Steeler home WHITE?

cableguy

I was watching ESPN Classic sports this morning and they had a vintage episode of "This Week in the NFL"..it was week 12 of the 1969 season. The Dallas Cowboys were playing AT Pittsburgh and the Steelers were wearing their WHITE road uniforms! Was this a common practice for them that year or did they go out of their way for the Cowboys? I was really suprised to see the BOYS in their blue jerseys.

The Steelers wore white at home for a good part of the 1960s, so it wasn't a Cowboys-centric event. For instance, Pittsburgh wore white in the home opener against Detroit in '69, Chuck Noll's first game as Steelers head coach (as seen on Complete History of Steelers DVD).

Speaking of old NFL films, I quickly saw the beginning of one of their shows about the 1987 AFC championship between the Cleveland Browns and Denver Broncos in Cleveland. However, the Browns wore white while Denver wore orange. Whats up with that? Was Cleveland ever like Dallas and Washington in wearing only white?

Timmyb will probably chime in here soon on this, but here's what I have learned from him:

All NFL teams had to wear dark jersey from 1967-63, and changed the rule for '64. Most NFL teams experimented with white jerseys at home, and from what I understand the Steelers wore white at home for every game from 67-69. I have a magazine that shows them wearing white against the 49ers and Packers in '69, both games at Pittsburgh.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

On the NFL Films box set with three episodes of Lost Treasures, they talk about their first player wiring, and it was the Steelers MLB (sorry, forgot his name) and they were wearing the white diamond jersey at home...I want to say it was either 64 or 65

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Just a guess, but the Steelers probably wore white to force the Cowboys to wear blue.

correct!

plus this year Coach Cower mentioned they wore white since they we not in Heinz Field, so road whites.

plus they had "winning luck" with the whites, so why change midstream.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Cleveland generally wore white for their playoff games as well throughout the 80's and 90's

The Browns did wear white for the playoff games between '85-88, but wore brown at home vs. the Bills in the '89 playoffs (a year where they started wearing brown around midseason). They only played in one playoff game at home in the '90s and they wore brown vs. the Pats in the '94 wild-card round.

QUOTE (Broken Record @ Tuesday, February 7th, 2006 - 12:47:29)

Just a guess, but the Steelers probably wore white to force the Cowboys to wear blue.

correct!

plus this year Coach Cower mentioned they wore white since they we not in Heinz Field, so road whites.

plus they had "winning luck" with the whites, so why change midstream.

The Steelers wearing white at home in 69 vs. Cowboys wasn't done just to make Dallas wear blue. As a few people previously mentioned in this thread (some of us more than once), the Steelers wore white at home for a good part of the '60s, so that would include some non-Dallas games, too.

Timmyb will probably chime in here soon on this, but here's what I have learned from him:

All NFL teams had to wear dark jersey from 1967-63, and changed the rule for '64. Most NFL teams experimented with white jerseys at home, and from what I understand the Steelers wore white at home for every game from 67-69. I have a magazine that shows them wearing white against the 49ers and Packers in '69, both games at Pittsburgh.

blue falc,

a little clarification if i may., and pardon the tangent.

thru 1956, nfl teams could wear whatever color jersey they wanted against each other as long as they weren't the EXACT same color.

from 1941 thru 1955, many of those years, the packers and bears wore navy blue jerseys against each other. however, in the 40's, it's said that the bears jerseys more resembled black than navy. but in the 50's (55 & 56 in particular) both the packers and bears certainly wore navy when playing each other. perhaps because the packers had yellow helmets and mostly yellow trim while the bears had navy blue helmets and orange trim, i guess this was allowed by the nfl as not a major color clash. also in this era, many times the redskins wore their burgundy jerseys against the red clad chicago cardinals.

with the explosion of the nfl on tv, and with black & white tv seen in 99% of homes with tv, it was very tough to tell some teams apart when playing each other, in 1957 the nfl decreed that teams must wear white jerseys on the road and dark jerseys at home, without exception. not for the fans in stands, but for the fans at home. the rams tried to continue to wear their yellow jerseys as a road jersey, but even this was a no-no to the nfl, so about half way thru 1957, the rams conformed and changed the yellows to white. this continued thru 1963. the ONLY exception i have found to the above is the thanksgiving day game in 1961 between the lions and packers at tiger stadium and the lions are wearing white at home, the packers wearing green.

in 1964, the nfl changed to allow the home team to make the choice to wear dark or white at home. segueing to the steelers, the steelers continued to wear black at home (which by now was full time at pitt stadium), except for an early season tilt with the rams. and in 1965, the steelers wore black for all home games, as far as i can tell.

in 1966, the steelers introduced the yellow shouldered jerseys for both black and white editions. the steelers wore white at home for at least 5 or 6 home games in 66 & 67 with the yellow shoulders. i seem to think they did wear black for a game or two each season, but i could be wrong. in 1968, the steelers began wearing the style they - 1997's revisions excluded - still pretty much wear today. however, the continued to wear white for almost all home games in 68 & 69. again, it's possible they wore white at home for all games in 68 & 69, but i do think there was a game or two exception.

when the steelers moved to three rivers in 1970 and ever since - including the move to heinz field in 2001, they have ALWAYS worn black. including the "home" team in super bowls x, xiv and xxx. that's why wearing wearing white for super bowl xl is so significant. it was the first time that the steelers wore white at home for any occasion, since 1969.

hope this is of some help, blue falc.

tb

the steelers

How interesting! I never knew that about the Steelers, thanks for the replies. I guess Im just so used to them wearing the intimidating black at home....of course Im also having trouble getting used to the NHL teams wearing their dark sweaters at home because Im so used to them wearing white at home.

I was watching ESPN Classic sports this morning and they had a vintage episode of "This Week in the NFL"..it was week 12 of the 1969 season. The Dallas Cowboys were playing AT Pittsburgh and the Steelers were wearing their WHITE road uniforms! Was this a common practice for them that year or did they go out of their way for the Cowboys? I was really suprised to see the BOYS in their blue jerseys.

Man, I LOVE that show! Takes me back to being a kid since it was the weekly equivalent of NFL PrimeTime, i.e. the only way to see all the highlights. My Saints...Archie Manning running for his life, Danny Abramowicz, Obert Logan, Tom Dempsey...gotta love it!

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

On the NFL Films box set with three episodes of Lost Treasures, they talk about their first player wiring, and it was the Steelers MLB (sorry, forgot his name) and they were wearing the white diamond jersey at home...I want to say it was either 64 or 65

Yeah, it was the guy who said, "Yeah, kid, we aren't allowed." Many people thought he was declining an autograph, but he refused to give the kid his mouthpiece.

The guy still runs a bar in the midwest and he gets called on it all the time.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived