Cardinals Unveil $450 Million Stadium

brinkeguthrie

"It's a tray. I call it a cake pan about 3 feet deep," Bidwill said, "a single unit that rolls into place in 45 minutes. It weighs about 17 million pounds and rolls on about 500 wheels on 13 rails."

That is a typo in the article about the rolling turf, isn't it?

17 million pounds?

Already on the schedule is this season's NCAA Division I football championship game, to be played under the new Bowl Championship Series format a week after the Fiesta Bowl, and the 2008 Super Bowl.

Sorry to post two in a row, but what is THIS????? When was that decided?

17 million pounds?

Thats probably w/ the trays and everything. I dont know how much that is compared to things like the Safco Field Roof, but I assume its probably lighter.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

"It's a tray. I call it a cake pan about 3 feet deep," Bidwill said, "a single unit that rolls into place in 45 minutes. It weighs about 17 million pounds and rolls on about 500 wheels on 13 rails."

17 million pounds?

No. That's true.

The field tray DOES weigh 16.9 million pounds. It will have all of the irrigation and drainage built into the tray. It's own ecosystem built right in. Prior to gameday, the groundskeepers will just disconnect a few connections, and the field will be ready to move into the building.

The two retractible roof panels each weigh 550 tons. And, according to someone I know that was in the place, you can't even hear the roof when it moves...it's that quiet.

I was just thinking about this...metro Phoenix will be the only area with 4 major sports teams (Cards, Suns, D-Backs, and Coyotes) with of their own playing facilities, and doesn't share their stadiums/arenas with college teams. There a bunch of major 3-team cities (Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Houston, and St. Louis) with their own facilities.

I was just thinking about this...metro Phoenix will be the only area with 4 major sports teams (Cards, Suns, D-Backs, and Coyotes) with of their own playing facilities, and doesn't share their stadiums/arenas with college teams.

Detroit?

Ford Field

Comerica Park

Joe Louis

Palace of Auburn Hills

I was just thinking about this...metro Phoenix will be the only area with 4 major sports teams (Cards, Suns, D-Backs, and Coyotes) with of their own playing facilities, and doesn't share their stadiums/arenas with college teams.

Detroit?

Ford Field

Comerica Park

Joe Louis

Palace of Auburn Hills

Good catch. Yep, Detroit does this as well.

Anyone else find it a little strange that the oldest professional team facility in the Phoenix-area is US Airways Center (formerly America West Arena)?. Opened in 1992. Although, I believe they just completed over $100 million or so in renovations to it...

Here's a comparison...here's the Phoenix-area facilities and their opening year:

• Cardinals Stadium (2006)
  • Glendale Arena (2003)
  • Chase Field (1998)
  • US Airways Center (1992)

...and Detroit:

• Ford Field (2002)
  • Comerica Park (2000)
  • The Palace of Auburn Hills (1988)
  • Joe Louis Arena (1979)

Detroit?

Ford Field

Comerica Park

Joe Louis

Palace of Auburn Hills

Good catch. Yep, Detroit does this as well.

Anyone else find it a little strange that the oldest professional team facility in the Phoenix-area is US Airways Center (formerly America West Arena)?. Opened in 1992. Although, I believe they just completed over $100 million or so in renovations to it...

Here's a comparison...here's the Phoenix-area facilities and their opening year:

• Cardinals Stadium (2006)
  • Glendale Arena (2003)
  • Chase Field (1998)
  • US Airways Center (1992)

...and Detroit:

• Ford Field (2002)
  • Comerica Park (2000)
  • The Palace of Auburn Hills (1988)
  • Joe Louis Arena (1979)

Straying off topic here but was there ever any possibility of the Pistons playing at the Joe? Was it built solely for the Wings? It seems odd for a team to go from a 12,000 seat arena downtown to a cavernous dome on the outside of town when there was a happy medium just next door.

Straying off topic here but was there ever any possibility of the Pistons playing at the Joe? Was it built solely for the Wings? It seems odd for a team to go from a 12,000 seat arena downtown to a cavernous dome on the outside of town when there was a happy medium just next door.

The Pistons have played at the Joe before, but only because the roof at the Silverdome collapsed. I'm not sure exactly why the Pistons decided to go to the Silverrdome. I guess it was just because the capacity was greater at the Silverdome.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at the Olympia page. This should partly answer your question

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/DetroitRedWings/oldindex.htm

I saw, I came, I left.

Already on the schedule is this season's NCAA Division I football championship game, to be played under the new Bowl Championship Series format a week after the Fiesta Bowl, and the 2008 Super Bowl.

Sorry to post two in a row, but what is THIS????? When was that decided?

It's Fiesta Bowl turn in the rotation to host the National Championship, it's just coincidentally that they now have a National Championship after all the bowls have been played

The Pistons have played at the Joe before, but only because the roof at the Silverdome collapsed. I'm not sure exactly why the Pistons decided to go to the Silverrdome. I guess it was just because the capacity was greater at the Silverdome.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at the Olympia page. This should partly answer your question

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/DetroitRedWings/oldindex.htm

It answers why the Wings went to the Joe but it seems if they had control over it, they would stand to make even more money "renting" it out to the Pistons.

I had forgot all about Detroit, I was thinking off of the top of my head of every major sports city and whether or not each of their had their own seperate facility.

About the Pistons, I've always heard that Bill Davidson (he bought the Pistons in 1975) didn't like being in downtown Detroit, so that's why he didn't wait another year (1979) to move with the Red Wings to Joe Louis Arena. You should know that the Pistons play 33 miles north of downtown Detroit, which has to be by far the fartest distance between a team and their "home" city, and except for a couple games at the Joe in the 1980s, they haven't played in city limits of Detroit (let alone in Wayne County--where Motown is located) in almost 30 years.

About the Pistons, I've always heard that Bill Davidson (he bought the Pistons in 1975) didn't like being in downtown Detroit

Can you blame him.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was just thinking about this...metro Phoenix will be the only area with 4 major sports teams (Cards, Suns, D-Backs, and Coyotes) with of their own playing facilities, and doesn't share their stadiums/arenas with college teams.  There a bunch of major 3-team cities (Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Houston, and St. Louis) with their own facilities.

The Steelers share Heinz Field with the Panthers.

Archived