Reggie Bush get his wish? Wearing number 1?

Chiefster2000

People will buy his jerseys regardless of what number he wears. That's just plain fact.

Tell the kid to take a number in the regular range, shut up, and play.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we are on the subject, I think the Saints need a new uniform. It seems like they have been a fiasco ever since the black jerseys/black pants and white shoes look from a few years ago.

Much like the Chargers with Navy Blue and Yellow, it takes hard work to make Black and Gold look bad. And it isn't so much that it looks that bad as it doesn't really look anyway at all. It is just blah. They have one of the better helmets in the league in my opinion, but they need to do something to help there uniforms. Nothing drastic, but I think we are at a point where each uniform needs to do somthing no matter how small it is to differentiate itself from other uniforms. In there case it may be as simple as just using another font for the numbers, or bring in some simple clean pinstripe piping or something that plays off the organic shape of the fluer de lis. But I think that with Bush there, they have a great opportunity to change the Aaron Brooks era into something more positive. I even like the way Vanderbilt uses the black and gold idea. Maybe they don't have white jerseys for away, just a light gold?

Whatever it is, I think they need to do something. I remember thinking back in the days of Pat Swilling and Ricky Jackson how bad ass that uniform was, but I think it is time for some slight improvements.

Maybe just getting Falcons style pants and keeping the jersey with a new font? Any thoughts?

Since we are on the subject, I think the Saints need a new uniform. It seems like they have been a fiasco ever since the black jerseys/black pants and white shoes look from a few years ago.

Much like the Chargers with Navy Blue and Yellow, it takes hard work to make Black and Gold look bad. And it isn't so much that it looks that bad as it doesn't really look anyway at all. It is just blah. They have one of the better helmets in the league in my opinion, but they need to do something to help there uniforms. Nothing drastic, but I think we are at a point where each uniform needs to do somthing no matter how small it is to differentiate itself from other uniforms. In there case it may be as simple as just using another font for the numbers, or bring in some simple clean pinstripe piping or something that plays off the organic shape of the fluer de lis. But I think that with Bush there, they have a great opportunity to change the Aaron Brooks era into something more positive. I even like the way Vanderbilt uses the black and gold idea. Maybe they don't have white jerseys for away, just a light gold?

Whatever it is, I think they need to do something. I remember thinking back in the days of Pat Swilling and Ricky Jackson how bad ass that uniform was, but I think it is time for some slight improvements.

Maybe just getting Falcons style pants and keeping the jersey with a new font? Any thoughts?

On the jersey # issue: I like Peter King's idea. The NFL should let Bush have 5.

On the saints unis issue: I think they should use their throwbacks they wore a couple a seasons ago with gold that matches their helmets.

NOLAbanner.jpg

army4-lg.jpg

I have always LOVED the uniforms Army has worn the last few years. Having the Gold numbers on black is a really sharp idea too! The Saints would be in good shape if they did something like this.

Gold numbers on black jerseys? Why didn't the Saints think of that? ^_^

NFLF-Joe_Horn_121403.jpg

Some kind of light gold jersey? Why didn't the Saints think of that? ^_^

02vikings02.jpg

Couldn't agree more that they need a change, but NO to the old 80's uni's with the San Diego number outlines and that crap State of Louisiana logo. Like the idea of the throwbacks:

02bucs11.jpg

And this concept by ColeDMD is outstanding. Use the "throwback" shade of metallic copper gold and make the numbers gold with a white outline (i.e. lose the San Diego-style outline) and it would be great. This is the home:

home.png

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I think under normal circumstances I would say no, but looking at the current roster, there are very few numbers available, the lowest being #30. You can kind of consider it the Keyshawn rule, though technically Reggie could have #30, 40, 43, or 45.

143953235_8fced174d1_o.jpg

Also I'm not sure how the whole taking someone elses' number thing goes, and what numbers Reggie/management would let him take despite already belonging to someone..

Football is pretty lame...designate players by #'s...i understand why they have to do it but if the kicker & QB can touch the ball, it should be fair game for the others that can touch the ball to wear the #'s they get to wear.

Oh well.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

I haven't heard a good argument for Reggie Bush wearing number 5 other than he's worn it for a long time. So what?

It's not like any number he chooses in the NFL won't automatically recognizable. It's not like people at football games won't be able to find Reggie Bush because he's not wearing number 5.

