Bloomington UHL Name Announced

MisterE

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/02...news/107309.txt

I was disapointed by the naming of the Bloomington Extreme, but now it just gets worse. This arena must be cursed. The five finalists were 66ers(Route 66), Firestorm, Bullfrogs(this one is the 2nd worst), Prairie Thunder, and my vote, the Bolts. I believe the commitee wanted a name that would tie to a characteristic of the region, like RIVERmen in Peoria. But did you have to insert Prairie into the name? What's worse is the man who submitted the winning entry was a city alderman and is on the city council. He gets an autographed team jersey, season tickets, and the inauguaral puck drop. Just when the city was hoping for a bright spot with this arena ordeal with the announcing of the hockey nickname, a city alderman who got us started with this whole arena mess in the first place wins the contest and gets all the prizes normal citizens and hockey fans were hoping to get.

As a closing statement, GO RIVERMEN! LONG LIVE PEORIA!

I would have combined Firestorm and Prairie Thunder and gone with Prairie Fire.

To the unitiated, one of the meanings of Prairie Fire is a wicked little potable consisting of a shot of tequila with a dash of Tabasco sauce (or other similar hot pepper sauce as may be available). It is almost as good as it sounds :upside:, however it has been known to induce :puke: if you consume too many.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Knowing the UHL he won't able to use all his season tickets before the team skips town. :P I was talking to the Assistant Hockey Coach here at Ferris, and the UHL came-up but he called it the Uhaul League, and being from Saginaw, I know exactly what he means.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I had a wicked case of Prairie Thunder once, after a long Friday night of drinking my way down Green Street in Champaign that wrapped up at La Bamba. Yeee-ouch.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 3 weeks later...

Should have been Bloomington BlackIce

As for "Prairie Thunder" the release states it is about the history of Railroads and Thunderstorms that both roll over the prairie. I wonder what the logo will look like. Maybe they should have gone with "Railroaders" instead.

Also Hoffman Estates will have a UHL team next year too. One final choice for nickname is "Prairie Dogs". Others are Foxes Hounds Hitmen Blizzard.

How about Chicago Mobsters, Icebreakers,

Prairie Fire would not have been an option, since it is the nickname of a college in Western Illinois, Knox College Prairie Fire. Now if ever a team should be called

"The Gold" it is Knox. (urgh, even I groan at that one.)

The UHL, Hockey's ABA.

Seriously, will someone just swallow this league up, keep the good teams and let the rest fold.

actually the Hockey ABA would be called the SPHL, the UHL at least has great teams.

The UHL, Hockey's ABA.

Seriously, will someone just swallow this league up, keep the good teams and let the rest fold.

actually the Hockey ABA would be called the SPHL, the UHL at least has great teams.

Quad City and Elmiria is about it.

Fort Wayne, Muskegon and Flint are living off its history.

The UHL, Hockey's ABA.

Quad City and Elmiria is about it.

Fort Wayne, Muskegon and Flint are living off its history.

Wow...holy misinformed...

Elmira's in pretty big jeopardy of going under thanks to an idiot owner and 3 straight years of lousy teams...yet they're a "great team".....Mmmmkay <_<

Muskegon, Fort Wayne, Kalamazoo, and Rockford are pretty successful at the gate and in the standings as of late, so I wouldn't say they're living off of "past glories"

Call us when you get a clue about the U before speaking on it....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

• 3 weeks later...

The junior football team in Regina used to be called the Prairie Thunder. Not the Regina Prairie Thunder, just Prairie Thunder. Then a year or two ago they changed it to Regina Thunder.

Also, the Regina team in the Rugby Canada Super League is called the Prairie Fire. Again, no city name.

To all of those in this posting...

The alderman who won the prize for naming the Bloomington Prarie Thunder

decided to donate his tickets and other prizes to charity.

This I thought was a great idea and it helped me get over the idea that an alderman had come up with the concept. But it doesnt help either when you kow the guy graduated a year ahead of me in high school either. I dont know him personally, but he worked with the San Diego Chargers, and an Arena football team in Utah. So he has had experience with sports business. But it still sucks when I tossed a few ideas in the contest and didnt make the final cut.

(Bloomington: Railsplitters, and Fire)

As for the logo ideas I read that got tossed around where a steam engine with bison running along side it or a storm cloud above a prarie.

QCWheeler

QCWheeler

QCW2Logo.jpg

Archived