ECHL's San Diego Gulls cease operations

IronChefShark

Gulls cease operations

turns out I was at one of thier last games, when they lost to the Thunder in Stockton 4-2 back on April 8th.

this kinda surprises me, as I always thought the Gulls did pretty well at the gate. Now that leaves only three other in-state rivals for the Thunder, and perhaps leaves an opening for Reno to get an ECHL team.

They were quite successful. It was ownership problems & loisng their affiliate to the Arizona Sundogs of the CHL & the possiblity of the San Diego Sports Arena being replaced. This was a hard hit, people love the gulls. But I expect, this is not the last we will hear of San Diego hockey.

baltimoreravens.png

This is a really sad state of affairs for San Diego Hockey. The Gulls have been one of the more traditional and well played minor league hockey franchises.

Basically the owner decides after 10 years that the time has come to go in a different direction and because the cost of operations in San Diego is so high, the league couldn't find anyone willing to buy the team and the league wasn't willing (or able) to operate the team on its own until an owner could be found.

The team will be back. It's just a matter of how long will we have to wait for that to happen. If we could find an owner and sign on with the USHL or something that would be terrific. Until then, I'll go up to Long Beach and watch the former IHL San Diego Gulls, now known as the ECHL's Long Beach Ice Dogs.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

ECHL UPDATE!!!

Yeah its too bad for San Diego. However supposedly Ontario california is supposed to be building an arena to house an ECHL team and as for Reno, well they have been having problems. The Reno Raiders were supposed to begin play in 2007 however with arena issues it is looking more toward a 2008 start. Bloomington Vermont is listed as "Awaiting Arena Project". Myrtle Beach is building a new arena to have the former Pee Dee Pride play in 2007(I think) and Bradenton/Sarasota florida was supposed to have the Gulf Coast Swords begin in 2006 however workers walked off the job of building the arena and the ECHL says if they dont fix the problem soon they will revoke membership to the league. The Mississippi Sea Wolves will spend a second year on hiatus, the arena is still not fully repaired and renovated after Hurricane Katrina and will return in 2007. The Greenville Grrrowl kind of folded but they will play at least one more year, thanks to their arena helping out financially.Finally The Texas Wildcaters and the Cincinnati Cyclones will return to action after being on hiatus. Idaho and Pensacola have new logos

Okay I think Ive got it all

Signature intentionally left blank

Would the Ducks be willing to move to San Diego?

Sounds like the city supports hockey pretty well, and they'd be able to emerge from the Kings' shadow.....

Now that you metion it. When I lived in CHULA VISTA for 4 years, It was really a Ducktown and they would show the game on WB69. They could play at COX Arena till they open a new arena.

Back in 2002, A group led by John Moore abd Sea World came close of saving the Buffalo Sabres from folding and attemting to move the team to San Diego. If that would of happen, The city of San Diego would of support the Sabres strongly. Hell, they averaged 7500 for the Gulls and I should know because I used to be a season ticket holder. :hockeysmiley:

Allgedly, the new Myrtle Beach Team name is Thunderboltz, after the old air force base.

Here's an "alleged" logo

echlthunderboltz5sh.gif

That has actually been around since before Pee Dee even thought of moving to Myrtle Beach. Im really not sure if they will take on the roll of the expansion attempted Thunderboltz or if they will come up with their own identity.

Would the Ducks be willing to move to San Diego?

Sounds like the city supports hockey pretty well, and they'd be able to emerge from the Kings' shadow.....

Might work, except that the only 2 arenas down there are on a college campus with no ice, or 40 years old with an attendance of only 12,000.

VmWIn6B.png

This is a really sad state of affairs for San Diego Hockey. The Gulls have been one of the more traditional and well played minor league hockey franchises.

Basically the owner decides after 10 years that the time has come to go in a different direction and because the cost of operations in San Diego is so high, the league couldn't find anyone willing to buy the team and the league wasn't willing (or able) to operate the team on its own until an owner could be found.

The team will be back. It's just a matter of how long will we have to wait for that to happen. If we could find an owner and sign on with the USHL or something that would be terrific. Until then, I'll go up to Long Beach and watch the former IHL San Diego Gulls, now known as the ECHL's Long Beach Ice Dogs.

