Jays send Shea Hillenbrand packing

NJTank

Apparently he was ripping the team all day demanded a trade and refused to sit in the dugout so the Jays just designated him for assignement.

Story

Well he didn't demand a trade, he said he expects to be traded.

Apparently he was mad about not getting played after leaving the team for 3 days, and because noone in the front office congratulated him about adopting a baby the other day.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Apparently he was ripping the team all day demanded a trade and refused to sit in the dugout so the Jays just designated him for assignement.

Story

Apparently he was mad about not getting played after leaving the team for 3 days, and because noone in the front office congratulated him about adopting a baby the other day.

I hope we can flip him for a decent pitcher or a good SS. As long as we keep Hinskie, we'll be fine...but I'll miss Shea and I'm sad to see this happened.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Story

You're forgetting the fact that the GM went into a players meeting and started calling out players, including Shea.

Save the slugalo.

If my baseball knowledge is correct, when a player gets DFA'd, the team has 10 days to trade him or send him to the minors. If he gets sent to the minors, he can refuse the assignment, and thus becomes a free agent.

So you can believe that the Jays will try and make a trade to get someone for this guy. As a Sox fan, I wouldn't mind seeing him back in Beantown.

Story

You're forgetting the fact that the GM went into a players meeting and started calling out players, including Shea.

That happened after the tirade (and t'was the manager not GM)

---

Chris Creamer

If my baseball knowledge is correct, when a player gets DFA'd, the team has 10 days to trade him or send him to the minors. If he gets sent to the minors, he can refuse the assignment, and thus becomes a free agent.

I think you need 10 years of service to refuse an assignment. Does he have that?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Some more details coming out about the events...

According to an unnamed player, after finding out he was not going to be in the lineup that night Shea wrote "THIS IS A SINKING SHIP" on the clubhouse chalkboard... this was after he had complained to the media and what led to manager John Gibbons screaming "You're gone! I'll be gone before you ever play another game in this organization" at Hillenbrand during a team meeting.

Another player said of Shea, ""He was a cancer in this clubhouse... Shea's day went the way the lineup card went. If he was in the lineup, everything was fine. If he wasn't he'd sulk. Sometimes he wouldn't even come out to hit."

Apparently he also angered some players when he ripped the Canadian flag off of his cap after being replaced during the July 1st game

"I got along with him, but his sense of humour rubbed some people the wrong way," said Vernon Wells.

---

Chris Creamer

Shea has had a history of an unusual sense of humor and possible anger-control issues. When he was traded by the Red Sox to the Diamondbacks, he called out Sox GM Theo Epstein on the radio and called him a " :censored:ing :censored:", because Epstein had told him he was going to stay on the team, that Boston had no intention of trading him. But once he was in Arizona, he was happy because he was a lot closer to his home.

Other reports over the years have said that Hillenbrand is less than "classy" when it comes to dealing with people, especially those in managament.

That said, I have followed his career since he played for the Lowell Spinners. I have known him to be a very hard working player who makes his teams better when he's in the lineup. He's a consistent 290 player with above average OBP and SLG.

I doubt that the lack of a reaction from the front office to his adopted child was the main catalyst for his tirade, but it's pretty low from the organization to ignore it if it is true.

I still have my Red Sox Hillenbrand jersey, I have no intention of getting rid of it. I think it would be great if the Red Sox signed him back, but they have no need for him with Lowell and Youkilis. Maybe the Yankees will sign him to take the place of the overpriced void that is A-Rod.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think it would be great if the Red Sox signed him back, but they have no need for him with Lowell and Youkilis. Maybe the Yankees will sign him to take the place of the overpriced void that is A-Rod.

I would like to think that the Jays would trade him for a bag of peanuts to an NL team before letting him walk to a divisional rival.

---

Chris Creamer

for some reason when he was in Arizona he never once bitched or complained, maybe it's an AL East thing, but he was perfectly content here, but of course he lives here so that may be the reason why. But i've been hearing rumors that Arizona may bring in Hillenbrand possibly for 1st or second base if he does become a free agent. Hillenbrand has said that he would like to play for Arizona once more in the future, Arizona has the money and a need for an experienced first baseman, it would be perfect imo.

I think you need 10 years of service to refuse an assignment. Does he have that?

No, I believe you can refuse assignment once you've run out of options. As rookies and lower-experienced players go, they have more options in order for them to be sent down and called up without the risk of the organization losing that player. Once a player is out of options (or has accrued enough service time) though, he can refuse any assignment.

for some reason when he was in Arizona he never once bitched or complained, maybe it's an AL East thing, but he was perfectly content here, but of course he lives here so that may be the reason why. But i've been hearing rumors that Arizona may bring in Hillenbrand possibly for 1st or second base if he does become a free agent. Hillenbrand has said that he would like to play for Arizona once more in the future, Arizona has the money and a need for an experienced first baseman, it would be perfect imo.

Give us back Hudson and we'll give ya Hillenbrand :P

---

Chris Creamer

for some reason when he was in Arizona he never once bitched or complained, maybe it's an AL East thing, but he was perfectly content here, but of course he lives here so that may be the reason why.  But i've been hearing rumors that Arizona may bring in Hillenbrand possibly for 1st or second base if he does become a free agent.  Hillenbrand has said that he would like to play for Arizona once more in the future,  Arizona has the money and a need for an experienced first baseman, it would be perfect imo.

Give us back Hudson and we'll give ya Hillenbrand :P

Amen to that. We want O-Dawg!!!

1zqy8ok.gif

I think it would be great if the Red Sox signed him back, but they have no need for him with Lowell and Youkilis. Maybe the Yankees will sign him to take the place of the overpriced void that is A-Rod.

I would like to think that the Jays would trade him for a bag of peanuts to an NL team before letting him walk to a divisional rival.

Dear Pittburgh,

How would you like to take a player off of our hands. He's pretty consistent but he can be a pain in the...neck. One bratwurst and a bottle of ketchup ought to cover it, otherwise we're gonna try to trade him to Milwaukee for a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Thanks,

-Toronto

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Hopfully we'll get SOMETHING out of this...my fear is teams won't deal knowing he'll just be availible in a few days. The Jays are forced to trade him or lose him, so they lose alot of clout in terms of barganing. Some thing is better than nothing though, so i had JP can pull something off here

Archived