Reggie Bush get his wish? Wearing number 1?

Chiefster2000

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No....first of all, he never wore No. 1, he was petitioning for No. 5.

And secondly, that just looks like some placeholder graphic. Last I heard this afternoon, 15,000 people ordered Bush jerseys but they did so without knowing the number.

Edit: bills2005, you beat me by about 12 seconds!

No....first of all, he never wore No. 1, he was petitioning for No. 5.

And secondly, that just looks like some placeholder graphic. Last I heard this afternoon, 15,000 people ordered Bush jerseys but they did so without knowing the number.

Edit: bills2005, you beat me by about 12 seconds!

I heard on the Disney Sports Network last night that Bush petitioned the Competition Committee to allow him to wear #5. There's supposed to be a decision made within a week.

I read somewhere else that plan B was going to be #21 (currently held by 8-yr vet CB Jason Craft), because 6+1+9+5=21.

I would say that there is a reasonable chance he wins the appeal, but the NFL isn't called the No-Fun-League for nothing. They might say "no" just to prove that no one special and you will conform.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The fact that the NFL is even considering it is kinda lame. If the expected answer is "no", why even entertain the idea? As mentioned by many members on this board, if you allow Bush to wear 5, that just opens the floodgates for other players to wear non-traditional numbers for their position. Wouldn't Edgerrin James go for 5 as well, as he requested when he was drafted by Colts? It just creates a "slippery slope" effect, IMO. As a Trojan fan, I'd love to see Bush get to wear 5 in the NFL, but I don't wanna see a bunch of NFL running backs wearing single digit numbers anytime soon. Pardon the pun, but it's a little bush league.

James re-requested to wear #5 a few years ago and was denied.

The NFL usuallly plays hard and straight on these types of matters and I

would have little faith in Bush in a #5 jersey this year.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

The league needs to tell him to take #5 and shove it. If he wants to do his thing in the NFL, he's gotta play by the rules. When you play with the big boys, you can wear the numbers that are available to you within the limits of the standard. They have those rules for a reason.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So the referees are able to use the number system to quickly determine players' positions on the field. If a referee sees a guy wearing 65 touch the ball, he knows to throw a flag because the ball was touched by an ineligible receiver, for example.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

So the referees are able to use the number system to quickly determine players' positions on the field. If a referee sees a guy wearing 65 touch the ball, he knows to throw a flag because the ball was touched by an ineligible receiver, for example.

Using that argument, what's wrong with Running Backs using 1-19? Those are already elgible numbers. That's why WRs can use 11-19 with no problem.

ucnu112sig.png

I read somewhere else that plan B was going to be #21 (currently held by 8-yr vet CB Jason Craft), because 6+1+9+5=21.

What is the significance of 6 + 1 + 9 + 5?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

619 = Area Code of San Diego (where he was born)

5 = his number at USC.

Not changing until the Dallas Stars give all their pre-Dallas history, logos, colors, unis, name, etc. to the Minnesota Wild.

619 is the area code where he's from, he always had it written on his eye-black things too

EDIT - sorry, beat me to it

worldchampsll1.png

What reason is that?
Every football player's uniform has a number on it that is unique for that particular team, making it simpler for fans, coaches, announcers, and officials to differentiate between players. On April 5, 1973, a jersey-numbering system was adopted by the NFL where each position on the football field is given a range of numbers for each player at that position to choose from, however, there are a few players around the league that are exceptions to the rule. This chart explains which number ranges are assigned to each position.

1-9 Quarterbacks and Kickers

10-19 Quarterbacks, Receivers, and Kickers

20-49 Running Backs and Defensive Backs

50-59 Centers and Linebackers

60-79 Defensive Linemen and Offensive Linemen

80-89 Receivers and Tight Ends

90-99 Defensive Linemen and Linebackers

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a...otball+uniforms

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Were it up to me, I'd tell Reggie no. He needs the NFL far more than the NFL needs him. No matter how great he may be by the end of his career, at this point he hasn't accomplished anything as a pro. Every year, a Heisman winner gets drafted, with various degrees of success. Just because he's famous from his collegiate exploits doesn't put him above the rules of the league. Whether the justification is legitimate (who's eligible, who isn't) or irrational (just... because we're the NFL) is irrelevant. It's a private enterprise, which means their house, their rules. If Reggie doesn't like it, he can accept another number like dozens of guys do EVERY YEAR, or he can try and make NFL-level cash in Europe or Canada.

However, I disagree vehemently with this "slippery slope" argument. Yeah, it might mean a few people switch to something else, like Edgerrin James. But Edge is better known as #32 at this point than he ever was as #5 at Miami, so why would he change? (Before I saw his UM pictures, I couldn't have told you what he wore in college if my life depended on it - yet I have a #32 Colts jersey.) It's a lot like the "controversy" that erupted when MLB allowed Ichiro Suzuki to wear his first name on his jerseys. No one else followed Mr. Suzuki's example, and MLB still plays baseball on a nightly basis.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived