Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Packer Writer

Sec19Row53

Cliff Christl has been covering the Packers, fist in Green Bay, now in Milwaukee, for as long as I can remember. He posted this today in his blog:

TUESDAY, April 11, 2006, 2:31 p.m.

The Packers' uniforms

Spent the weekend in Montreal. Didn't get to the hockey game. Scalpers were asking $300 for good seats. But every time I saw a Canadiens' jersey in a store window, I was reminded that of all the storied franchises in sports, the Canadiens have the best looking uniforms. Yes, even better looking and more stately than the Yankee pinstripes. The Canadiens' red, white and blue colors are striking and the "CH" logo portrays history and tradition like no other.

On the other hand, I couldn't help but think that the Packers have the ugliest uniforms of all the storied pro franchises in North America. The "G" would be fitting, only if the name of the city was simply Green. The gold is really mustard yellow. And the green wouldn't match if the uniforms were truly trimmed in gold.

Vince Lombardi might have been a heck of a coach, but he had no taste for uniforms or colors. In 1959, he approved the basic design and color scheme that's still being used today. Before that, from the 1920s through 1958, the Packers wore a variety of different uniforms, all of which would give the Packers a more dignified and befitting look today.

In their infinite wisdom, Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren considered changing the uniforms in the early 1990s, but buckled to fan sentiment. Good thing Wolf didn't run his football team the same way. Or the '90s might have been as ugly as the team's uniforms.

--------

I disagree with him regarding the Packer uniforms, but thought it might stimulate some discussion by posting it.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't put it quite that way, but I agree on a couple points.

I do agree that most of the Lambeau-era uniforms, especially the classic navy-with-gold-shoulders design, were better than the very busy uniforms we wear.

I've never been a huge fan of the "G" logo for just that reason. Vastly prefer the interlocking "GB" logo that the 1960s coaches wore on their caps.

As for the 1994 uniform overhaul, I was all for it when I heard about it, and I'm still all for it. The only thing I would add to it is a single green stripe down the middle of the helmet and down the sides of the pants. Other than that, I really love it. If only....

For those who haven't seen the proposed change, I created a mockup for the Packers Uniform Database. Feel free to check it out (/shameless plug ^_^ ).

I think the Packers have one of the 5 best unis in the NFL, and I don't like the team.

Gold looks tacky with green. And, yellow is a great clor.

Just to be the devil's advocate, the GB isn't neccessary. I think you have the "NY" analogy backwards:

" can you imagine if the Yankees caps just had the N? "

If you insist on the "G" changing to a "GB", then you must insist on the Yankee "NY" changing to a "NYC", because I think they are New York City's Yankees, not the state of New York's.

If you insist on the "G" changing to a "GB", then you must insist on the Yankee "NY" changing to a "NYC", because I think they are New York City's Yankees, not the state of New York's.

The team's name isn't the New York City Yankees, so of course not.

And metallic gold with green looks a lot more refined than yellow with green.

why does everything yellow have to be metallic now? :(

i like the green and gold on the stars, but i also like the green and yellow of the packers and the a's...

they're 2 completely different color schemes, and they shouldn't be merged into one.

What?

Because the Yankees play in New York City, or the City of New York.

SO, the NY should have a C.

What?

Except the official name of the city is just New York and the teams official name is the New York Yankees. Putting a C in the cap would be stupid.

Except the official name of the city is just New York and the teams official name is the New York Yankees. Putting a C in the cap would be stupid.

NO, officially it is the City of New York.

And, people call it NYC, never NY.

Alright but hte teams official name is still just the New York Yankees. In the Packers case their official is the Green Bay Packers.

I don't mind the just the G logo but your argument on that the Yankees should add a C under the other peoples theory is a false analogy because their are key differences.

P.S. Many people just call the city just New York.

I'd consider the source. Cliff Christl is just a cranky old man who started covering the Packers for the Green Bay Press-Gazette back when Dan Devine was coaching. Used to get into arguments with Bart Starr all the time because he wouldn't toe the company line.

I've never been a huge fan of the G, but it's been there since 1961, and 45 years does mean something. Ditto Green and Yellow. It's more appealing than red and yellow, which reminds me of fried eggs with ketchup on them - and I hate eggs.

Seriously, with the continuing changes, monochromicity and trend to drab and dark in the NFL (hey there, Seahawks! you should wear something brighter to be seen in the rain) the Packers have something that is instantly recognizable, symbolizes one of the great dynasties in sports, is unique in its sport (especially with the Eagles getting away from green to navy black) and is visible from two miles away, roughly the distance from an upper deck seat to the field in a modern NFL stadium.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

...give me back my 2nd sleeve stripe set! It's Lombardi-era tradition, and we haven't won a world championship since its retirement after Super Bowl XXXI.

I'll settle for the Majkowski-era single gold ring socks, though.

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

NO, officially it is the City of New York.

And, people call it NYC, never NY.

Alright but hte teams official name is still just the New York Yankees. In the Packers case their official is the Green Bay Packers.

I don't mind the just the G logo but your argument on that the Yankees should add a C under the other peoples theory is a false analogy because their are key differences.

Agreed, the NYC comparison is goofy. The San Francisco one works much better.

I am forced to agree that any logo around long enough, that has lasted as long as it has, should stay.

But I still want to change the colors. And eliminate all the extraneous striping, especially the awful Forrest Gregg neck stripes. Nothing Gregg added improved Lombardi's uniform. Nothing.

The thing I like about changing the uniforms is that they could honor the team's entire tradition, not just Lombardi's years. Lambeau won more titles, after all....

Are you serious with this?

Apply that logic to every MLB team. 22 teams would then have to add a "C" to their monograms, as they play in cities. (This includes the City of Kansas City, Missouri.) 4 teams would add an "S" for "State (of)". The Nationals would get a "C" for "City of Washington"... or would it be "D" for "District"? And what about the Devil Rays, who represent the region of Tampa Bay - unless you believe they play in the body of water the region is named for.

Taking your logic to a ridiculous extreme, the Angels and Dodgers will need Barry Bondsian head growth to accomodate the monogram using their home city's full original name - El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles sobre El Río Porciuncula.

:wacko:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived