I'm going to the WBC!

amare32

USA! USA!

It was a good game. Not too much drama, as the only scoring came on solo HRs. But it gave me goose bumps to hear the Team USA roster announced, w/ an incredible array of talent on the field.

There was a moment of silence for Kirby Puckett. Unfortunately, it was punctuated prematurely by shouts of "USA!" I'm all for patriotism, but fans should show some respect for Kirby and for the game. There's a time for cheering and a time for solemnity.

Once the game got started, it was pretty evenly back-and-forth w/ the fans. The Mexican fans are naturally a little bit louder, more used to soccer-style chanting. Overall, the stadium was lively and largely full, w/ no open seats in the lower bowls and maybe 1/3 of the upper deck in use.

Jake Peavy breezed thru the first 3 innings, w/ fewer pitches than Mexican starter Rodrigo Lopez needed to get thru 2 IP. Griffey had the most impressive early AB for the Americans, working the count full and fouling off a couple pitches before drawing the walk. W/ a pitch count in effect, it pays to make the opposing pitcher throw a lot of pitches.

Derrek Lee and Chipper Jones both hit their shots to the opposite field, right and left respectively. And Johnny Damon hit a gapper to the wall that was a triple all the way. Mexico never really threatened, as they hit into 3 double-plays by my count.

Most surprising to me were the boos for Alex Rodriguez. It's funny how being the highest paid player on the New York Yankees -- and then equivocating about whether to play in the WBC and for whom -- makes him into a villain. I'm not a fan particulary, for just those reasons, but I wouldn't boo someone representing the United States. Not to mention that he's still a great player.

All-in-all, I was impressed w/ the effort. I got a thrill driving to the game, thinking about seeing my national team play. Seeing the players on the field, I got the sense of what it must be like for an Englishman to see Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney and John Terry take the pitch together. No disrespect to the other teams in the tournament, but nobody should beat us in baseball.

I get to see the US take on Canada tomorrow, followed by Canada versus Mexico on Thursday. I feel fortunate to see the tournament played. I think that in time the concerns about injury and pitch counts and the sense of artificiality will wear off. I predict that in time this will be seen as a great event -- perhaps by the time the finals roll around.

You know who I'm cheering. :flagusa:

USA! USA!

Once the game got started, it was pretty evenly back-and-forth w/ the fans. The Mexican fans are naturally a little bit louder, more used to soccer-style chanting. Overall, the stadium was lively and largely full, w/ no open seats in the lower bowls and maybe 1/3 of the upper deck in use.

You know who I'm cheering. :flagusa:

so you mean to tell me there were more people there than there was at a Diamondbacks game :P. No but seriously, it was a fun atmosphere, and I plan on going to tomorrow, but if I don't have anything to do at work tomorrow so we'll see. ALL I CAN SAY IS USA USA USA USA USA

The atmosphere during the DR-Ven game earlier today was intense. But teams were very passionate and the fans brought a new flavor never before seen in a baseball stadium in the US.

according to my manager of the ticket office at Bright House Networks Field said that the crowd for the Phillies-Venezuela exhibition was the same way.

The atmosphere during the DR-Ven game earlier today was intense. But teams were very passionate and the fans brought a new flavor never before seen in a baseball stadium in the US.

Yeah... like the Argentinean soccer fans... ;)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Did anyone see the China-Taiwan (don't recall what name they used) game on ESPN2 last week though? If there were 2,000 in the stands, I'dve been shocked.

Not paying attention to any of it, but ah well. Go USA! :flagusa:

Yeah, one of the girls now interested in the newly single me feels the same way about baseball that you do. She wont last long unless well you get the idea.

Archived