Leafs fire Pat Quinn

CC97

No real details as of yet but tsn.ca is reporting that Pat Quinn has been kicked to the curb by the leafs...

Kind of a surprise, kind of not... this was the only season the Leafs did not make the playoffs while Quinn was coach, and this was his 7th season.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

This kinda sucks. The beauty of Maurice being the Head Coach would be free tix (appearently he is friends with our family friends and they got tix to the Carolina/Leafs playoff games back in '02) but I am not sure if he would be the best choice right now. I'm sure Marc Crawford will soon be avaliable, and there is always Brent Sutter who has yet to commit to an NHL team. I'd take the last 2 over Maurice anyday...but I will miss Quinn...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Link from ESPN...

Personally, I would've liked to see Ferguson gone rather than Quinn, but someone had to go.

Why Ferguson? Ferguson has only been GM for two seasons. (The lockout can't count because nobody could do anything during that time.) As far as trying to build a team for this past season, his hands were tied. He had only one month to build a team this year and most of it was bound by contracts signed before he joined the team. He tried his best to ice a good team of current NHL veterans, but at the end of the day, it turns out that the young guns he winded up drafting are turning out to be the best moves for the franchise.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Link from ESPN...

Personally, I would've liked to see Ferguson gone rather than Quinn, but someone had to go.

Why Ferguson? Ferguson has only been GM for two seasons. (The lockout can't count because nobody could do anything during that time.) As far as trying to build a team for this past season, his hands were tied. He had only one month to build a team this year and most of it was bound by contracts signed before he joined the team. He tried his best to ice a good team of current NHL veterans, but at the end of the day, it turns out that the young guns he winded up drafting are turning out to be the best moves for the franchise.

Not quite...he signed Belfour to his rediculous contract before the lockout KNOWING that there was a good chance the salary cap would be in place, he also recently signed Kaberle for about 4.5 Mill a season, and that was a HORRIBLE move on JFJ's part due to McCabe will now command a salary of 5.5 mill upwards since a benchmark for marquee defencment for the Leafs has already been established. He's had some good draft pics, and even if he is fired as GM in the future, this guy should be retained due to his eye for young talent and it would be useful for drafts. I do agree that JFJ should be givin another chance, but Quinn should not have taken the fall for JFJ's moves, or more so, lack of.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Link from ESPN...

Not quite...he signed Belfour to his rediculous contract before the lockout KNOWING that there was a good chance the salary cap would be in place, he also recently signed Kaberle for about 4.5 Mill a season, and that was a HORRIBLE move on JFJ's part due to McCabe will now command a salary of 5.5 mill upwards since a benchmark for marquee defencment for the Leafs has already been established. He's had some good draft pics, and even if he is fired as GM in the future, this guy should be retained due to his eye for young talent and it would be useful for drafts. I do agree that JFJ should be givin another chance, but Quinn should not have taken the fall for JFJ's moves, or more so, lack of.

At the time though, Belfour was worth it and it wasn't as much of a waste as it would seem. (It's sad that his "wonky back" finally gave out this year, but, to the naysayers: it took FOUR YEARS for it to happen) And Kaberle, while pricey, is leagues better than McCabe. If they're smart, they'll let him sign elsewhere. Signing Aubin for another season was a good move. Whether he becomes starter or a backup to another bonafide goalie they may sign this summer, it is not a bad price.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Link from ESPN...

At the time though, Belfour was worth it and it wasn't as much of a waste as it would seem. (It's sad that his "wonky back" finally gave out this year, but, to the naysayers: it took FOUR YEARS for it to happen) And Kaberle, while pricey, is leagues better than McCabe. If they're smart, they'll let him sign elsewhere. Signing Aubin for another season was a good move. Whether he becomes starter or a backup to another bonafide goalie they may sign this summer, it is not a bad price.

At the time I was pissed over the contract they gave Belfour due to his age and while he had a great season, I knew the next season wouldnt be the same. If they were smart, they would have given him a contract like Haseks or a contract of around 2-3 mill with performance bonuses coming from games played and whatnot. With McCabe, I wont mourn his loss if we are able to sign a good winger who can score goal along side Sundin and from the point on the power play. If we can get that, then McCabe can start packing his bags. The Aubin signing was great, and I'm certain he will be splitting time with Weeks, Gerber, or even another UFA Goalie who will be on the market. Who knows, they could even trade for Raycroft.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

So this is what i was hoping for, quinn was a good coach, but to loyal, Domi, Antropov, Belak and Khanov shouldn't have been in the lineup at all! That being said though I don't like Ferguson, he needs a bit more of a chance, if the Leafs miss the playoffs next season it's bye bye Johnny. Paul Maurice is a great coach and I will be shocked if he isn't hired soon. So let's see what Johnny does and let it play out, I'm so excited about next year!

untitled-6.jpg

I'm surprised that Quinn went that quickly...I thought there would be more of a fight. They could always have sent him to the Marlies if they didn't want to or were unable to fire him.

Quinn's a guy who loves his dinosaurs. Honestly, what buisness does Nik Antropov have ont eh front line? any other team he would be 3rd line at best. Belaka nd Berg? god, those two are terrible, yet they still have a job for some reason...and thats Pat Quinn. Hopefully they have the common sence to promote Maurice and let him turn the team around

while I am happy that quinn is gone, you have to think: how much potential did this year's leafs even have? Can we blame quinn for the fact that past-their-prime veterans were brought in with too high expectations? If anything it's ferguson's fault they leafs were mediocre at best this season. Firing quinn couldn't hurt, but ferguson must go too. Will Paul Maurice be that much better if ferguson keeps bringing in the same type of players? Fergie's already made two questionable moves. He re-signed aubin and kilger for like 3 years or so. as good as aubin's played down the stretch, I find it hard to believe that he can have a similar performance next year, for a whole season. and as for kilger, while he may have had a good season goal-wise, he probably won't ever score that many again. He will only do that by playing on a line with sundin, which he shouldn't be. fergie overestimated kilger's role with the team.

And that's my rant of the day :grin:

Finally what took my leafs so long to do this. Now they have to find a replacement but who, and hoprefully can do the job. Mabye somone is next to join Quinn.... *cough* JFJ.

That way next season, myself, CC, and other leafs fan can finally cheer them on to the stanly cup finals.

4kv29i.jpg

I saw this coming once Canada didnt medal the Leafs were struggling badly at the break and then that happened and they didnt recover and didnt make the playoffs all of which had to be unaccepatable to their fan base.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived