Serie A punishments

zjac7

The contracts of the players on the three demoted teams are no longer valid, making them free agents.

Wow. Ain't that a bitch!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Hell, the one-year-old Australian league is a better choice.

No it's not. At least not compared to MLS. There's even less money to be had in Australia - a one-year-old league - than the US and MLS - which is now in its 11th season IIRC. I could possibly see Red Bull NY trying to go after *a* star (Alessandro del Piero? nah, he's been with Juve too long to leave over this, but somebody of his age) because they've certainly got the money to burn.

The point here, is that the only players MLS are likely to attract are ageing vets. Which is great for MLS. Any star power is welcome. But it would be assinine for a player from one of these relegated teams, who happens to be in their prime, to even look across the Atlantic.

Bull. If the owners and coaches or whatever were doing these things, how can we possibly believe the players were completely innocent? Don't bring those criminals to this country. The ruling which voided their contracts should also have forced them to never play for more than a prescribed amount (500,000 Euro or whatever annually)

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

The contracts of the players on the three demoted teams are no longer valid, making them free agents.

Wow. Ain't that a bitch!

How much would Buffon or Cannavaro be worth now in transfers after the World Cup? Tough luck, Juve.

It's certainly good for the players, although the market may be flooded with stars. Chelsea and Real Madrid can buy only so many players.

Bull. If the owners and coaches or whatever were doing these things, how can we possibly believe the players were completely innocent? Don't bring those criminals to this country. The ruling which voided their contracts should also have forced them to never play for more than a prescribed amount (500,000 Euro or whatever annually)

because none of the players have been legally implicated yet. Cannavaro, Buffon and (I believe) del Piero from Juventus were called in to a hearing between the club season and the World Cup, and nothing has come out of it - no players charged as of yet. What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? If the court only finds that the teams' upper-offices were the only ones involved, why stigmatise them as "criminals"?

del Piero has said he'll stay with Juve, he's apparently trying all he can to keep most of them there for the Serie B "adventure." Rumors are that Luca Toni will be headed to Inter; I wonder how many players will actually stay with their current teams.

and my mistake, Milan is staying up in Serie A but are still starting the season 15 points in the hole. They're hopeful that Empoli's lack of a UEFA license - and their being, now adjusted, one-point behind in the 'final' standings - leads them into the UEFA cup. Not likely.

In any case, the teams have until Monday to fully appeal, and the final decision will be shortly afterwards because the Italian league need to tell UEFA who will represent them in each competition.

harperdc.gif

Juve is in serious trouble. Subtract 30 points from the winner of Serie B and you have a relegated club.

I suspect that was just a way of bumping Juve down to Serie C by default, without actually doing it.

They don't have a large ticket base, relying on sponsors and television contracts to keep them in the elite. If those dry up (and it seems likely), then they might drop even further.

Juventus facing 'financial meltdown', fears expert

'Around 80% of Juventus' revenue is from sponsorship and television rights deals, and I would expect the vast majority of that to disappear,' believes Stuart Whitwell, a joint managing director of brand consultancy Intangible Business.

'There is a triple-hit really. Juventus can expect a loss of at least 50% of its income overnight. Under the circumstances sponsors could drop out, and I expect many to do so.

'There will also be a major loss of players, and thirdly the image of the club is tarnished.

'Unless there is private investment from the Agnelli family (who own the club) or another source, Juventus will go out of business.

'They could suffer financial meltdown.

'I think Juventus will need private investments of around 125million euros (£86million) a year for perhaps the next two or three years to keep going.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the peanlties are now less severe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/5215178.stm

JUVENTUS

Were relegated with 30-point penalty; now still in Serie B but with 17-point deduction and three-match stadium ban

AC MILAN

Were allowed to stay in Serie A but with 15-point penalty; now just eight-point deduction and back in Champions League. One-match stadium ban

LAZIO

Were relegated with seven-point penalty; now back in Serie A with 11-point deduction. Two-match stadium ban

FIORENTINA

Were relegated with 12-point penalty; now back in Serie A with 19-point deduction. Three-match stadium ban

I saw, I came, I left.

How much would Buffon or Cannavaro be worth now in transfers after the World Cup?

I read in SI that Arsenal was interested in Buffon, I hope we get him.

Juve got screwed but they deserved it. They were being stupid.

I feel sorry for the fans, thats like the Yankees losing eveyone and going to play in double-A. Ouch.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I read in SI that Arsenal was interested in Buffon, I hope we get him.

Buffon, Mauro Camaronesi, Allessandro Del Piero, Pavel Nedved, and David Trezeguet have all committed to stay with Juventus despite their relegation.

Archived