Reggie Bush get his wish? Wearing number 1?

Chiefster2000

I somehow doubt the NFL will allow this.  And other than perhaps Bush and his family, does anyone really care that much?  No one has #30?  Voila Reggie, you are now #30!

But like you say, who really cares what number the players wear, why can't they just decide on any number like other sports? Or do you die hards get easily confused if the number aren't all the same? :cry:

Isn't former pro bowl running back Ahman Green #30, or were you just talking about the Saints?

I was just commenting on the whole Bush situation, if no one really cares why do the league still restrict the numbers.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never even knew the NFL restricted players to a certain range of numbers per position, granted I haven't grown up with the sport as my #1.

My first question is why do you think it is benficial for players to be restricted, and why would it be a bad thing if this particular rule were dropped?

Secondly, could Bush be listed as a different position player, take #5 but line up in his regular position?

thanks

the basic purpose of the number rule is supposed to be so the refs can tell who's an eligible receiver. for that reason, the only rule in college ball is that numbers 50 through 79 are ineligible.

the NFL rule, I honestly think it was outdated the minute it was introduced. defensive players are all eligible receivers anyway, so they don't need the rule; shoot, you can say the college version of the rule's not needed, as the rule on receivers states that only the players on either end of the line (generally the split end and tight end) may legally go out for a pass. there aint nothin about where a running back should line up, nothin about wideouts playing in the backfield. hell, you could put a center in the backfield and hand off to him, there are zero restrictions as to who the ball can be handed off or lateraled to.

heh, you could feasibly make a case that the only reason it's around is cus refs are lazy :D

damn, I didn't answer the questions...

the first one-if anybody can come up with an answer other than "That's the way it is" or "because teh league said so" I'd love to hear it.

second-yeah. worked for Eric Metcalf all those years (he was usually listed as a RB, but was in fact a wideout. I think he did eventually change to an 80s number near teh end of his career, though)

heh, i'm glad we don't use rugby's rules (either of em), as each number there belongs to a position, not a player.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Secondly, could Bush be listed as a different position player, take #5 but line up in his regular position?

The primary position the player plays must follow the NFL number rules:

All players must wear numerals on their jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3c (see NOTE 1), and such numerals must be by playing position as follows: quarterbacks, punters, and placekickers, 1-19 (and 10-19 for wide receivers if 80-89 are all otherwise assigned); running backs and defensive backs, 20-49; centers, 50-59 (60-79 if 50-59 unavailable); offensive guards and tackles, 60-79; wide receivers and tight ends, 80-89; defensive lineman, 60-79 (90-99 if 60-79 unavailable); and linebackers 50-59 (90-99 if 50-59 unavailable).

If a player changes his position during his playing career in the NFL and such change moves him out of a category specified above, he must be issued an appropriate new jersey number.

During the preseason period when rosters are larger, the League will allow duplication and other temporary deviations from the numbering scheme specified above, but the rule must be adhered to for all players during the regular season and postseason. Clubs must make numbers available to adhere to the rule, even if it requires putting back into circulation a number that has been retired or withheld for other reasons. See 7-2-3 for reporting change of position.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.ns...nts/0-jers-nums

// Couldn't agree more that they need a change, but NO to the old 80's uni's with the San Diego number outlines and that crap State of Louisiana logo.  //

Couldn't disagree more.

Using the louisiana logo would appeal to a larger audience. And now more than ever the saints need a larger audience.

Nope. They're not the Louisiana Saints or the Gulf Coast Saints or any other Saints, they're the New Orleans Saints, period. Katrina didn't change that.

North Louisiana is mostly Cowboys country, but they're not the Texas-Louisiana Cowboys, right?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

// Couldn't agree more that they need a change, but NO to the old 80's uni's with the San Diego number outlines and that crap State of Louisiana logo.  //

Couldn't disagree more.

Using the louisiana logo would appeal to a larger audience. And now more than ever the saints need a larger audience.

Nope. They're not the Louisiana Saints or the Gulf Coast Saints or any other Saints, they're the New Orleans Saints, period. Katrina didn't change that.

North Louisiana is mostly Cowboys country, but they're not the Texas-Louisiana Cowboys, right?

Buddy, you need to ask the Saints what percentage of their fanbase comes from Jackson south.

I think under normal circumstances I would say no, but looking at the current roster, there are very few numbers available, the lowest being #30. You can kind of consider it the Keyshawn rule, though technically Reggie could have #30, 40, 43, or 45.

