Buffalo Rapids (ABA) Change Name

MC Buffalo

I know most of you laugh at the mere thought of the ABA, but hey a new logo is a new logo....

The Buffalo Rapids have changed their name (and of course logo) for the upcoming season. They are now the Buffalo Silverbacks.

Here is the old logo and the new one right below it.

rapids.gif

silverbacks.jpg

The old was was pretty boring, but looked professional at least. This new one looks like it was drawn in a high school art class. Although the copy I found was from a local newspapers website so it may have lost some of it's clarity. Although on the website it doesn't look much better

http://www.buffalorapids.com (this will redirect you)

I noticed this a few weeks back, and I could not BELIEVE that it was real. I mean, the name change, sure, whatever... but if that's really the logo... man, what a joke!

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

One of the very few decent logos left in the ABA is gone. Where did they get that ugly thing? Did the owners eat at Applebee's and find it drawn with crayons on the back of a kid's menu?

I posted a thread about this a few weeks back.

The new owners had to pick a new name because the original owner still owned the rights to the name "Buffalo Rapids".

If anyone finds a pic of the new jerseys, take a look. I did the lettering. :D

Wow, I feel sorry for their fans. Anyways the local ABA team here played too well, got a big head and is jumping to the CBA. If only the dude would respond to my email discussing getting a better logo.

not to be racist or anything but is it really the best idea to call a bunch of black guys "gorillas"?

since its b-ball, i'm assuming theyre black.

I might have worded that a little more delicately, but yes, I had a similar question in my head.

Could one conceivably call an American basketball team the Monkeys? The Apes? The Chimps? While the last in that list is more funny than anything else, I'm not exactly comfortable with the easy stereotypes that come from this name.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

not to be racist or anything but is it really the best idea to call a bunch of black guys "gorillas"?

I might have worded that a little more delicately, but yes, I had a similar question in my head.

Could one conceivably call an American basketball team the Monkeys? The Apes? The Chimps? While the last in that list is more funny than anything else, I'm not exactly comfortable with the easy stereotypes that come from this name.

They have blacks playing basketball now?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

They have blacks playing basketball now?

Yes. Even on the Celtics now.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The new name is getting criticism from local black leaders.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060805/1042519.asp

The critics also did not like the logo, which shows an intense, red-skinned gorilla pointing at the viewer. "I did find it offensive. It looked like an angry black man," said Eva M. Doyle, a columnist for the Buffalo Criterion newspaper. "I think it's offensive to people who are looking at it from a historical perspective."

The new name is getting criticism from local black leaders.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060805/1042519.asp

The critics also did not like the logo, which shows an intense, red-skinned gorilla pointing at the viewer. "I did find it offensive. It looked like an angry black man," said Eva M. Doyle, a columnist for the Buffalo Criterion newspaper. "I think it's offensive to people who are looking at it from a historical perspective."

It's funny that they say they see an angry black man in the logo. I really only see an angry red gorilla. People are offended way too easy nowadays.

WTF???!!! From a logo with class to a logo that looks like ass!

why Silverbacks??

Put this in the "worst downgrade" ever category at the top of the list. I think steroid-ape could

be a contender for knocking the Canton Ice Patrol calvin and hobbes rip off out of the stop spot.

I am offended by this logo. Not because I think it looks like a black man (which it doesn't)

but because it's a disgrace to graphic designers and the city of buffalo. first the slug, now this.

Hey owners in Buffalo, you have talented professional graphic designers who happen to be ex-WNYers' right here on the board, call us we'd happy to do something for you.

Archived