If the NFL can make Mike Williams and Maurice Clarrett sit out drafts, and if the NFL can keep Peyton Manning from wearing black shoes to honor one of the game's icons, I'm pretty sure they can force Reggie Bush to play by the rules.

Also, won't other players try to kill the league's new special-treated golden boy if he's allowed to bend the rules for himself?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I haven't heard a good argument for Reggie Bush wearing number 5 other than he's worn it for a long time. So what?

It's not like any number he chooses in the NFL won't automatically recognizable. It's not like people at football games won't be able to find Reggie Bush because he's not wearing number 5.

If the NFL can make Mike Williams and Maurice Clarrett sit out drafts, and if the NFL can keep Peyton Manning from wearing black shoes to honor one of the game's icons, I'm pretty sure they can force Reggie Bush to play by the rules.

Also, won't other players try to kill the league's new special-treated golden boy if he's allowed to bend the rules for himself?

I think, from a marketing and merchandising standpoint, the NFL has alot to gain by allowing Reggie Bush to wear #5. First of all, you have a proven brand, so to speak, in Reggie Bush's association with the #5. Anyone see that Subway commercial he's in? The association between 5 and Bush is already made, prior to the draft even. And when's the last time we saw a player get an endorsement prior to the actual draft? I can't recall one. When's the last time we've seen this type of player enter the league? I mean, from a purely marketing standpoint, and since the NFL is all about cash money, I say you ALLOW Bush to wear 5, watch the dough roll in from a product that is going to make you RICHER (think of how many MORE Reggie Bush jerseys/products would be sold if it included the #5...not to say that he still wouldn't sell jerseys w/o the #5, but the amount would be greater if it were #5). Obviously, this opens up the floodgates to other players who want unconventional numbers, but rules aside, I think it'd be silly not to allow some unconventional numbers to players, especially when the league could stand to make more money by doing this in terms of merchandising.

There's my argument. I'm sticking to it.

I never even knew the NFL restricted players to a certain range of numbers per position, granted I haven't grown up with the sport as my #1.

My first question is why do you think it is benficial for players to be restricted, and why would it be a bad thing if this particular rule were dropped?

Secondly, could Bush be listed as a different position player, take #5 but line up in his regular position?

thanks

Couldn't agree more that they need a change, but NO to the old 80's uni's with the San Diego number outlines and that crap State of Louisiana logo. Like the idea of the throwbacks:

Couldn't disagree more.

Using the louisiana logo would appeal to a larger audience. And now more than ever the saints need a larger audience.

NOLAbanner.jpg

could Bush be listed as a different position player, take #5 but line up in his regular position?

I somehow doubt the NFL will allow this. And other than perhaps Bush and his family, does anyone really care that much? No one has #30? Voila Reggie, you are now #30!

I mean, from a purely marketing standpoint, and since the NFL is all about cash money, I say you ALLOW Bush to wear 5, watch the dough roll in from a product that is going to make you RICHER (think of how many MORE Reggie Bush jerseys/products would be sold if it included the #5...not to say that he still wouldn't sell jerseys w/o the #5, but the amount would be greater if it were #5).

I'm not sure I buy that argument.

The story posted earlier in this thread says 15,000 Reggie Bush jerseys are already on order, regardless of what number is one it.

I can't see why a #5 would outsell a #40. All that matters to most people, in my opinion, is the name on the back.

I think, from a marketing and merchandising standpoint, the NFL has alot to gain by allowing Reggie Bush to wear #5.

You think the NFL has to worry about Marketing?

Bush is what he is because he is going to enter the NFL. ...AND Bush needs the NFL more the NFL needs Bush.

Just pick a double digit number in the range they give you and move on.

He can wear 5 in practice if he wants... Unless the NFL is going to open the door for all players to wear whatever number they want...

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

I somehow doubt the NFL will allow this. And other than perhaps Bush and his family, does anyone really care that much? No one has #30? Voila Reggie, you are now #30!

But like you say, who really cares what number the players wear, why can't they just decide on any number like other sports? Or do you die hards get easily confused if the number aren't all the same? :cry:

I somehow doubt the NFL will allow this.  And other than perhaps Bush and his family, does anyone really care that much?  No one has #30?  Voila Reggie, you are now #30!

But like you say, who really cares what number the players wear, why can't they just decide on any number like other sports? Or do you die hards get easily confused if the number aren't all the same? :cry:

Isn't former pro bowl running back Ahman Green #30, or were you just talking about the Saints?

Archived