Phillies Concept

Shumway

I went back to the cranberry(cranburreh) and threw in a bit of powder blue(not much). I know the Phils had red way back in the day, but I wanted to bring back the glory days of cranburreh and blue. Here it is, C&C appreciated:

PhilliesConcept.png

Apparently, I made the sleeves transparent under the pinstripes. Oops! They are supposed to be white, not light bluish.

Couple comments:

In my opinion, sleeve trim and pinstripes don't mix. Striping can be horizontal or vertical, but both just seems to be too much. If you want to work in that trim somehow, maybe the vertical racing stripe (think 80s Mets, Phillies, Expos) would be better (I'd probably just get rid of it all together.)

The current "P" logo just doesn't work well as a chest logo. The reason for this is the "tail" on the top left of the P (not sure if that would be considered a serif, or just decoration.) It effectively "shrinks" the P in half width-wise. I think if you take the swirl P for example, the entire "patch" is a P (the very left edge of the patch is the very left of the P.) With this one, the vertical staff (for lack of a better term) is actually in the middle of the patch, which just makes it look awkward to me. (Same c/c would apply to VD's concept, but I haven't gotten to posting there yet.)

I'm sure I just made no sense, but hopefully someone gets what I'm saying. I'd either go back to the script, or better yet, start from scratch (that's not a dig against you or your concept, I just don't like their current marks - they are vey 'sterile'.)

On the positive side, I think I see grey trim on the numbers on the maroon jerseys - if so, that is pretty cool. I also like the liberty bell BP cap, and the fact that you used a template with raglan style sleeves (I think this should be standard for all pinstripe concepts.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Couple comments:

In my opinion, sleeve trim and pinstripes don't mix. Striping can be horizontal or vertical, but both just seems to be too much. If you want to work in that trim somehow, maybe the vertical racing stripe (think 80s Mets, Phillies, Expos) would be better (I'd probably just get rid of it all together.)

The current "P" logo just doesn't work well as a chest logo. The reason for this is the "tail" on the top left of the P (not sure if that would be considered a serif, or just decoration.) It effectively "shrinks" the P in half width-wise. I think if you take the swirl P for example, the entire "patch" is a P (the very left edge of the patch is the very left of the P.) With this one, the vertical staff (for lack of a better term) is actually in the middle of the patch, which just makes it look awkward to me. (Same c/c would apply to VD's concept, but I haven't gotten to posting there yet.)

I'm sure I just made no sense, but hopefully someone gets what I'm saying. I'd either go back to the script, or better yet, start from scratch (that's not a dig against you or your concept, I just don't like their current marks - they are vey 'sterile'.)

On the positive side, I think I see grey trim on the numbers on the maroon jerseys - if so, that is pretty cool. I also like the liberty bell BP cap, and the fact that you used a template with raglan style sleeves (I think this should be standard for all pinstripe concepts.)

I get what you mean. I thought about going with the old(80s) style wordmark and P, but decided otherwise. I actually thought I got rid of the sleeve stripes on the home, but apparently I didn't.

On the maroon alts, the trim color is actually powder blue, but the one I used looks pretty similar to gray(I had a hard time telling the difference when I had powder blue on the road set).

yes, certainly get rid of the pinstripes & sleeve stripes, it would make your concept that much better. it is great already, but some little things could make it almost flawless. i feel like the powder blue should be played up a little more. maybe even using it in the BP or alt instead of dropping it altogether. if your going to use it, use it. its a unique color scheme, why not play it up a little bit? this might not be a popular suggestion with everyone else, but i would like to see the liberty bell on the chest of the pinstripes. i think the comment about the P being shrunk width-wise by the "decoration" was dead on, and the bell could fix that. more powder blue please. :winner:

Nothing says Phillies glory years like the names: Jeltz, Ready, Thon and Hayes. :rolleyes:

The concept is fine. I grew up with those unis and colors, but like BBTV said the current P doesn't work as a chest logo. I would meet you in the middle with this. Current Phillies unis with maroon and powder blue instead of red and royal. Also, bring back the independence hall logo. Either as it was or with the current wordmark. Just bring it back.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Nothing says Phillies glory years like the names: Jeltz, Ready, Thon and Hayes. :rolleyes:

The concept is fine. I grew up with those unis and colors, but like BBTV said the current P doesn't work as a chest logo. I would meet you in the middle with this. Current Phillies unis with maroon and powder blue instead of red and royal. Also, bring back the independence hall logo. Either as it was or with the current wordmark. Just bring it back.

Hey, Steve Jeltz had the best jerry-curl of all time.

I actually forgot all about the independence hall logo. That might have to be done.

Hey, Steve Jeltz had the best jerry-curl of all time.

I actually forgot all about the independence hall logo. That might have to be done.

Love the concept...

...except for the inclusion of Steve "Two-Ten" Jeltz. :evil:

(And yes, I do still hold a grudge because that no-glove, no-stick banjo hitter was the ONLY Phillie to snub me an autograph at an autograph session before the 1987 home opener. Every other guy on the team signed, including Mike Schmidt and Rich Ashburn. Hell, Larry McWilliams came and sat at our lunch table. But Jeltz, coming off a lusty .219 season, was too interested in his food to sign for an 11-year old kid. Jerk. :mad:)

Where's Jeff Stone, Ron Jones, Wes Chamberlain, David Doster and Greg Legg? They couldn't be free to model some new gear? :P

These aren't bad, though I have reservations about returning to uniform colors that are better left retired. And we could ditch the number font they have now while we're at it. But these really aren't too shabby. I'd also cut the underline, and thicken up the pinstripes just a little so they look like the color you intended them to be.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Where's Jeff Stone, Ron Jones, Wes Chamberlain, David Doster and Greg Legg? They couldn't be free to model some new gear? :P

Out of these guys, I only know of Wes Chamberlain. I'm only 20, and not a Phillies' fan, so my knowledge of them is somewhat limited, although somehow I remember guys like Steve Lake and Randy Ready. I was gonna put Kim Batiste in there, but decided to pay homage to my brother's Von Hayes starting lineup.

I've got a little bit of fixing up to do, once I have time. I'm overloaded with projects right now for school, bu Friday I have no classes, so expect an update sometime then. Maybe a new set of models?

• 3 weeks later...
maybe the vertical racing stripe would be better

NO NO OH GOD RACING STRIPES ARE NEVER BETTER

Okay, my thoughts: I prefer maroon/cranberry for the Phillies rather than just plain red. Just Plain Red is covered by the Reds and Cardinals in the NL, Angels in the AL. It's a pleasant callback to the 80s, when the Phillies won a Series. I don't like the font they use for player names, it's too thin or something. Try block letters in vertical arch, maybe? Also, I still like the idea of writing "Philadelphia" on the road jerseys, unprecedented and unwieldy as it may be. But I can see why you strayed from that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just to verify, are the sleeves on the home really a different color, or is that just part of the templete?

If they aren't meant to look that color, then what you have is a 100% grade-A concept.

VmWIn6B.png

Yo, I absolutely love this. I have posted a similar concept on here before myself. I wanted to try mixing the old and new, you my friend perfected it with this piece.

I would love to see someone put up a powder blue alt at some point as well. I don't know how well it would go with any of the pants here, or if you would hafta go ahead and design an all blue uniform, but either way I was such a mark for that uni.

Oh yeah, and like the other guys said, kudos for bringing back the 80's players (except for Jeltz, he sucked lol).

Archived