My whacky idea for MLB playoff seeding

CC97

If there's one thing I dislike about the current Major League Baseball playoff system it's that for the wild-card you have teams playing different schedules competing against each other for the same title...

Same standings should be same schedules, in my opinion, the best way to make sure you're actually getting the best team of the bunch in first place.

This is where my "whacky idea" comes into play, and I'm not sure but I think european football does something similar.

Keep in mind I am aware this will never get used, I'm just looking for a "that's not a bad idea... for a league just starting up" type response :P

Division standings are determined by games played against teams in your own division only... the best team against the other teams in its own division wins the division championship (makes sense to me).

With that set up, wild-card standings are determined by games played against teams NOT in your division... this is where every team has the same schedule ('cept interleague play), the best team against non-division clubs wins the wild card. Either we do that, or make the wild-card standings based off of global results.

Am I nuts? Eh, probably... this is all stemming because I've noticed my team usually being the best intradivision team in the al east yet always finishing well behind the top 2.

Current MLB standings under my idea:

AL East

Tor 27-18

Bos 25-19

NYY 21-15

Bal 16-25

TB 19-31

AL Central

Det 32-14

Chi 22-18

Cle 21-25

Min 18-24

KC 13-25

AL West

Oak 17-12

Tex 12-10

LAA 14-13

Sea 10-18

AL Wildcard (div not incl)

Min 42-19

Bos 37-22

NYY 40-26

Sea 41-35

AL Wildcard (div incl)

Bos 62-41

NYY 61-41

Chi 61-42

Min 60-43

NL East

NYM 26-12

Phi 18-17

Wsh 18-20

Atl 18-23

Fla 17-25

NL Central

Cin 31-24

Chi 29-24

Hou 21-20

Mil 24-27

Stl 21-24

Pit 15-22

NL West

Ari 23-17

SF 21-20

LA 21-21

SD 20-22

Col 19-24

NL Wildcard (div not incl)

Stl 37-22

SD 35-28

NL Wildcard (div incl)

Stl 58-46

SD 55-50

SF 51-54

C'mon... you know you love it :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

No. Why?

Well, just because the Jays can beat teams in their own division doesn't mean that they can beat the (City Team) that's good that year.

In other words: Just because you can beat the D-Rays, doesn't mean you can beat the White Sox to get to the World Series.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

CC, my fear would be that your system could lead to a lot of meaningless games for top teams. Example: the Mets have the NL East pretty much locked up, and aren't really part of the wild card picture. So their interdivision games are basically exhibitions, which could lead to cheap victories for their opponents. Same with the second place team in a division with a clear front runner. Their intradivision games are meaningless, because they don't have a shot at a division title.

Usually only the second-division teams play meaningless games after the ASB, but I think your plan may lead to more meaningless games even for the top teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

CC, my fear would be that your system could lead to a lot of meaningless games for top teams. Example: the Mets have the NL East pretty much locked up, and aren't really part of the wild card picture. So their interdivision games are basically exhibitions, which could lead to cheap victories for their opponents. Same with the second place team in a division with a clear front runner. Their intradivision games are meaningless, because they don't have a shot at a division title.

Usually only the second-division teams play meaningless games after the ASB, but I think your plan may lead to more meaningless games even for the top teams.

Ah, very very true.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Ugh. That's just wrong.

My idea? Ditch the wild-card altogether. Give the team in each league with the best record an incentive by making them the "#1 seed" and giving them a 'bye' in the first round. Have the other two division champs slug it out in an LDS, with the winner meeting the #1 seed in the LCS.

I mean c'mon: does a team that can't win more games than 4, at most 5 other teams, really deserve to qualify for the playoffs?

nav-logo.png

Ugh. That's just wrong.

My idea? Ditch the wild-card altogether. Give the team in each league with the best record an incentive by making them the "#1 seed" and giving them a 'bye' in the first round. Have the other two division champs slug it out in an LDS, with the winner meeting the #1 seed in the LCS.

I mean c'mon: does a team that can't win more games than 4, at most 5 other teams, really deserve to qualify for the playoffs?

Byes only work for football. The reason why is because football is a once a week sport and the playoffs are single elimination. Because teams get a bye week during the season they are used to that time off to where it doesn't hurt the better team that much.

Baseball is an every day sport. A team gets a bye for the first round they get 8 days off if the first round is a best of 5. That's going to throw the team out of routine. Batters are going to be rusty because they haven't faced MLB pitching speed in a week. That gives a huge advantage to the team who didn't have a bye.

My wacky idea would be having more than 4 teams from a league after 162 games. Wait, that's not wacky at all.

Same.

Expand the playoffs!

Um, no. 4 teams is perfect for the MLB. If the baseball season was shorter, like the NHL or NBA, then sure. But the 162 game season offers more than chances to make up for flukes.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

The MLB playoffs to me is like asking 30 guys to get kicked in the balls 162 times and the first 8 people who can stand up get to play roshambo for immortality.

The thing that saddens me about the MLB is that the season is at least twice as long as every other league but the fewest teams of all leagues make the playoffs. And when you have a division where the top two teams are always going to be the same cause they can't stop having the world's most expensive pissing contest, it resonates harshly in the cities of the other teams in that division because their fanbases are so much smaller and spawn much less revenue.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The thing that saddens me about the MLB is that the season is at least twice as long as every other league but the fewest teams of all leagues make the playoffs.

No, that's exactly how it should be. With 162 games to prove themselves, you shouldn't put half the major leagues in the postseason. Think of the late-season pennant races as playoff prelims.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Baseball is an every day sport. A team gets a bye for the first round they get 8 days off if the first round is a best of 5. That's going to throw the team out of routine. Batters are going to be rusty because they haven't faced MLB pitching speed in a week. That gives a huge advantage to the team who didn't have a bye.

Oh? Four teams participate in a best of 7 series, using a typical MLB schedule format:

SERIES "A":

Game 1 - Sunday

Game 2 - Monday

Game 3 - Wednesday

Game 4 - Thursday

Game 5 - Saturday

Game 6 - Sunday

Game 7 - Monday

SERIES "B":

Game 1 - Monday

Game 2 - Tuesday

Game 3 - Thursday

Game 4 - Friday

Game 5 - Sunday

Game 6 - Monday

Game 7 - Wednesday

In Series "A", one team wipes out the other in four straight. In Series "B", the series goes the full 7 games before a winner's determined. Under MLB scheduling practices, the series between them wouldn't start until Friday - by which time the Series "A" winner has had 8 days off.

While your statement is logical in theory, in practice its already in play.

nav-logo.png

The thing that saddens me about the MLB is that the season is at least twice as long as every other league but the fewest teams of all leagues make the playoffs.

No, that's exactly how it should be. With 162 games to prove themselves, you shouldn't put half the major leagues in the postseason. Think of the late-season pennant races as playoff prelims.

I agree. If anything, basketball and hockey playoff qualification should be harder... no more than 8 teams from each.

You should have to earn your way in it to win it.

And there should be one automatic rule across all sports - if your team can't muster at least a .501 winning percentage, regardless of the sport, no playoffs for you even if you win your division.

nav-logo.png

Archived