Oilers Getting Rid Of Championship Banners...

LoligerBS

I'd assume they are making new ones... its common to replace banners to make a more uniform look.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I'd assume they are making new ones... its common to replace banners to make a more uniform look.

Well it's the only way they could get new ones! :D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Why are they selling team photo plaques from the locker room?

Those are irreplaceable unless they plan on using negatives and some software to create new ones.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I'd put my money on them getting new banners, since with the change from orange and royal to navy and bronze, new banners would certainly clash quite a bit with the old ones.

VmWIn6B.png

They've actually had new banners up since late November:

The Edmonton Oilers announced today that their 22 Championship Banners, which proudly hang over Rexall Place ice, will be replaced this month. The banners, commemorating the Oilers 5 Stanley Cups, 8 Smythe Division Championships, 6 Campbell Conference Championships, 2 NHL President?s Trophies, and 1 NHL League Championship, are in poor condition and will be retired after serving for over 20 years on the front line of the City of Champions.

The new banners will be exact replicas of the originals - having been produced by the same local manufacturer as the originals. The new banners will feature improved dyes and materials that will resist fading over the years. ...

The original 22 Championship Banners will be on display for two more Oilers home games (Thursday, November 17 vs. Detroit & Saturday, November 19 vs. Chicago). The original banners will then be made available to hockey fans and collectors as part of an Edmonton Oilers Memorabilia Auction that will take place in the coming weeks, and is expected to generate as much as $300,000 for the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation. Full details on the Edmonton Oilers Auction will be announced next week.

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/news/index.php?id=165

As for team pictures, etc.:

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/news/index.p...=407&type=press

It doesn't say why they're being auctioned off, though. Net proceeds will go to the EOCF again.

a little over $13,600 per banner?

I dunno... I think they might go for more than that.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

a little over $13,600 per banner?

I dunno... I think they might go for more than that.

Some of them will fetch ALOT more than that...like the 84/85 banners for sure which celebrates Gretzky's best season. I hope whoever buys these babies will lend them to the Hockey Hall of Fame because they deserve to be seen by the fans and I would love to be able to see one of them when I go down there again soon.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Why are they selling team photo plaques from the locker room?

Those are irreplaceable unless they plan on using negatives and some software to create new ones.

Irreplaceable??? They are just selling one copy of the prints. Who's to say it was the only copy ever made? I would imagine they are keeping the negatives, if for some reason they don't have hundreds of prints of that picture in their archives that you aren't aware of.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

The banners were replaced (as it says in the news item) because they were getting old and the colors were fading. The blue ones looked horrible - almost gray. When they made the new ones, they recreated the old ones exactly, including the mistakes.

The banners were replaced (as it says in the news item) because they were getting old and the colors were fading. The blue ones looked horrible - almost gray. When they made the new ones, they recreated the old ones exactly, including the mistakes.

What mistakes, if you dont mind sharing because I'm curious.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Archived