C & C

phocused

I was trolling the Avalanche message board last night when I came across a thread asking for submissions to a signature contest. No money, no prizes not even organized by the forum mods but I figured "what the hell". The poster claims to have over 30 entrants so it sounds like a nice little party.

Scrolling through scores of random threads to scout out the possible competition it was obvious the talent wasn't as rich as the CC boards. Don't get me wrong, there are some nice sigs on the Avs board but, not the vastly diverse stuff you find here.

That being said I wanted to enter something in contrast to the average sig of grunge brushed backgrounds and techno texture blends.

My concept was to create a scene from my childhood. Sports cards of my favorite players sprawled out on my bedroom floor. Stored in stacks with a rubber band around the middle. Maybe the coaches card was in your bike spokes the weekend before making that Huffy sound like a Kawasaki.

Anyhow, hit or miss, lemme know how this sits in 'yer craw:

seventies_blueline.jpg

great job, i love that you didn't lay the cards out perfectly symmetrical. nice retro design on the cards. love the addition of the pin, the carpet background looks good....reminds me of doing the same thing as a kid.

only thing i might add is some "abuse" to the cards...some bends, maybe, would be cool looking. perhaps some marking from the rubber bands that hold them together. also, add a retro "phocused trading card company" logo, or something like that to some of the empty space on the back.

excellent job overall.

Very nice work, here.

You dont need to change a thing, it looks super right like it is.

Though, it would be pretty cool to see some additionas, just like Joel had to say.. plus, maybe change the background on the cards to be just a slight bit yellow or tan.. it seems very bright white right now. Maybe some other items on the carpet around them, like the bottom of a coke can, a shoelace, a matchbox car... all the stuff I had on my floor when i was looking at my cards...

But, yes.. exceptionally nice. Taking requests? ;):P

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Thanks guys.

Believe it or not the cards are a little beat up and aged. Maybe the carpet makes them look white but, they are actually tan. I even blunted the corners and stressed the surface. Didn't try to bend them though.

I even considered adding other items to the floor! The perfect addition would have been a stick of the pink gum from a wax pack of Topps cards. Couldn't track one down though.

Can't take credit for the cards retro design as I swiped the look from the '70-'71 set of Topps hockey. They could stand a personal retro company logo though.

I was just teasing about requests, but VERY cool of you to offer the source files.

Very nice work.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Nice look, great job.

I noticed the old style cards right away--I have some of those.

My favorite would have to be Phil Esposito's card--you can tell he just pulled on a jersey and posed. He's wearing some awful, tacky pants, and the jersey isn't his--I don't think the gloves were either.

I'd have to dig it up or search for it on the net.

But the jersey and/or gloves were Fred Stanfield's.

He probably took less than 5 minutes to do his shoot.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Thanks guys.

Believe it or not the cards are a little beat up and aged. Maybe the carpet makes them look white but, they are actually tan. I even blunted the corners and stressed the surface. Didn't try to bend them though.

I even considered adding other items to the floor! The perfect addition would have been a stick of the pink gum from a wax pack of Topps cards. Couldn't track one down though.

Can't take credit for the cards retro design as I swiped the look from the '70-'71 set of Topps hockey. They could stand a personal retro company logo though.

As for requests, feel free to modify the photoshop files:

Card Front (PhotoShop CS)

Card Back (also PS CS)

The links aren't working, but I gotta say, that is awesome work. The only change I'd make is to 'age' the cards a little more - they look white, and the corner bends and what-not aren't visible unless you're really looking for 'em.

nav-logo.png

Excuse whilst I pick up my jaw from off the floor...

OK, I'm back, and I must say I'm very impressed with your design. Couldn't find a flaw even if I wanted to. Excellent job!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

The links aren't working

Sorry, had to remove 'em as my comcast server space was maxed out.

Thanks again for all the great comments. Based on what you guys have said I'll beat them up a little more and tone down the whiteness.

The more I look at it though the more I hate how big it is. Typically I like the smaller size sigs, 125x386 pixels feels just right for me. Anybody else have an opinion on ideal sig size?

Hey Fred, I dig the collection of Kurri jerseys in your sig. How sweet would they be if you made 'em look like they were framed and hung on a wall?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived