Coyotes' Tocchet implicated in sports gambling rin

jkrdevil

Yeah I just read that. Now Rick Tocchet is going to look like the Pete Rose of hockey. Sad.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Yeah I just read that.  Now Rick Tocchet is going to look like the Pete Rose of hockey.  Sad.

I dont know about that. Tocchet has always been one of the most respected people in the NHL not only during his playing days but also during his time as assistant coach here in PHX. Although its unfortunate and it will tarnish his name, there were no hockey games in which he bet on, unlike Pete Rose in baseball. Still a crappy situation though. It has been all over the news here in Arizona.

It is definently not a great time to be a Coyotes fan. With pretty much our best player in Nagy out for the year we already were in some deep trouble, but if the other players on the Coyotes who were involved in the gambling ring are charged we are certainly done. Oh well, there is always next year. :cry:

PopHeading-1.gif

Proof that the statement "there is no such thing as bad publicity" is BS.

The NHL does not need this...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Proof that the statement "there is no such thing as bad publicity" is BS.

The NHL does not need this...

No the NHL does not need this.

Rick Tocchet is a former Flyer and all of this happened in South Jersey, while it probably may all the teams especially the Atlantic Division teams since there are all so close to this the Flyers might be effected the most. Considering what came out last year about Roenick I wouldn't be surprised of he is some how invovled. Although all of this is pure speculation on my part.

This from TSN is very interesting.

Lieutenant Colonel Frank Rodgers, 43, the deputy superintendent of investigations with the New Jersey State Police in Hamilton., N.J., has confirmed to TSN that "12 NHL players or people closely associated with NHL clubs?, including one team owner and one member of a coaching staff,  have been placing bets with the illegal bookmaking operation that has been the focus of an eight-month undercover operation, dubbed "Operation Slapshot."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=153963&hubname=

An owner involved this is bad. Also they said that they do not know for sure that they didn't bet on hockey. This is bad news Bettmen needs to act quickly and put the hammer down.

ESPN.com is also reporting Gretzky's wife is involved.

"(A.P.) EWING, N.J. - Wayne Gretzky's wife and about a dozen NHL players placed bets ? but claim not on hockey ? with a nationwide sports gambling ring financed by Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach Rick Tocchet, authorities said Tuesday.

Actress-wife Janet Jones was among those implicated, two law enforcement officials told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because no bettors have been publicly identified...."

Gretzky's WIFE is implicated in this mess too? That seems a little too close to home for the Great One. I should think a lot of people are going to at the very least suspect that Wayne Gretzky himself must have at least been aware of things going on if his wife is somehow involved. I mean if Tocchet- his friend and co-worker is involved, other NHL players are involved, and his own wife is involved, is it really that hard to think he too might have been at the very least aware of this too. I know he really was one of hockey's gratest players and it seems like a nice guy- but even he isn't Jesus on the cross.

I can only hope that A) he really isn't involved in any of this, and B) nobody that was involved bet on hockey games. Nevermind the NHL not needing this- we fans really don't need this crap after everything we had to go through with the strike/lockout. :cursing:

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Gretzky could be in real trouble here, if his wife is involved an assistnat coach is involved and players involved it will be hard to believe hes not involved this could be real bad for the NHL, it woudl be best to try and clean this up real fast.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

You say clean it up real fast but these things tend to draw out for awhile because they're so complicated. It'll be tough to mop this one up in a week or two.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

You say clean it up real fast but these things tend to draw out for awhile because they're so complicated.  It'll be tough to mop this one up in a week or two.

If I'm the commissioner you suspend Tocchet indefinatly from coaching untill this all gets cleared up. He would still get paid as you can't suspend him without pay but you suspend him. It's the appearance of doing somehting that is important.

Scott Burside has a great article on this. This thing is bad for the NHL appaerntly this has ties to Organized Crime.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2322762

Yea I read about the possible link to an organized crime family also. That may turn out to be a very bad situation for the NHL. Just so you all know Tocchet spoke to the Arizona Republic today and said it had nothing to do with hockey and that he is not allowed to talk anymore about it right now. He was/is behind the bench tonight for the Coyotes games and Gretzy said earlier that everything, so far, is normal. I am sure once the league gets through with it penalties will be dealt however.

PopHeading-1.gif

Although this situation is still bad, I would like to say again that if there was no betting on NHL games it shouldn't be viewed as a backbreaker for the NHL. MANY people are unfortunantly involved in illegal gambling rings (I know some myself) and there is a BIG difference in betting on a game that you can actually affect. (IE Pete Rose)

PopHeading-1.gif

Slight correction: Tocchet was not behind the bench tonight. They only had two of the associate coaches (I forget their names).

This is really bad for the NHL, for the fans, and for hockey in general. I hope there really was no betting on hockey. And I really hope that Gretzky, one of the best embassadors hockey has, doesn't end up in serious trouble.

So do you think Gretzky's wife is the team owner they're talking of?

No she's the Hollywood actress that was said to be involved.

Speaking of which why is she considered a hollywood actress? Has she ever been in a movie? Does anyone know who she is outside of being Gretzky's wife?

I wonder why the authorities didn't pull the trigger on this before the Super Bowl, the most bet on event of the year

They probably got the last piece of evidence needed because of the Super Bowl.

It should be noted that in New Jersey placing a bet with a bookie isn't illegal as long as you claim it. Although I think bookmaking is illegal.

Sadly this is the state of sports today in general.

Respected ex-player and coach the money man, Owers wife involved, rumor that an owner is also involved, several players betting (One most likely is Roenik). And if Gretzky is involved the entire Coyotes franchise might not survive. (Gretz is the "name" that keeps the 'yotes in operation).

Portland might just be getting that NHL team!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Slight correction: Tocchet was not behind the bench tonight. They only had two of the associate coaches (I forget their names).

Are you sure? Gretzy stated in the AZ Republic that Tocchet would be behind the bench like normal. and I was unable to see the game because for some reason I no longer have the OLN network.

PopHeading-1.gif

The fact that they have Tocchet as one of the ringleaders, and not just a guy placing a bet, makes me think they have him dead-to-rights on this.

Mob connections? Money laundering? If they can prove all of this, Ricky is going to be going away for a long time.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived