Underused Team Names

southpawstu19

i do realize that there are teams that have names that are regionally comprehensive, but in general i feel that there just should be more names then what are used. im from south florida, and i see only one team in the whole state that has reference to the everglades as a team name and that is being the gators all the way north in gainsville

FLA_4qls5wrfr9f6hwluqlje.gif

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i do realize that there are teams that have names that are regionally comprehensive, but in general i feel that there just should be more names then what are used.  im from south florida, and i see only one team in the whole state that has reference to the everglades as a team name and that is being the gators all the way north in gainsville

FLA_4qls5wrfr9f6hwluqlje.gif

Is that a real team or a concept because that logo is so cool with it's laces on the gator's snout.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

Is that a real team or a concept because that logo is so cool with it's laces on the gator's snout.

Yup.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

To placate the apparent alum of the Railroad Tycoon's university, I think Commodores/Admirals and other nautical-related team names are under utilized.

Unless you're the AHL, then you find yourself in a unique situation where you have two teams with the same name in your league. ;)

Or the CFL where 2 out of 9 teams are Roughriders.. :flagcanada:

Speaking of CFL, I understand that Quebec-based teams have the language thing that makes them unique (distinct society, I believe they want to be called...) but even Locally, I have never seen any other Alouettes, nor Concordes for that matter.

The Junior Major Hockey Quebec Remparts is another great locally meanigful name.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Yeah the fact the whole thing is shaped like an ice skate makes it uber cool. I like it.

note that the name is ever-B-lades, not G-lades; cute little pun ain't it?

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

My three favorite nicknames come from Australia, the first two I think could be used for teams in the US, but the last one its probably unique to the history of said club.

Sydney%20Roosters%20Logo.jpg

The Sydney Roosters NRL team got their name because their Red, White, and Blue jumpers resembled that of the French national team, whose national symbol for all sports is the Rooster.

2006_AFL_Adelaide.jpg

The Adelaide Crows of the AFL. Not only is it a good logo, but the color combination is one that I've yet to see over here.

And then there's my favorite name of all time:

200px-Southslogo.jpg

The South Sydney Rabbitohs, affectionately known as the Bunnies. The team, who is partially owned by actor Russell Crowe, supposedly got its name from the players offseason jobs during the war -- catching and selling rabbits. They would shout, "Rabbit, oh!" while selling them on the streets of Sydney. They too use a rarely seen combo -- red-and-green.

philly.png

Monkeys and Gorillias I have felt might pose a problem due to the fact they can also be a negative reference to a race of people. We all remember Howard Cosell and his "look at that monkey go" comment. I just think some names are off limits for social reasons. Hell even the Reds reverted back to Red Legs in the 50's. I know many here will bring up all the Indian names, and with the exception of the Redskins I have felt the rest were honorific. As for the most unique that would be the Baltimore Orioles which is the only name of a team that is also a spicies.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Monkeys and Gorillias I have felt might pose a problem due to the fact they can also be a negative reference to a race of people. We all remember Howard Cosell and his "look at that monkey go" comment. I just think some names are off limits for social reasons. Hell even the Reds reverted back to Red Legs in the 50's. I know many here will bring up all the Indian names, and with the exception of the Redskins I have felt the rest were honorific. As for the most unique that would be the Baltimore Orioles which is the only name of a team that is also a spicies.

But wasn't Cosell referring to Art Monk?

Sydney%20Roosters%20Logo.jpg

That is a sweet logo, and one that shows how much you can do with even the most unlikely of team names. The only problem is that the color scheme and the font make it look to me like the KFC logo, assuming that the chickens murdered Col. Sanders and took over running the place. Still, this has an aggressive look that could even work for football.

2006_AFL_Adelaide.jpg

I don't know what crows look like in Australia -- they certainly have prettier crows in Europe than we have over here, so maybe Australia has blue crows -- but in the States crows are black. I'm pretty sure I would not be the only person bothered by a team called the crows whose main color was navy blue.

200px-Southslogo.jpg

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, has a long minor league baseball history, and two of the oldest team names in town are the Raiders and the Rabbits. I understand why there aren't any Roosters in MLB, but rabbits are famously fast. Your average rabbit is at least a one-tool player, which is more than you can say for, say, blue jays or cardinals.

20082614447.png

Hmm...interesting...learn something new every day.  Thanks.

Also, are the Kansas City Royals named for their shade of blue,as an homage to the Kansas City Monarchs, or something else entirely?

Hmm actually after looking around Sports ECyclopedia, I found this about the Royals:

Named the Royals after the American Royal Livestock Show, which has been held in Kansas City every year since 1899.

I learned something new too!

Me too.

I always thought that the Royals are from the mythic KC Monarchs.

There's a difference between "learning" and "hearing." I can definitely say I heard something I've never heard before with this story, but until I see better evidence than an unattributed reference on a website, I'm going to hold off on believing it. It's an interesting theory, though, and I'd love to see some evidence of it. What is the Sports Ecyclopedia's source for the information (and why does it not attribute)?

MLB itself has from time to time pointed to the naming of the Royals as a tribute to the Monarchs, and that's the story that circulated among the Royals fans in my Iowa hometown when I was a boy in the 1970s. None of which is evidence of anything -- MLB regularly just makes stuff up, and it's not like "my dad and his buddies at their Royals-affiliated radio station said so" is a footnotable citation.

20082614447.png

I don't think so, but there are supposedly instances of Cosell calling white players monkeys as well.

Has any team ever used the name "Silverbacks"?  I think it's a cool name, and think of the awesome gorilla images you could use in the logo....

some BC hockey team has that name.

actually that team is called the silvertips.

As for the most unique that would be the Baltimore Orioles which is the only name of a team that is also a spicies.

actually the orioles AAA afiliate the, ottawa lynx, use an actual species for a team name.

I don't think so, but there are supposedly instances of Cosell calling white players monkeys as well.

The best though was after that when Howard said something and Don Meredith replied, "Yeah, Howard, you old orangutan you." Classic.

Had to check the spelling on orangutan, that's a tricky one.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Some underused (if used at all) animal names:

Raccoons

Foxes

Kangaroos

Pandas

Polar bears

Koalas

Crows

Blackbirds

Cobras

Pythons

Dog breeds other than huskies and bulldogs

Zebras

Antelopes

Leopards

Crocodiles

Iguanas

Cheetahs

Elks

Whales

Pelicans

Cranes

Swans

Flamingos

Piranhas

Rhinos

Octopus

Squids

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

Some underused (if used at all) animal names:

Flamingos

Flamingos? Its not too difficult to understand why not too many teams use the name flamingos.

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

At one time in the NFL there were teams call the...New York...

Technically the team that was the football New York Yankees is today known as the Indianapolis Colts.

Actually, they're not. That franchise was forfeited to the league. The Indy Colts were awarded to Baltimore, as a new franchise, for 1953 if I'm not mistaken.

nav-logo.png

Archived