143953235_8fced174d1_o.jpg

Also I'm not sure how the whole taking someone elses' number thing goes, and what numbers Reggie/management would let him take despite already belonging to someone..

Because of this man..

g-w-bush.jpg

... I don't think we need anymore Bush 43

I think under normal circumstances I would say no, but looking at the current roster, there are very few numbers available, the lowest being #30. You can kind of consider it the Keyshawn rule, though technically Reggie could have #30, 40, 43, or 45.

The thing is, this situation isn't as comparable to Keyshawn's situation as people are trying to make it. Keyshawn wore #3 at USC (and be honest - how many people remember that?), and likely would've taken a number in the 80s had the Jets had one available. He took #19 because there was nothing left in the 80s for him to wear. Since then, he's made it his own, and the NFL allowed him to take #19 with him to other teams, even if they had "proper receiver numbers" available. Because he made himself synonymous with #19 for his NFL exploits. He never asked for #3 (or #19, for that matter), and never sought it.

With Reggie Bush, he's asking for #5 because it's what he wore in college and high school. The NFL doesn't have to give a crap about what he did before he entered the NFL. Simply put, he's an employee of the league, which has certain rules (archaic or otherwise) governing what you can and cannot wear on the field of play. Like it or lump it, Reg. The league was fine before you got there, and it will be fine when you're gone. You need the NFL more than it needs you. The Saints already have thousands of orders for "a Reggie Bush jersey", whether it's #5, #40, #43 or #3 7/8. And what would he do if he were drafted by the Packers, who retired #5? Or a team like the Eagles, who already have a prominent player currently wearing #5? Petulance isn't very becoming of a man starting out on his post-college career, Reggie.

So go ahead and leave the college stuff behind. Hell... I cut my hair and shaved my goatee, and started wearing suits to work, because you can't take college with you forever. Get a new number, and have so much success wearing it that you'll be forever known as "Number (X)." It'll happen for you.

Or, look at the last guy who challenged one of the NFL's "archaic" rules - ask Mo Clarett how that's working out for him these days... :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Couldn't disagree more.

Buddy, you need to ask the Saints what percentage of their fanbase comes from Jackson south.

My point is that a team's name isn't related to the fan base. They're the New Orleans Saints, and people either like 'em or they don't, and they're not going to suddenly become Saints fans because the logo has a state of Louisiana in it or the name is changed to Louisiana Saints or Gulf Coast Saints.

If I had to bet, I'd like Reggie's chances of winning this 'fight.'

I've never seen a more hyped player. Ever. I'm surprised he didn't beat Shaun Alexander for NFL MVP last year.

Seriously, anyone who watched the Rose Bowl knows that if any Heisman race deserved to be a close one, it was last season. Instead it was the most lop-sided in history. How does that work? Do people really think Reggie Bush was that much more dominant than Vince Young? Insane.

So yeah, Reggie's gonna get to wear 5. And it's going to look stupid. Really really stupid.

Bush pleads to stay No. 5

Updated 5/11/2006 10:13 PM ET

By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY

Polian said a revised rule would allow more flexibility to offset retired jerseys and probably would mirror the college rule that allows offensive skill-position players to wear numbers from 1 through 49, with receivers and tight ends also able to wear 80 through 89.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

If I had to bet, I'd like Reggie's chances of winning this 'fight.'

I've never seen a more hyped player. Ever. I'm surprised he didn't beat Shaun Alexander for NFL MVP last year.

Seriously, anyone who watched the Rose Bowl knows that if any Heisman race deserved to be a close one, it was last season. Instead it was the most lop-sided in history. How does that work? Do people really think Reggie Bush was that much more dominant than Vince Young? Insane.

So yeah, Reggie's gonna get to wear 5. And it's going to look stupid. Really really stupid.

It'll look fine to me if he's leading a parade of defenders to the end zone. :D

olyfullgetty57529656sg001saint.jpg

please tell me he fell on his face after this plant.. look at the ankle.. cleats not even on the turf... Thats why this guy is amazing

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

olyfullgetty57529656sg001saint.jpg

please tell me he fell on his face after this plant.. look at the ankle.. cleats not even on the turf... Thats why this guy is amazing

anybody who can do that deserves to wear whatever number he wants to!!! Give him 5!!!

SignatureCCSL.png

Archived