Fox to Baseball: We Will Walk

marlinfan

Buddy of mines sent me a link so I thought I'd share:

Fox to Baseball: We Will Walk

By John M. Higgins -- Broadcasting & Cable, 5/10/2006 5:04:00 PM

After years of red ink on pro sports deals, News Corp. President Peter Chernin says Fox Broadcasting will not renew its deal with Major League Baseball unless it breaks even or see some profit from the deal.

Speaking during News Corp.?s quarterly earnings call, Chernin said that Fox has a "very straightforward view" of baseball. "We have enjoyed our relationship with them and are more than happy to renew, if we can make money on the contract. We are not prepared to sign a deal that loses money and we are prepared to walk away," Chernin says.

Sports has long been a loss leader for TV networks, which pay up then often bleed hundreds of millions of dollars. Fox itself has lost $200 million over the term of its current six-year, $2.6 billion baseball deal, which expires after the 2006 season.

Fox has the right to negotiate exclusively with the league until Dec. 31, 2005, but couldn?t come to terms. The league has been courting other networks, such as ESPN and NBC, whose ratings plunge has awakened a new willingness to pay up for pro football at a stiff loss.

During the call, News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch added that he has no intereest in the ongoing auction of Spanish-language broadcaster Unvision.

FCC rules prohibit News Corp. from adding more stations in its local markets, but more importantly Murdoch says that he consider?s Univsion CEO and controlling shareholder Jerry Perrenchio a friend and smart seller. "So I don?t spring to attention when he?s putting something on the market."

Fox?s strong ratings success this season is masked a bit by its financial results.

For the third quarter ended March, revenues at the Fox network fell 5% to $1.3 billion, but that?s because Fox carried the Super Bowl last year,but not this year. Operating income increased 29% to $289 million.

The network has a stronger schedule than at any point in years, with an unusually large number of shows returning and solid numbers from its Sunday night adult cartoons and drama Prison Break, strong showings from dramas House and 24, and stellar ratings from franchise player American Idol. Chernin says Fox heads into the upfront ad season "in the most competitive position we've ever been in."

Fox?s cable networks soared, with revenue jumping 33% to $839 million and operating income zooming 23% to $211 million.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/C...y=Breaking+News

It's time for MLB to move on and go to NBC or ABC. Fox's coverage and excessive use of sound effects, Tim McCarver, excessive promos and Ken Rosenthal have damaged the baseball watching experience. If NBC were to get MLB their coverage would be unmatched (see: Olympics coverage).

1997 | 2003

I think MLB should bring back NBC and ABC but not with the exclusivity of they had in 1994-1995. They made money with The Baseball Network but the regionalization didn't work.

For the primetime regular season telecasts....have ABC/NBC (depending on who has it that night) telecast 1 game in primetime on ABC/NBC for the eastern part of the country with ESPN airing it out west and 1 game in primetime on ABC/NBC for the western part of the country with ESPN airing it out east. You have a national, primetime telecast of 2 games that night....just an idea. Digital multicasting will make this a non-issue possibly though and NBC/ABC affilaites could carry both games...just one HD though.

Example:

1. WNBC/WABC and all NBC/ABC affiliates in the Eastern/Central time zones have a Chicago White Sox-New York Yankees game starting at 8PM ET. ESPN in Montain/Pacific has the same game.

2. KNBC/KABC and all NBC/ABC affiliates in the Montain/Pacific time zones have a San Francisco Giants-Los Angeles Dodgers game starting at 8PM PT. ESPN in Eastern/Central has the same game.

As for the Division Series...put it all on ESPN nationally with a local affiliate in each team's city airing the game as they do now.

Have one network do the NLCS while the other does the ALCS, they alternate annually. They could split these series between them like they did in 1995, but it would be more confusing.

One network does the All Star Game while the other does the World Series, they alternate annually. They could split this series between them like they did in 1995, but it would be more confusing.

I hear OLN might be bidding for the rights to Thursday Night Baseball.

My bad, Versus, not OLN. <_<

Yes and I believe that package includes the Division Series. Although I could be wrong about that.

As for McCarver he will probably go to the new network if FOX walks. Afterall he was with ABC when they had rights then he moved to CBS then the Baseball network and finally to FOX.

ESPN will be teh loser if they let them go to VS. ESPN got its true legitimacy in 1990 when they got MLB. They lose that what are they gonna show World Series of Poker Every Day. Versus would explode and would become a viable rival to ESPN with MLB.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

MLB are idiots if they even consider going to OLN/Versus.

MLB sees this as the carrot that might just be the key to solving the Comcast/MASN dispute.

Versus (owned by Comcast) gets the Thursday package if it makes nice with MASN (either by agreeing to carry the channel or by entering into some sort of 'merger')

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

MLB sees this as the carrot that might just be the key to solving the Comcast/MASN dispute.

Versus (owned by Comcast) gets the Thursday package if it makes nice with MASN (either by agreeing to carry the channel or by entering into some sort of 'merger')

good point B)

Since already so long time that Fox Sports didn't broadcast baseball for Latin America.

So I'm watching baseball only by ESPN. <_<

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

ESPN will be the loser if they let them go to VS. ESPN got its true legitimacy in 1990 when they got MLB. They lose that what are they gonna show World Series of Poker Every Day.

The WSoP is no worse than what they show now:

Red Sox vs Yankees

Yankees vs Red Sox

Red Sox vs whoever they are playing except the Yankees

Yankees vs whoever they are playing except the Red Sox

I am glad that they are loosing every dime that they have so far.

I wish that somebody in the sports media would realize that the world does not revolve around the Red Sox and the Yankees games.

Sometimes, I would rather just see a Tigers-Rangers game.

ESPN will be the loser if they let them go to VS. ESPN got its true legitimacy in 1990 when they got MLB. They lose that what are they gonna show World Series of Poker Every Day.

The WSoP is no worse than what they show now:

Red Sox vs Yankees

Yankees vs Red Sox

Red Sox vs whoever they are playing except the Yankees

Yankees vs whoever they are playing except the Red Sox

I am glad that they are loosing every dime that they have so far.

I wish that somebody in the sports media would realize that the world does not revolve around the Red Sox and the Yankees games.

Sometimes, I would rather just see a Tigers-Rangers game.

Arent the Red SOx and Yankees the only 2 teams in MLB?

I hope NBC gets the package Al Michales and Bob Coastas will be awesome, and having thiose two legends I think they poised for it. After losing the NBA, NBC coudl relally become a giant again with teh NFL and MLB on NBC. Also keep in mind they are dropping the NASCAR its going to ABC/ESPN i believe next year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

maybe Fox is dropping MLB to make room for year round American Idol and its bastard offspring?

its a sad day when a singing competition is out drawing the national past time.

.... that singing competition, I think, outdrew the presidential election.... :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

maybe Fox is dropping MLB to make room for year round American Idol and its bastard offspring? 

its a sad day when a singing competition is out drawing the national past time.

.... that singing competition, I think, outdrew the presidential election.... :blink:

Well I don;t know the exact vote toatls for each but I do know for American Idol you can vote as amny times as you like and some people vote like 10 times. For the Presidential Election you can only vote 1 time. I seriously doubt more people actually voted in the AI contest than president. The numbers are very misleading.

Archived