New York Knicks alt. logo concept

Dave Ship

Hello...

here is my first ever attempt in a logo concept. A quick description:

- i don't know what exactly a knickerbockers is, so i just left my mind fly and then i came up with this;

- the "draft style" is part of the concept.

Diedrich Knickerbocker, narrator of Washington Irving's History of New York.

Generally it is used as a term for a colonial New Yorker.

As for you concept it is better suited for an ad campaign in my opinion.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I'm just confused.

It looks like a cross between a shoe, a horse, and a coloring book.

That said, I like the coloring-book-ish style of the buildings and the text... but that's about it. It doesn't fly as a sports logo as others have said - at all.

To me, this looks like a logo for an organization/program/event in the community. Like an afterschool program sponsored by the Knicks, this logo - minus the weird shoe/horse thing - would be a nice start.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Ok guys...thanks for the feedbacks. I decided to start a brand new logo and this is the result. But first i would introduce a quick description about it:

- The building is the Chrysler one. One of the most representative monument of the city;

- The blue shape could be intended as the Statue of Liberty's torch.

knicks62dr.gif

Ok guys...thanks for the feedbacks. I decided to start a brand new logo and this is the result. But first i would introduce a qucik description about it:

- The building is the Chrysler one. One of the most representative monument of the city;

- The blue shape could be intended as the Statue of Liberty's torch.

knicks62dr.gif

The first one I wasn't too crazy about, but this one's really cool. i could definitely see that logo used on the Knicks' shorts or something like that. Nice job!

a knickerbocker is a term for colonial new yorkers because of the knicker pants they wore. the dutch settlers were called it. father knickerbocker (the knicks original logo) was actually sort of a mascot of the city for a long time before the team used a version of him dribbling a basketball as the teams logo.

the logos are cool but it doenst say knicks to me.. i agree its more like the logo for a shoe of a streetball competition or something.

also the crystler building (which is my favorite building) really doesnt say knicks cuz its not really close to the garden.

the empire state building would be better cuz its only 3 blocks away

still cool logos

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

On the new logo:

Much nicer. But here again, the cartoonish style works against it being a pro-sports logo (at least one that the team could potentially use). If you made the lines on the Chrysler building more defined, it would look much better IMO. The torch needs something else to make it more clear... otherwise it just looks like a randomly inserted shape. Maybe a stylized flame at the top or something to make it clearer.

Certainly getting there though.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Much nicer. But here again, the cartoonish style works against it being a pro-sports logo (at least one that the team could potentially use).

I'm not totally against the "cartoonish" look only because New York is the home of so many super-hero comic characters. I'm sure it would look better if it were a little more defined, but to me at least, the comic-y feel is kinda cool.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The torch needs something else to make it more clear... otherwise it just looks like a randomly inserted shape. Maybe a stylized flame at the top or something to make it clearer.

Certainly getting there though.

A flame on top of a sky scraper might not be the best image for a team...9-11...I do like were you are going with this one though. Perhaps more of a skyline with a Knicks word mark or the vertical portions of Knicks being represented with buildings from the skyline.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Beatnik...

Great design, and an interesting take for a logo. (As usual.)

However, there's so much intricate detail in the logo - especially the building - that it would be a nightmare to reproduce on merchandise. Can you imagine trying to make an embroidered patch or a cap with that logo?

I don't want to alter the style you used, because it is a great design. But maybe if you could simplify the building just a little, you would really have something that's sharp AND practical. This is too good of an idea to dismiss; the torch, the building, the colors all work. I'd just suggest scaling back on the detail of the Empire State Building, and you'll have a surefire winner.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived