Reggie Bush get his wish? Wearing number 1?

Chiefster2000

Bush said he'd donate something like 25% of profits from jersey sales if they let him wear 5. Even as a Bucs fan, id prolly buy a Bush jersey if he were to do this.

That'd be great if he saw any of it.

Proceeds from sale of all NFL jerseys are split among various groups including the NFLPA, what used to be NFL Properties, and some charitable organizations. The player himself doesn't see a dime - other than his equal share of the revenue the NFLPA sees from all jerseys sold.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bush said he'd donate something like 25% of profits from jersey sales if they let him wear 5. Even as a Bucs fan, id prolly buy a Bush jersey if he were to do this.

Proceeds from sale of all NFL jerseys are split among various groups including the NFLPA, what used to be NFL Properties, and some charitable organizations. The player himself doesn't see a dime - other than his equal share of the revenue the NFLPA sees from all jerseys sold.

exactly.

he basically said he'd donate a quarter for every dollar spent on any of his jerseys.

out of his own pocket.

pretty nice gesture.

exactly.

he basically said he'd donate a quarter for every dollar spent on any of his jerseys.

out of his own pocket.

pretty nice gesture.

Still not enough. I mean, c'mon, let's get serious here. Despite the NFL's worldwide popularity I'd be willing to lay money down that they don't sell more than 100,000 of any individual player's jersey - from the $300 authentics to the under $100 replicas - from year to year.

But for sake of argument assuming that number's right (and I think if anything it'd be generous), and even going farther to assume that Bush's contribution would be $68.75 per jersey (roughly one-fourth of the price of an authentic jersey at $275 a pop; but more than the replicas, which by my sources outsell the authentics by something like 7-to-1) let's do some math:

100,000 x $ 68.75 is $ 6,875,000.

Does anyone really think that this man's going to kick up as much as nearly $7 million just so he can wear a friggin jersey number? Does anyone think the NFL is going to toss aside a 32-year old rule for the sake of a $7 million donation, when all it has to do to preserve it, and "face," is cut its own check for a similar amount?

I can answer both questions for you: no, and no.

nav-logo.png

No and No is correct.

It would be wrong to toss aside the rule now, for one specific request.

If anything, as a parent, I know the value of picking a random, non-request inspired time to change the rules if you want to change them, so the requestor doesnt get the idea that they controlled anything.

If the NFL wants to loosen the rules, they should do it in two years. Dont do it when Bush asked or every kid will ask from now on.

"I know I'm a lineman, but I'm a highly recruited lineman, I'd like to wear number 8."

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

maybe i'm so willing to let reggie wear #5 because i simply hate that rule.

i don't care when or how they throw it out, but i think they should.

if i ever create myself in madden, i'm always a running back wearing #2, :P

If Bush wants 5 so bad, he should be able to have it, as he plays 2 (3) poisitions anyway. He can plead that it is impossible to contain him to a single position.

Unless one of those positions are QB or placekicker, why would that matter?

This just in from the ESPNEWS ticker...The NFL says a big fat NO to Reggie Bush's request to wear #5 in the league. And to that I say...SHAME ON YOU NFL!!!

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Actually, each player receives 6% of the wholesale cost of each jersey sold. Last year's top sellers, (probably Moss and maybe Manning) earned close to, if not more than $1 million from their jersey sales. Reggie would donate a quarter of whatever he earns, which I'm sure would be around $1 million, so hed be throwing down roughly $250,000 a year to rebuilding the city, but apparently the NFL didn't fall for it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

FYI - this was on the USA Today website

2006-05-14-bush.jpg

Lord Reggie The Great may wear any number he wants at practice (like Deion and Woodson with #2), but that doesn't mean he gets #5 in games.

Not yet, anyway.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

And to that I say...SHAME ON YOU NFL!!!

While you say that, I'm going to applaud them. Good for the NFL, having the cajones to tell a punk rookie he can't have everything he wants.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

While you say that, I'm going to applaud them. Good for the NFL, having the cajones to tell a punk rookie he can't have everything he wants.

I'm going to echo MOCKBA's sentiments... to a degree.

Whether he is a punk, a choirboy or just a 20-something kid fresh out of college is irrelevant. But kudos to the NFL for informing Reggie that he's no better than anyone else. Whether you like the rules or you don't, a rule is a rule. If every other Heisman winner for 30+ years has had to follow the rule, and every other "next great pro football star" has obeyed the rule, why should it be any different for Reggie? Doesn't matter to the NFL what any given player did before they got to the NFL. But as I have said before, Reggie needs the NFL to showcase his skills and make the best living he can. The NFL was doing fine without him, and will survive when he retires. But cutback ability and breakaway speed don't help you at a law firm, or a construction company, and if he wants big money, he's gotta go where the big money is.

Life goes on.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I'm going to echo MOCKBA's sentiments... to a degree.

Whether he is a punk, a choirboy or just a 20-something kid fresh out of college is irrelevant. But kudos to the NFL for informing Reggie that he's no better than anyone else. Whether you like the rules or you don't, a rule is a rule. If every other Heisman winner for 30+ years has had to follow the rule, and every other "next great pro football star" has obeyed the rule, why should it be any different for Reggie? Doesn't matter to the NFL what any given player did before they got to the NFL. But as I have said before, Reggie needs the NFL to showcase his skills and make the best living he can. The NFL was doing fine without him, and will survive when he retires. But cutback ability and breakaway speed don't help you at a law firm, or a construction company, and if he wants big money, he's gotta go where the big money is.

Life goes on.

The NFL has not decided on this matter.

Bush has asked rules committee for exception

The league's powerful competition committee, which will ultimately determine whether Bush can wear No. 5, met by conference call Friday but came to no resolution on the matter. The petition might be considered at a two-day league meeting which begins May 23 in Denver, but even that isn't assured. At this point, the competition committee hasn't drawn up a proposal or offered a recommendation.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Funny there buzzcut I have'nt heard a thing all day on ESPN reguarding Bush being denied the #5. I've watched the ticker the minute after you posted and have'nt seen it all day. I did however see on the ticker that Bush says he does'nt plan on holding out at all but no reference to the NFL saying no to Reggie I think you made it up!

just read this on kffl.com

NFL | League to change uniform number rules

Mon, 15 May 2006 07:35:29 -0700

ESPN reports the NFL has decided to change their policy regarding uniform numbers. No details of the agreement have been disclosed.

so I guess maybe people have selective hearing because this sounds like the opposite of what others are saying they heard from the same media source.

I'm not a big fan of the current NFL Rule 5 (somewhat ironic, I guess), but there needs to be some limits.

My suggestion:

00-09: K, P

0-9: K, P, QB, RB, FB

10-19: K, P, QB, WR, RB, FB, TE

20-29: QB, WR, RB, FB, DB, TE

30-39: RB, FB, TE, DB

40-49: RB, FB, TE, LB, DB

50-59: OL, LB, DB

60-69: OL, LB, DL, DB

70-79: OL, DL

80-89: WR, TE

90-99: DL, LB