Oh I dont know CZZYZX41. I heard rumor that the Ice Dogs may also fold due to ownership problems as well. It's a sad day in hockey if we ended up losing the old Gulls and the new Gulls in the same year. :cry:

On a personal note c, I was at CVH from 1994-1996 B) before I was forced to move back to that hellhole known as Los Angeles. :cursing:

Oh I dont know CZZYZX41. I heard rumor that the Ice Dogs may also fold due to ownership problems as well. It's a sad day in hockey if we ended up losing the old Gulls and the new Gulls in the same year. :cry:

On a personal note c, I was at CVH from 1994-1996 B) before I was forced to move back to that hellhole known as Los Angeles. :cursing:

The Ice Dogs new ownership is in trouble already?

Oh, man, it'd be a shame to see the Ice Dogs fall in short succession after the Gulls. Any time one of the names from the late, great IHL falls by the wayside, it gives me some sadness. Plus, the Ice Dogs wore what is probably the 2nd-greatest minor league hockey uniform of the '90s, just slightly behind the Houston Aeros.

Say it ain't so, Long Beach. And come back soon, San Diego.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

WTF?! Dark Angel you were at CVH from 94-96? I was there 93-96 and graduated in 96. I think this could be the first time I have met a fellow Spartan on any message board, let alone one that went there the same time I did.

Sad to hear about the Ice Dogs. Those old Gulls (well, early 90s, not the 60s version) were the team that really got me into Hockey. I really don't see hope for an NHL franchise unless they're willing to rennovate or rebuild an NHL-standard arena. Problem is, I also REALLY love the Sports Arena and if our city is willing to risk the Chargers leaving, they're not going to build an arena for a hockey franchise. Suck. Well, guess I might have to look into this proposed Ontario team.

-Daniel

WTF?! Dark Angel you were at CVH from 94-96? I was there 93-96 and graduated in 96. I think this could be the first time I have met a fellow Spartan on any message board, let alone one that went there the same time I did.

Sad to hear about the Ice Dogs. Those old Gulls (well, early 90s, not the 60s version) were the team that really got me into Hockey. I really don't see hope for an NHL franchise unless they're willing to rennovate or rebuild an NHL-standard arena. Problem is, I also REALLY love the Sports Arena and if our city is willing to risk the Chargers leaving, they're not going to build an arena for a hockey franchise. Suck. Well, guess I might have to look into this proposed Ontario team.

You know C, you may be right. Now I wonder that if we met or we were in the same classroom. B) Chula Vista High was a much, much, much better than that crappy, conceited, sarcastic teacher dump know as Bell High.

It was those Gulls that also made me a fan of hockey. I rember that during homework, that I would put on KOGO 600 to hear the game or on XTRA 690 to hear the Kings. Also, Sportscaster like Rob Stone and Jim Laslavick(KNSD 39), Rod Luck(KUSI 51), Ted Leitner and Rick Power(KFMB 8) etc. would show Gulls highlight and talk about the game. Sad to say that in LA, they dont show or even metion the Ice Dogs. The city of San Diego really loves the Gulls and if the Sabres had moved to San Diego, I'd guaranteed that the city of San Diego would show the same passion for the Sabres like thay the Gulls. :hockeysmiley:

On a personal note C, I hope that we could meet and talk one day. And if not than maybe that we could exchange Email so we could talk about Hockey and stuff.

Peace out freind. (bow)

I agree. Soccer and baseball are my biggest loves but football and hockey are right there, and as long as the Gulls have existed I've loved them over any NHL franchise. Now I'm just hoping they come back soon.

As for high school who knows. As with all high schools, it'd have all depended on what groups we hung with. If you have a yearbook, look up Class of 96 and I'll be at the end and the long-haired white guy that isn't Levi.

Anyways, if you're interested and the Ice Dogs are around this coming season perhaps we could see a game in Long Beach.

-Daniel

I agree. Soccer and baseball are my biggest loves but football and hockey are right there, and as long as the Gulls have existed I've loved them over any NHL franchise. Now I'm just hoping they come back soon.

As for high school who knows. As with all high schools, it'd have all depended on what groups we hung with. If you have a yearbook, look up Class of 96 and I'll be at the end and the long-haired white guy that isn't Levi.

Anyways, if you're interested and the Ice Dogs are around this coming season perhaps we could see a game in Long Beach.

Thank you czzyzx41, I'll look foward to it.

Maybe next year i'll break my 10 years curse and move back to Chula Vista like I been dreaming since 1996. And who knows, maybe will be neighbor and good friends. :rolleyes:

Archived