Red 1970-1974 Houston Astros Hat

BamaHater

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No offense, Pantone has NEVER broken any new logos. He only posted them once they were already widely available.

Wow. You're really going to make this personal?

He can't break new logos, sparky. To do so would violate the deal he has with the Leagues, and then we'd lose the source of information that we have.

He's given evidence to support his position. Where's your "proof?"

Believe whatever you want but

this

Astros red

and this

astros orange

are two different colors.

I also find it odd that Okkonen's book has the "darker orange" consistent with the same years New Era is selling the cap, and the same years photo evidence makes it seem like the orange changed. That's three references that point to some form of change. Sure New Era has made mistakes, sure Okkonen colored with markers, sure photos can lie. But they all match up 1971-1974 as a darker orange. Doesn't that seem a tad suspicious.

Good Lord - that's your proof?

I guess you can believe whatever YOU want.

:rolleyes:

I post three points of proof that match up,

you have a phone call and a reputation.

Any proof I post automatically gets shot down as 1. Bad photos, 2. Bad coloring

3. Unreliable New Era 4. That's not what Joe told me

I didn't design the uni's and I really don't care either way what it is, but prove my proof wrong by finding a photo from 1972 where the orange is the same as a photo from 1977. It's not possible that EVERY photo from 1972 has the coloring is "off"

Where did Pantone say that they were the same shade of orange? Why can't you just be satisfied with the fact the Astors switched to a lighter shade of orange when they went to the rainbow uniforms?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The caption says 1975, so it doesnt answer all the questions like pantone just did, but it sure is a nice photo:

1975 Astros

For griffin128,

Since you like the photographic evidence, regardless of what the caption said for this photo... the uniform is from 1972-74 and clearly shows an orange cap... check the link.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Whatever, Your Mom's Box.

WTF???

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

when I posted baseball cards I was told photos are not reliable, when someone else posts a photos, it's

fact.

Well, you're certainly an adult about this.

You kept showing your photo evidence that emphasizes your point.

Along with comments from an expert in the field, I found photo evidence from the same era that emphasizes the contrary.

And all you can say is "your mom's box".

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

when I posted baseball cards I was told photos are not reliable, when someone else posts a photos, it's

fact.

Pantone showed you numerous amounts of game worn merchandise, as well as a media guide that proudly proclaims the team as being "ORANGE!", he also showed you the colour swatches from that era, not only that but members also provided information about the material used to create the caps and how they tended to darken (and provided an example of another team having this problem -- the phillies)

All of that still wasn't enough for you because you found a baseball card that showed red. So we found you baseball cards that showed orange... and other photos that showed orange.

Which of course, led to this.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Hey sorry to cause all the fighting. Well I just emailed the Housotn Astros to see if they could shed any light on the situation. Just to clear up what I was saying, the hat I have is defenitely Houston Astros Red a color they used at that time period if you look at the road uniforms during that time the hat looks a liitle darker thatn than the home one. The hat in the Distant Replays picture is where the problem lies. From that picture and other ones such a baseball cards and photos of the era, you can't tell what color the hat is. It looks darker orange-red color. I will post a picture I took of my hat to show exactly what the color is.

Wow... this has all been rather interesting. It brings to mind three points:

ONE... we generally give Pantone the benefit of the doubt, not because we believe he is infallable, but because he has a well deserved reputation, lots of connections, and states his case in a reasonable and careful way (as opposed to saying something about... I duuno... moms maybe).

TWO... the Astros looked great back in the early 70's (and I have to admit a certain fondness for the rainbows... those outrageuos eyesores are what got me interested in sports uniforms). They need to return to their TRUE colors YESTERDAY!!

and THREE... zippers on the jersey?? and stars on the SOX!!??? AWESOME!!

Archived