Fox to Baseball: We Will Walk

marlinfan

If Fox decides to drop MLB, neither ABC nor NBC will get the package, it will move exclusively(except for the World Series) to ESPN. Why? Dual revenue streams. ESPN gets suscriber fees and ad revenue while the terrestrial networks can only collect ad revenue. Face it guys, ALL SPORTS except football are becoming more irrelevant by the day simply by moving more and more of their games to cable.

The NFL(and to a certain extent, college football and NASCAR) is smart enough to know that the key to big profits is through broad appeal, not niche segments. And they do this by ensuring that every game is available somewhere on an over-the-air station. Do the other leagues do this? NO. They figure that cable is the only way to go, so they move, but in doing so they effectively knock out scores of potential viewers, who by choice, financial cost savings or religious grounds choose not to have cable or satellite. For these folks, moving the sport to ESPN is equal to stealing. Thus baseball is about to fall into the same trap as hockey and basketball, and their popularity will suffer greatly.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Fox always shows basically 4 teams. New York Mets, Boston New York Yankees, and Chigaco. Bsaically if they drop it would be no problem for me cus i never get to see other teams and the only way i am going to see the Blue Jays on fox, is if they make it to the world series.

4kv29i.jpg

Al Michales and Bob Coastas

That would garantee that I would NEVER watch. MLB, please, please do not go to NBC.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

If Fox decides to drop MLB, neither ABC nor NBC will get the package, it will move exclusively(except for the World Series) to ESPN. Why? Dual revenue streams. ESPN gets suscriber fees and ad revenue while the terrestrial networks can only collect ad revenue. Face it guys, ALL SPORTS except football are becoming more irrelevant by the day simply by moving more and more of their games to cable.

The NFL(and to a certain extent, college football and NASCAR) is smart enough to know that the key to big profits is through broad appeal, not niche segments. And they do this by ensuring that every game is available somewhere on an over-the-air station. Do the other leagues do this? NO. They figure that cable is the only way to go, so they move, but in doing so they effectively knock out scores of potential viewers, who by choice, financial cost savings or religious grounds choose not to have cable or satellite. For these folks, moving the sport to ESPN is equal to stealing. Thus baseball is about to fall into the same trap as hockey and basketball, and their popularity will suffer greatly.

The problem with your statement is that the NFL is trying to move to cable themselves. MNF on ESPN, the NFL Network. The truth is that the NFL can stay on mainly on the networks because they only play more or less on Sunday afternoons, a time that otherwise fulled by the local stations by infomericals and reruns. The NBA, NHL, and MLB because of their larger schedule have to go to cable, which by its nature, allow for as many of their game televised as possible.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

The problem with your statement is that the NFL is trying to move to cable themselves. MNF on ESPN, the NFL Network. The truth is that the NFL can stay on mainly on the networks because they only play more or less on Sunday afternoons, a time that otherwise fulled by the local stations by infomericals and reruns. The NBA, NHL, and MLB because of their larger schedule have to go to cable, which by its nature, allow for as many of their game televised as possible.

But do you see the NBA, NHL and MLB allow for local over-the-air stations to pickup feeds from cable networks? The answer is of course, no. The NFL is correct to allow over-the-air stations in the markets of the competing teams to pickup ESPN's and NFLN's feeds for games. Trust me, the day MLB becomes a cable only sport(in a national sense), it becomes a niche sport and suspectible to being beaten by poker.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

MLB sees this as the carrot that might just be the key to solving the Comcast/MASN dispute.

Versus (owned by Comcast) gets the Thursday package if it makes nice with MASN (either by agreeing to carry the channel or by entering into some sort of 'merger')

good point B)

This could indirectly help the NHL

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

ESPN will be the loser if they let them go to VS. ESPN got its true legitimacy in 1990 when they got MLB. They lose that what are they gonna show World Series of Poker Every Day.

The WSoP is no worse than what they show now:

Red Sox vs Yankees

Yankees vs Red Sox

Red Sox vs whoever they are playing except the Yankees

Yankees vs whoever they are playing except the Red Sox

I am glad that they are loosing every dime that they have so far.

I wish that somebody in the sports media would realize that the world does not revolve around the Red Sox and the Yankees games.

Sometimes, I would rather just see a Tigers-Rangers game.

Arent the Red SOx and Yankees the only 2 teams in MLB?

I hope NBC gets the package Al Michales and Bob Coastas will be awesome, and having thiose two legends I think they poised for it. After losing the NBA, NBC coudl relally become a giant again with teh NFL and MLB on NBC. Also keep in mind they are dropping the NASCAR its going to ABC/ESPN i believe next year.

and the NHL which the currently have

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Why do people hate Costas and Michaels I always thought they were good

AGREED. I have no problem with both Al Michaels and Bob Costas, I very much enjoy listening to the two and they would be perfect together.

Archived