Underused Team Names

southpawstu19

Just referring to Icecaps comment about Sharks in NY waters, 100% incorrect.  There are Tons of sharks inthe Northeast, very large mako populations.

worcester_sharks.gif

AHL team from Worcester Massachusetts.

Who also happen to be the AHL affiliate of the San Jose Sharks. Many minor league teams use the same nickname with a different logo as their major league affiliate, especially in the AHL. Examples:

Binghamton Rangers (defunct)/New York Rangers

St. John's Maple Leafs (defunct)/Toronto Maple Leafs

Frederiction Canadiens (defunct)/Montreal Canadiens

Current:

Worchester Sharks/San Jose Sharks

Iowa Stars/Dallas Stars

I agree with whomever said the nickname should represent the city. Great examples of this:

Houston Rockets/Astros

Colorado Rockies/Rapids

New York Islanders

Detroit Pistons

Vermont Frost Heaves (yes, an ABA team with a good nickname)

stoneraizersig.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the Texas Rangers, I believe they were honoring their state police.

That is correct.

Betch'a didn't know...

The Texas Rangers were also reportedly going to be the name of an expansion football team, but its owner decided at nearly the last minute to go with another name instead - after the team's helmet logo, depicting their famous silver star badges, had reached a "point of no return."

The team is now known as the Dallas Cowboys.

nav-logo.png

My high school's sports teams were called the "Marauders," which I think is underused. It could especially work in a city starting with M, like Memphis or Milwaukee.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

My alma mater is considering a name change, having been caught under the NCAA's guidelines against native American names (Indiana University of Pennsylvania apparently couldn't make the case for keeping "Indians").

They're unofficially considering a bunch of alternatives, but frankly, they all suck: Crimson Thunder, Crimson Hawks, Wanderers, etc. Coming up with a name that works today is one thing, but coming up with one that people will relate to in 100 years is another. For example, who thinks "Toronto Raptors" is a name that works today? Yet back when the team was organized, everyone thought "Cool. Dinosaurs are "in," so that name'll work." And for a while, it did.

I remember the "vote" taken a few years ago, where the coices included "Fighting Squirrels", "Jumping Jimmies", and "Oaks."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My alma mater is considering a name change, having been caught under the NCAA's guidelines against native American names (Indiana University of Pennsylvania apparently couldn't make the case for keeping "Indians").

They're unofficially considering a bunch of alternatives, but frankly, they all suck:  Crimson Thunder, Crimson Hawks, Wanderers, etc.  Coming up with a name that works today is one thing, but coming up with one that people will relate to in 100 years is another.  For example, who thinks "Toronto Raptors" is a name that works today?  Yet back when the team was organized, everyone thought "Cool.  Dinosaurs are "in," so that name'll work."  And for a while, it did.

I remember the "vote" taken a few years ago, where the coices included "Fighting Squirrels", "Jumping Jimmies", and "Oaks."

Fighting Squirrels was one of those mentioned in the alumni magazine article I read about the expected change last week.

I'd like to see them go with "Crimson" or something non-descript. Fighting Squirrels would make them a joke, as would some of the other suggestions (WTF is Crimson Thunder?). Better yet, rename the university at the same time since so many people confuse it with Indiana University.

Howzabout the Western Pennsylvania University Wombats? :)

nav-logo.png

They're unofficially considering a bunch of alternatives, but frankly, they all suck:  Crimson Thunder, Crimson Hawks, Wanderers, etc.  Coming up with a name that works today is one thing, but coming up with one that people will relate to in 100 years is another.  For example, who thinks "Toronto Raptors" is a name that works today?  Yet back when the team was organized, everyone thought "Cool.  Dinosaurs are "in," so that name'll work."  And for a while, it did.

Fighting Squirrels was one of those mentioned in the alumni magazine article I read about the expected change last week.

I'd like to see them go with "Crimson" or something non-descript. Fighting Squirrels would make them a joke, as would some of the other suggestions (WTF is Crimson Thunder?). Better yet, rename the university at the same time since so many people confuse it with Indiana University.

Howzabout the Western Pennsylvania University Wombats? :)

I think a Jimmy Stewart connection is in order. I just couldn't think of one to suggest that didn't sound ludicrous. The Baileys?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

How about Bombers?  I've always liked the sound of it.  And you can come up with a great logo for it.

Haha. You'd think so, huh?

My college alma mater:

header_general.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

How about Bombers?  I've always liked the sound of it.  And you can come up with a great logo for it.

There are the Baltimore Bombers -- would-be NFL expansion team:

BaltimoreBombers93a.GIF

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

My high school's sports teams were called the "Marauders," which I think is underused. It could especially work in a city starting with M, like Memphis or Milwaukee.

Arena Football used to have the Massachusetts (Mass) Marauders:

MassachusettsMarauders.png

Works really well, especially with the double entendre. Too bad they only lasted for one season (1994).

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

The Hartford Wolf Pack are a little unique because they are named after the subs that are made in Groton and New London.

I always thought that name was supposed to be a dig at the city that took the Whalers away - since Raleigh stole the Whalers, so Hartford would symbolically steal the North Carolina State University teams.

CCSLC signature.png

I think a Jimmy Stewart connection is in order.  I just couldn't think of one to suggest that didn't sound ludicrous.  The Baileys?

:shocked:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NO JIMMY STEWART REFERENCES!

Dear God, no! That town is sicophantic (sp?) enough about that old bastard. Leave his sorry ass out of this.

nav-logo.png

The Hartford Wolf Pack are a little unique because they are named after the subs that are made in Groton and New London.

I always thought that name was supposed to be a dig at the city that took the Whalers away - since Raleigh stole the Whalers, so Hartford would symbolically steal the North Carolina State University teams.

(1) Raleigh didn't steal anything. Karmanos decided to move them here of his own free will.

(2) The way NC State's football team is expected to perform this year, there are some down here that think Hartford could have the university right about now... ^_^

nav-logo.png

I think a Jimmy Stewart connection is in order.  I just couldn't think of one to suggest that didn't sound ludicrous.  The Baileys?

:shocked:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NO JIMMY STEWART REFERENCES!

Dear God, no! That town is sicophantic (sp?) enough about that old bastard. Leave his sorry ass out of this.

:D

"sycophantic"

I also like using team names connected to the city/state, to a certain extent though. Sometimes you are left with a name that's kinda boring, like the Baltimore Orioles. Their current logo is just the plain bird with a blank stare on it's face.

yankeesbanner3xe5.jpg

Archived