SC screw-ups and the F-Bomb dropped on ESPNEWS

marlinfan

FCC can't do anything about cable (yet)

Is that really true? I know they have much less control over cable, but I always thought they still had the ability to regulate to a ceratin degree. I would imagine that if this was true many channles would never bleep anything and would have no problem showing nudity.

PopHeading-1.gif

Is that really true? I know they have much less control over cable, but I always thought they still had the ability to regulate to a ceratin degree. I would imagine that if this was true many channles would never bleep anything and would have no problem showing nudity.

The FCC does have authority over cable. The difference is that cable is a subscription vs. over-the-air being free. Cable is a choice, and subscribers accept and expect more content freedom. Over-the-air is held to tougher standards strictly on the basis of accessibility.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

No one except those in the studio knows exactly what was going on off screen when she let the F-Bomb fly. For all we know, someone could have shot an elastic that just missed her eye. Farfetched perhaps, but all you hear is a swear, you don't know the context to which it was uttered. So she may not face any discipline at all.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The FCC does have authority over cable. The difference is that cable is a subscription vs. over-the-air being free. Cable is a choice, and subscribers accept and expect more content freedom. Over-the-air is held to tougher standards strictly on the basis of accessibility.

I was under the impression that the FCC had no control over cable (HBO anyone?) but the cable networks choose to censor out anything offensive to keep their advertisers happy.

Remember the "s**t" episode of South Park? That aired on Comedy Central uncensored. Why? Because they got special permission from their sponsors to go for it.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I was under the impression that the FCC had no control over cable (HBO anyone?) but the cable networks choose to censor out anything offensive to keep their advertisers happy.

Remember the "s**t" episode of South Park? That aired on Comedy Central uncensored. Why? Because they got special permission from their sponsors to go for it.

I believe there is a difference between a channel like HBO and Comedy Central. The only way to get channels like HBO or Cinemax is to personally order the channel separately or order a movie "tier" package. But Comedy Central is included in the basic cable line-up. I am pretty sure the FCC has control over Comedy Central and that episode of South Park you are talking about was actually Ok?d by the FCC. I also think that HBO is actually controlled by the FCC too. I have noticed that on HBO, Cinemax and so on don't start showing their more risqué shows until a certain universal time slot. Seems as if the FCC may actually make them not shows these programs and movies until after a certain time in the night/morning.

PopHeading-1.gif

I believe there is a difference between a channel like HBO and Comedy Central. The only way to get channels like HBO or Cinemax is to personally order the channel separately or order a movie "tier" package. But Comedy Central is included in the basic cable line-up. I am pretty sure the FCC has control over Comedy Central and that episode of South Park you are talking about was actually Ok?d by the FCC. I also think that HBO is actually controlled by the FCC too. I have noticed that on HBO, Cinemax and so on don't start showing their more risqué shows until a certain universal time slot. Seems as if the FCC may actually make them not shows these programs and movies until after a certain time in the night/morning.

Oddly enough, the FCC has regulatory authority over anything involving radio waves. Not only the internet, radios, TVs and cable, but also things such as microwaves.

As for HBO and Comedy Central, different standards for different levels of accessibility.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

The fact that cable channels do put some kind of restrictions on the content they dsitribute may not necessarily be government-mandated. Maybe it's the television equivalent of when a school assigns "self-imposed sanctions" to its athletic program.

In both situations, the people in charge retain control. The sanctioning bodies don't tell anyone what to do, but they have an "influence" in the eventual final decision.

Something about "self-imposed sanctions" seems really lenient to me.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Oddly enough, the FCC has regulatory authority over anything involving radio waves. Not only the internet, radios, TVs and cable, but also things such as microwaves.

100% true. I once had federal agents come to my door and sieze a burrito I was heating up. It had something to do with fighting the "war on munchies" or something to that effect.

I don't see anything happening to her to be honest (i'll agree with Infrared..much ado about nothing, folks)....screwups like this have happened in Bristol in the past.

I remember a pretty famous one by Steve Levy a while back...it was something about NFL injuries and Lawyer Milloy (then of the Pats) was diagnosed with a "bulging disc"...except Steve didn't say "disc"...he said something else :lol:

"Does anyone know what the "What the #%&@ was that?" statment was reffering too?"--Squeaks4

That's in reference to a famous line by Norm McDonald back when he was doing Weekend Update on SNL. I think something fell backstage and made a pretty loud noise, so he uttered that little line...and seeing the show was live, there wasn't a 7 second delay. He followed it up with, "well, seeing this is gonna be my LAST appearence on Weekend Update..." :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

And then the next week, Norm was doing a story about a town where a cop resigned leaving only one cop left and said into his tape recorder: "Note to self: if I get fired for cursing on the air last week, drive up to Virginnes, Vermont, hypnotize the remaining police officer... and loot town! " :D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I don't see anything happening to her to be honest (i'll agree with Infrared..much ado about nothing, folks)....screwups like this have happened in Bristol in the past.

I remember a pretty famous one by Steve Levy a while back...it was something about NFL injuries and Lawyer Milloy (then of the Pats) was diagnosed with a "bulging disc"...except Steve didn't say "disc"...he said something else

"Does anyone know what the "What the #%&@ was that?" statment was reffering too?"--Squeaks4

That's in reference to a famous line by Norm McDonald back when he was doing Weekend Update on SNL. I think something fell backstage and made a pretty loud noise, so he uttered that little line...and seeing the show was live, there wasn't a 7 second delay. He followed it up with, "well, seeing this is gonna be my LAST appearence on Weekend Update..."

Last weekend in Washington, a new museum dedicated to broadcast journ-- [Norm chokes on the word and clears his throat] Gaahh!... [under his breath] What the  :censored: was that? ... [audience laughs but Norm presses on] Last weekend in Washington, a new museum... [crowd realizes what Norm has just said and starts cheering and applauding - a grinning Norm sighs] Aaah hah, my farewell performance. Last weekend-- [more laughter]

Last weekend in Washington, a new museum dedicated to broadcast journalism opened where visitors can appear on camera and pretend they are news anchors. So far the museum has been visited more than two hundred times by Tabitha Soren.

:lol: Also:

Q: How many complaints did NBC receive after Norm Macdonald said " :censored:" on air?

A: Two complaints.

Q: How many people called in supporting Macdonald?

A: Three calls of support.

Archived