Too many World Cups

paynomind

I am of the mind that there are too many events referred to as "The World Cup"

In my mind, mens international soccer is the only world cup, and everything else is masquerading.

What do you think? Is it ok that so many events are called the same name? If not, which sport do you think earns the title "World Cup" ?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I don't know how many other World Cups there are, but the only one that I can think of besides soccer is the World Cup of Hockey. It doesn't matter to me how many events they call the world cup because when most people just say "World Cup" it's basically a given that they're talking about soccer. However, when you want to talk about the World Cup of Hockey, most people would have to say "World Cup of Hockey. I guess it's ok that there are other events besides the soccer World Cup called World Cup. I figure that because the soccer people (FIFA I think) didn't copyright it I guess, which is why other sports can use the term "World Cup. I don't know what else they would call the World Cup of Hockey though. But the most important World Cup is soccer. Hockey already has the Stanley Cup playoffs and the Olympics, so to me the World Cup of Hockey is not as important as the World Cup of soccer.

I think it's probably just the easiest way to name a championship, that imcompass nations competing against each other. When I think of 'World Champions' I always picture an north american sports league crowning their top team with that title, where as when I think of World Cup Champion it sounds more global and prestigious.

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

This is a list of all the World Cups....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cup

I disagree that soccer should be the only World Cup. I do agree that there are too many. I think that the biggest international team competition has the right to be called a "World Cup". Especially when everyone knows "World Cup" means soccer. Whenever talking about another World Cup its usually "World Cup of Rugby" or "Cricket World Cup". Those two World Cups are huge too and I don't think they should change their names.

Well... let's work your memory... which sport did launch its first world cup?

Then... with some authority that sport would use "World Cup" without adding the sport's name to one side.

It's like branding the words "World Cup". Like "World Series" of baseball.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I was actually surprised when the World Baseball Classic wasn't called the Baseball World Cup.

It's a bit like "Grand Prix" and how too many sports try to use that name. For me, it's Formula One and nothing else.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived