s as "emergency" numbers, so to speak?

Thanks to anyone who can explain this mystery

I do believe number assignment goes as follows:

1-19: Quarterbacks, Kickers, Punters

11-19, 80-89: Wide Receivers, Tight Ends

20-49: Running Backs, Defensive Backs

50-79: Offensive Lineman

50-79, 90-99: Linebackers

60-79, 90-99: Defensive Lineman

Now in some circmstances the following is allowed:

40-49: Tight Ends

40-49: Linebackers

80-89: Fullbacks

I dont think number assignemt began until the 1960s

I do believe that when he says "40's" he means there are two linebackers on the Giants roster that wear a number in the 40's, not that it was in the 1940's.

Yes, current players and the upgraded number assignments.

I know in the 80s, 40s were outlawed as a LB number. Brian Bosworth wanted 44 with the Seahawks and was denied, and the Seahawks considered listing him on the roster as a strong safety so he could get it.

I do believe that when he says "40's" he means there are two linebackers on the Giants roster that wear a number in the 40's, not that it was in the 1940's.

Yes, current players and the upgraded number assignments.

I know in the 80s, 40s were outlawed as a LB number. Brian Bosworth wanted 44 with the Seahawks and was denied, and the Seahawks considered listing him on the roster as a strong safety so he could get it.

My understanding is that it's exactly what you said in that the Giants have the 50's filled up so then the linebackers are allowed to take a number in the 40's when that happens. Most of the time a player will go the route of choosing a number in the 60's, 70's or 90's. But as soon as there are no more numbers available in the 50's, they're allowed to wear one in the 40's if they choose to do so.

1973, to be exact. Though this chart on about.com about.com is outdated (doesn't include 40s for tight ends).

I know a bunch of TEs are in the 40s now, but are any othe NFL LBs wearing numbers in the 40s?

In some rare cases, teams have converted fringe-type fullbacks and tight ends to linebacker, and vice-versa. I've seen this with the Eagles, however in that case the player switched to an appropriate number. I think the number rule might be a little lax for linebackers because it is just less important for defensive players to have eligible / ineligeble numbers. More professional, but less necessary.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Vikings TE Jim Kleinsasser wears #40.

Former Raiders TE Todd Christensen wore #46 because he started his NFL career as a fullback and was moved to tight end.

Kleinsasser plays FB too. And dude, why do you have a Reebok vector in your sig? Why support companies like that any more than you need to? You're already a walking Reebok add any time you throw on a damn jersey...

Yeah, before, if you moved positions then you'd be given a new number.

I remember having cards of Ken Dilger playing fullback for the Colts and wearing #44, before he got moved to tight end.

Indy TE Dallas Clark wears 44.

clark-web.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Vikings TE Jim Kleinsasser wears #40.

Former Raiders TE Todd Christensen wore #46 because he started his NFL career as a fullback and was moved to tight end.

Kleinsasser plays FB too. And dude, why do you have a Reebok vector in your sig? Why support companies like that any more than you need to? You're already a walking Reebok add any time you throw on a damn jersey...

The sig was made that way by someone else.

Archived