Team Canada releases uniform numbers

officeglenn

Team Canada released the uniform numbers that will be worn in Turin. The interesting thing is that neither Joe Sakic nor Joe Thornton, who normally wear 19 in the NHL, will wear that number in Turin, as a tribute to Steve Yzerman (EDIT: got it right this time :D). Sakic will be the captain, though.

1 - Roberto Luongo

30 - Martin Brodeur

35 - Marty Turco

4 - Rob Blake

6 - Wade Redden

24 - Bryan McCabe (alternate)

27 - Scott Niedermayer

28 - Robyn Regehr

44 - Chris Pronger

52 - Adam Foote

55 - Ed Jovanovski

9 - Shane Doan

10 - Jason Spezza (alternate)

12 - Jarome Iginla

14 - Todd Bertuzzi (switched from 44)

15 - Dany Heatley

21 - Simon Gagne (switched from 12)

22 - Eric Staal (alternate)

26 - Martin St. Louis

33 - Kris Draper

39 - Brad Richards

40 - Vincent Lecavalier (switched from 4)

61 - Rick Nash

91 - Joe Sakic - C

94 - Ryan Smyth

97 - Joe Thornton

I think you meant "tribute to Steve Yzerman" cus it wouldn't make sense to pay tribute to Joe since he's on the team ;)

:huh:

:o

:blush:

Sorry, my bad. I'll fix that.

I wish that Team Canada would institute a policy where number above 40 would be outlawed or limited (exceptions could be made for the legends, like Gretzky or Lemieux, or those who have earned the honour). Some of the high numbers seem uncharacteristic for a national team.

I don't like the fact that Lecavalier is wearing 40. It is a weird, non traditional hockey number. Seeing Thornton wear 97 and Sakic wear 91 is weird too, even though they've worn it in the past.

It's just a small complaint, but something that really kind of bugs me. Same goes for the high numbers on the Montreal Canadiens. :rolleyes:

Juventus.png

I agree about keeping the numbers low. It just seems classy to have the highest number a 30 or 35. If I were a player i'd have a national team # and a club team # that i always wore.

meh, but 40 is kind of stupid. bertuzzi with 14 will take a while to get used to. i would like to see him in a more obscure # like 3 or 6.

:flagcanada:

gagner3.png

As a fan, I'd liek to see them all wear the lowest numbers possible. i.e. 1 - 26

But as a player, I was superstitious about my number, so i'd want to be allowed to pick what i wanted. Good to know that if i get added to the Canadian team late, I can still have my number 5!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ย 

ฮ“ฮ”ฮ’!

ย 

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The interesting thing is that neither Joe Sakic nor Joe Thornton, who normally wear 19 in the NHL, will wear that number in Turin.

You can add Shane Doan to that list -- he wears number 19 for the Phoenix Coyotes.

So does Richards in Tampa Bay. And Spezza in Ottawa.

But the fact is that all the players returning to this team have experience of representing Canada. All the numbers you see there are the ones they have used (well, except for Bertuzzi, and probably Lecavalier).

Sakic has always worn 91 for Canada, Doan has the 9, Gagnรฉ with 21, Thornton even had his 97 in the world championships last may, even though he could have had 19. And the list goes on...

They are probably superstitious about a number, but when it comes to representing your country, the number shouldn't matter.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montrรฉal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

It's just a small complaint, but something that really kind of bugs me. Same goes for the high numbers on the Montreal Canadiens. :rolleyes:

Don't forget, Montreal has alot of retired numbers, and some that are 'unofficially' retired'

Retired Numbers

1 Jacques Plante, G, 1952-63

2 Doug Harvey, D, 1947-61

4 Jean Bรฉliveau, C, 1950-71 (Number was also worn by Aurel Joliat, LW, 1922-38)

5 Bernie "Boom-Boom" Geoffrion, RW, 1950-64 (to be retired on March 11, 2006)ร—

7 Howie Morenz, C, 1923-34 & 1936-37

9 Maurice Richard, RW, 1942-60

10 Guy Lafleur, RW, 1971-85

12 Dickie Moore, LW, 1951-63; and Yvan Cournoyer, RW, 1963-79

16 Henri Richard, C, 1955-75 (Number was also worn by Elmer Lach, C, 1940-54)

The following numbers have not been retired, but have gone some time since being worn:

6 Toe Blake, LW, 1935-48; Head Coach, 1955-68; last worn by Trent McCleary in 2000.

18 Serge Savard, D, 1967-81; General Manager, 1983-95; last worn by Valeri Bure in 1998.

19 Larry Robinson, D, 1972-89; has not been worn since he left.

23 Bob Gainey, LW, 1973-89; last worn by Francis Belanger in 2001.

29 Ken Dryden, G, 1971-79; last worn by Gino Odjick in 2002.

33 Patrick Roy, G, 1985-95; only Canadiens player ever to wear the number. (Richard Sevigny also wore number 33 in the early 80's.)

pretty much all of the low numbers below 20 have been used by someone significant, and the team wants to honour them, so there is no alternative but to wear higher numbers

Archived