Toronto FC name chosen today

steve61

pure class.

that's a team that did it right. i love the soccerball/mapleleaf/crown

this team did it right.

I agree. The "soccerball/mapleleaf/crown" atop the badge was the very first thing that caught my eye. It told me right then and there this was a badge that symbolized Canada and soccer all at once. Nice touch as well on the "mapleleaf" edges of the "Toronto" banner. :flagcanada: No doubt about it, a classy design all the way.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I think of it, I wouldn't mind if it were S.C. instead of F.C. It's still a traditional-style name, which is what I enjoy most.

But I do find the placement of the FC interesting. I wonder why they went with the FC behind the city compared to the opposite way, like FC Dallas.

D.C. United on the other hand has a GREAT logo. Yeah, there's not too much on there but its a classic.

As I said earlier, DC United's logo is one of the most overrated in sports. It's absolutely horrible. The eagle is poorly-rendered... the star-and-ball device is just slapped on the logo... the badge's containment shape is bulbous... the font is generic. I'll grant you that DC United was Major League Soccer's original traditional name, but the team's logo is pure, unadulterated, poorly-designed crap.

Love the logo. Going without a name is pretty cool too. Let a natural nickname evolve from the fans.

Though I don't get the FC thing. I know Dallas' excuse was a large hispanic population. Is there a large hispanic population in Toronto or is soccer known as football in Canada? I guess it's possible to have a large number of European immigrants, but I never would've guessed it would have that much of an effect for soccer to be known as football in the area.

This is the first "new era" MLS team I like. Go Toronto, Chicago, and most of all, Columbus. (Bring back the Mutiny)

Good to see almost universal approval, at least on this thread, for the Toronto FC insignia. Unfortunately, at least one naysayer has had his say: Columnist Dave Perkins in the Toronto Star on Friday called the badge unremarkable "with a fruit salid on top" and a big T ("for taxpayers?"). Mind you, Perkins has been critical of MLSE and taxpayer-funded sports venues in the past, and doesn't even try to hold back in this column. But to dis the logo and to even dis the "team of truants" at the unveiling is kinda low IMO.

Though I don't get the FC thing. I know Dallas' excuse was a large hispanic population. Is there a large hispanic population in Toronto or is soccer known as football in Canada? I guess it's possible to have a large number of European immigrants, but I never would've guessed it would have that much of an effect for soccer to be known as football in the area.

Toronto is touted as one of the most - if not the most - internationally diverse cities in the world. According to the United Nations, Toronto has the 2nd highest percentage of residents born in a foreign country, behind Miami. And whereas Miami's foreign-born population is largely Latino, Toronto's comes from all over the world - Asia, Africa, Europe and the Carribean. For instance, Toronto boasts the world's largest "Little Italy" neighborhood (or they did at one point), and also is home to large Korean, Chinese, Portuguese, Greek and Carribean neighborhoods.

So it'd be a fair guess to say that a sizable portion of MLS Toronto's target audience doesn't call the game "soccer". FC works great in one of North America's true global cities.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Well that is just one badass logo. Too bad DC has to put it in the mud.

That DC logo reminds me of one of the Nazi insignias...the one of the bird holding the swasika.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

That DC logo reminds me of one of the Nazi insignias...the one of the bird holding the swasika.

Well said. I've always thought that. I'm sure DC United to come up with a logo that includes an eagle that ISN'T 1933-1945 retro German <_<

de%5Einf36.gif

DC%20United%20color%20Logo.jpg

Or...

US_eagle_symbol_bw.gif

There's really a lot of logos/shields out there that look sorta like it.

Oh, yeah.  Totally identical.

:rolleyes:

Never said they were. But you can't deny the simularities. Yes, it also looks like an American eagle, but it's the colours that give it its Nazi feel. The Nazis had an emblem of an eagle and shield, and used the colours red, white, and black. The Americans use an eagle and shield, with the colours red, white, and blue. What's the DC United crest depict? An eagle and shield, coloured red, white and black. Yeah, I'm crazy for seeing simularities to Nazi emblems :rolleyes:

Look, just change the DC United Colour scheme to red, white and blue. If you think that's to common, how about changing the red to green? Kind of an old Washington Federals look. The color scheme has to change though. It's the colours, along with what the logo dipicts, that bring out the Nazi simularities.

What's wrong with either of these two colour schemes?

dcunitedrwb.pngdcunitedgbw.png

Well, it should have been this...

Imperial_eagle.jpg

Hope is the first step to disappointment...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

American... German... one thing is certain: DC United's logo features a fugly-looking rendition of an eagle. Simply put, the eagle is only the most egregious of the logo's shortcomings.

As I said before, DC United can proudly lay claim to Major League Soccer's first internationally-traditional team name. However, they can also lay claim to one of the league's least-attractive logos. It's a mess... and the eagle is a BIG part of the problem.

American... German... one thing is certain: DC United's logo features a fugly-looking rendition of an eagle. Simply put, the eagle is only the most egregious of the logo's shortcomings.

As I said before, DC United can proudly lay claim to Major League Soccer's first internationally-traditional team name. However, they can also lay claim to one of the league's least-attractive logos. It's a mess... and the eagle is a BIG part of the problem.

What gets me about the DC United name is what was exactly united? There was never any smaller football clubs that merged together.

What gets me about the DC United name is what was exactly united? There was never any smaller football clubs that merged together.

Utilizing the word "United" in a soccer team name doesn't necessarily indicate that two separate entities came together to form the club.

For instance, Manchester United isn't the amalgamation of two separate clubs. Rather, one of the team's owners - J. H. Davies - simply changed the cub's name from Newton Heath (L & YR) FC to Manchester United FC. The club's original name was a nod to the fact that it was a team comprised of employees of the Lancashire and York Railway's Newton Heath Depot.

DC United pays homage to the fact that Washington DC is the seat of government for the United States of America.

What's wrong with either of these two colour schemes?

dcunitedrwb.pngdcunitedgbw.png

Let's see...

#1. Chicago Fire...NO.

#2. Eh it's ok but it doesn't say DC.

I really don't care about what it resembles or if its PC or not. To me it says DC and that's all that matters to me.

Archived