Reggie Bush get his wish? Wearing number 1?

Chiefster2000

Why doesn't Reggie line up for a few snaps at QB?

He could practice at QB in minicamps to show his intentions.

He then could take one snap in a preseason game on a QB draw.

Problem solved.

Now that I mention it, why wouldn't the Saints develop a play where Bush takes a direct snap like Thurman Thomas used to for the Bills? He was great at that in Tecmo Bowl.

Everyone loves a roundel.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem solved.

Now that I mention it, why wouldn't the Saints develop a play where Bush takes a direct snap like Thurman Thomas used to for the Bills? He was great at that in Tecmo Bowl.

The number rules would apply to the player's primary position, the NFL is one step ahead!

UniWatch mentioned a similar case in today's column:

Brian Bosworth wore No. 44 at Oklahoma and wanted to keep wearing it when he went pro. But 44 is off limits for NFL linebackers, so when the Seahawks drafted Boz, they claimed they'd occasionally use him as a fullback. They got away with this at first, but the NFL soon put the kibosh on it, and Bosworth had to switch to No. 55.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060525

Number one, he asked to do something that was against the rules. That, by definition is asking to 'break' the rules.

B. It is pretty arrogant to believe that as a rookie never having played a snap in the NFL that your number in college matters one iota. Prove something in the pros, then come see me.

Last, I am beginning to become a hater. He is over-hyped. He could run for 1,200 yards, 16 TDs, and return 4 punts and he'd still not have lived up to this insane about of hype around him. He's a Junior in college. He is going to a team not known for a great line, who already has an ecellent feature back. He played on the best college team in the nation, behind the best line in all of college. He is a shifty kid with some speed. Explain to me how he isnt Warrick Dunn? Expect Dunn in Tampa Bay kind of career numbers form Bush, and you wont be dissapointed. Expect him to the second coming of Jim Brown, Jesus Christ, and Pancakes all wrapped into one, and you will be humiliated with his performance even though it will probably be pretty decent for a smallish non-power back.

Hmmm...your post amused me, because it's how I feel about Michael Vick. :D

All I can say is we'll see. Don't blame him for the hype, though, that's the media's deal. Who gives a flip about Brad and Angelina's baby? But when that kid's born, just watch, it WILL seem like the second coming.

Let's schedule a post exchange for the end of this season. One of us will be eating crow. Hope it's you. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Number one, he asked to do something that was against the rules. That, by definition is asking to 'break' the rules.

B. It is pretty arrogant to believe that as a rookie never having played a snap in the NFL that your number in college matters one iota. Prove something in the pros, then come see me.

Last, I am beginning to become a hater. He is over-hyped. He could run for 1,200 yards, 16 TDs, and return 4 punts and he'd still not have lived up to this insane about of hype around him. He's a Junior in college. He is going to a team not known for a great line, who already has an ecellent feature back. He played on the best college team in the nation, behind the best line in all of college. He is a shifty kid with some speed. Explain to me how he isnt Warrick Dunn? Expect Dunn in Tampa Bay kind of career numbers form Bush, and you wont be dissapointed. Expect him to the second coming of Jim Brown, Jesus Christ, and Pancakes all wrapped into one, and you will be humiliated with his performance even though it will probably be pretty decent for a smallish non-power back.

And Peyton Manning...

And Donovan McNabb...

And Terrell Owens...

Problem solved.

Um, 'cause the NFL is smart enough to see through that. Somewhere in this thread it was addressed and it's against the rules.

The Saints have the direct snap play, they've run it for several years with Deuce McAllister.

All I can say is we'll see. Don't blame him for the hype, though, that's the media's deal. Who gives a flip about Brad and Angelina's baby? But when that kid's born, just watch, it WILL seem like the second coming.

Let's schedule a post exchange for the end of this season. One of us will be eating crow. Hope it's you. :P

As a Saints fan, i hope for you that It is me, too. As a Falcons fan, i hope it is you! :P

You are right. I shouldnt project my distaste for the non-stop media coverage and line of 'football fans' on their knees, mouths wide in front of him, on the player himself.

Really the only thing I've heard from him is his desire to wear number 5 (which was my number for as long as I can remember.) Its the media coverage and blanket, unquestioning assumption that he will be incredible that bothers me, not really him.

