Youngstown, OH af2...

Reportedly, a press conference announcing the arrival of Youngstown, Ohio's new af2 franchise will be held on Monday, May 15th. The franchise, which is expected to be named the Mahoning Valley Thunder, will play at the Chevrolet Centre. It is rumored that the team's logo and colors will be unveiled at the press conference, as well.

Ceremony for the death of the franchise is scheduled for some time in 2008.

And I pre-emptively call the owners fools now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ceremony for the death of the franchise is scheduled for some time in 2008.

And I pre-emptively call the owners fools now.

Amen! I work right down the road from that place and it only holds like 5000 people and there is absolutely NO parking and NO attendance for the Steelhounds. Once in a while, you'll get a decent concert, but like you said...this team will be gone in a year or so.

KISSwall09.jpg

isn't Youngstown slated to get a team in another indoor football league(possibly NIFL?).

Yeah, but that team is supposed to be in a new league that will most likely never see the light of day (beyond questionable ownership)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

wow sweet sig hormone, are those real life inspirations for south park?

Thanks, it was from an ep in the latest season called Free Willzyx. Police were looking for the boys and they were showing police sketches to the neighborhood.

KISSwall09.jpg

Oddly enough, the Mahoning Valley Hitmen site has been updated, with uniforms and even sponsors. Supposedly, this team had already given up the ghost. It's debatable whether or not the area can support one team- but it certainly can't support two.

The hot rumor is that the arena is in $$ trouble. I teach at a school down the street and we took the kids on a tour and the tour guide was telling 4th and 5th graders over and over that it's a false rumor. I thought it was odd telling such young kids that. I think they are trying to cover their tracks. They sell Steelhound tix for like $3 and down the road the Scrappers (minor league baseball) prices are the same and they still get like only 1000 people a night. I would say that any team there is a losing situation.

KISSwall09.jpg

The local NYPL team goes by "Mahoning Valley" too. People in the suburbs like to forget they live near Youngstown. In fairness, though, the so-called "Mahoning Valley" is a pretty big area, covering about 3 counties in Ohio and a couple in western Pennsylvania, too- so it does give them a broader appeal.

Yeah, Mahoning Valley is tossed around the area like "Chicagoland" or "Tri-State Area" is in other places.

But it's hard to forget you live near Youngstown. Having grown up there, I still know I'm in its vicinity the minute I cross the Ohio-Pennsylvania border. The roads go to :censored:, the landscape changes... its like you stepped off into a Twilight Zone episode in some respects.

nav-logo.png

Archived