I look forward to our exchange at the end of the season.

Care to make it interesting? one week of signature banner time for the winner? What would be yoru over-under for his perfomance?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

It's a lot like the "controversy" that erupted when MLB allowed Ichiro Suzuki to wear his first name on his jerseys. No one else followed Mr. Suzuki's example, and MLB still plays baseball on a nightly basis.

in Japan, Ichiro is his last name if you follow the japanese tradition of family names, so i don't see why there was any controversy about Ichiro other than die hard Mariners fans ticked off he got Randy Johnson's old number.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2271.html

Names on the back of jerseys in MLB are meant to be family name, not last name. MLB did make a special exception for him. The justification for it was not Asian name order conventions. If I remember right, it was based on 2 factors: he wore that in Japan, and he was well established as merely "Ichiro". Considering it wasn't a nickname, MLB didn't have a huge problem with it.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

And Peyton Manning...

And Donovan McNabb...

And Terrell Owens...

Bush is Warrick Dunn now? You have to be kidding me. No one is saying he's Jim Brown; he's not that kind of back. At best I've heard him compared to Sanders, Sayers, and even Marshall Faulk. Warrick Dunn was ALWAYS considered a third down "small" back, ala Dave Meggett. No one thought he was the next Barry Sanders. If anything, Dunn has been a little better than people thought.

Bush will be fine. If he has 1200 yards and scores 20 TDs like you assume, no one will be dissapointed with that. He's one of the best college players of ALL TIME, and you're comparing him to Warrick Dunn, just because of his size? Right. :blink:

As a Saints fan, i hope for you that It is me, too. As a Falcons fan, i hope it is you! :P

You are right. I shouldnt project my distaste for the non-stop media coverage and line of 'football fans' on their knees, mouths wide in front of him, on the player himself.

Really the only thing I've heard from him is his desire to wear number 5 (which was my number for as long as I can remember.) Its the media coverage and blanket, unquestioning assumption that he will be incredible that bothers me, not really him.

I look forward to our exchange at the end of the season.

Care to make it interesting? one week of signature banner time for the winner? What would be yoru over-under for his perfomance?

Deal. As for the over/under, the baseline should be the best ever performance by a running back who was a #1 draft choice. Is there an easy way to research that?

Dunn has been much more than a third down back once given the chance to carry the load full time. He was forced to split carries in Tampa with Alstott and with Duckett his first year in Atlanta but he has emerged as a pretty legit #1 back in the league. I believe he has been performing on an pro bowl level the last three years or so. If Bush plays as well as Dunn has or for as long as Dunn has he'll be doing pretty well but with all the media hype around him if he does'nt have the greatest rookie season ever for a RB and continue that for the rest of his career are people really going to call him a bust? That would be a shame.

Dunn has been much more than a third down back once given the chance to carry the load full time. He was forced to split carries in Tampa with Alstott and with Duckett his first year in Atlanta but he has emerged as a pretty legit #1 back in the league. I believe he has been performing on an pro bowl level the last three years or so. If Bush plays as well as Dunn has or for as long as Dunn has he'll be doing pretty well but with all the media hype around him if he does'nt have the greatest rookie season ever for a RB and continue that for the rest of his career are people really going to call him a bust? That would be a shame.

If Bush's career mirrors Dunn's are they going to call him a bust? Yes. Dunn is a nice player. He's MAYBE a top five back in the NFC... maybe. If Bush isn't among the top two or three for most of his career, then he will be considered a bust.

Yes he would. It's all about expectation levels. The Saints don't want to draft Tiki Barber (who by the way has been good-to-great for five seasons now), they want to draft Barry Sanders or Gale Sayers, because those are the comparisons he's drawing out of college. And if you're taking a player with the number two pick overall, you want at LEAST a bonafide all star year in and year out, something Dunn and Barber haven't been through their careers.

Barry Sanders only lasted about 8 seasons. Running back isn't the most durable position in the world. Heck even Marshall Faulk's GREAT years only numbered about 5. And look at Priest Holmes. He had about 3 seasons, but he was the best RB in football. With RBs (especially small ones) you can't expect a ton of longevity, which is all the more reason Bush needs to be great out of the shoot.

Archived