Michael Kay Equates Baseball To The Holocaust

ZBoyer

In a clip on his radio show the other day, Yankees announcer and radio host Michael Kay freaked out when a caller told him that he jinxed Chien-Ming Wang's perfect game against Toronto on Aug. 2. The called claimed that it was against "baseball etiquette" and was not something you should do, but Kay started losing it, making connections to the Nazis burning the Jews and black people being slaves as something that shouldn't be done but it happened.

To listen to the rant, click here.

Personally, all dislike for the Yankees aside, this dude was way out of line. Even his co-host on the show - I don't know the guy's name - was just mortified by what he said. Yeah, sure, it's not a big deal to mention a perfect game when it's happening, but it just adds to the allure and the lore of the game to not do such a thing. Whether Kay wants to do so or not, so be it. However, to say that it shouldn't be done but needed to be done, and then comparing it to something as drastic to the Holocaust or to the slavery issue, is way, way, WAY out of line.

Your thoughts?

Michael Kay is the "the-e-e-ee-e Yankees win!" guy, right? He bugs me.

Comparing a stupid game, or actually his broadcast of a stupid game, to the Holocaust is really beyond the pale. In effect, he's comparing his chatter to the lives of six million Jews. What a jerk. A total jerk.

If I had the YES Channel on my cable system, I wouldn't watch it anymore. Jerk.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Michael Kay is the "the-e-e-ee-e Yankees win!" guy, right?  He bugs me.

No that's John Sterling who is the radio annoucer.

I hate that. It's not anything clever or smart. Marty Brennaman's "this one belongs to the Reds." now there is a classic endgame tagline.

topic at hand: guy mentions baseball game in the same breath as the holocaust and stuff. Ya, it was stupid.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I heard what he said it was not that bad, it was a poor use of the analogy but it was not antisemetic it was dumb, besides I think Kay is Jewish or part Jewish so he would not be antisemetic to begin with.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I heard what he said it was not that bad, it was a poor use of the analogy but it was not antisemetic it was dumb, besides I think Kay is Jewish or part Jewish so he would not be antisemetic to begin with.

unless he enjoyed self-loathing... ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I'm with Tank. It was a bad analogy but I don't believe his intent was to undermine Jews or The Holocaust or Blacks and Slavery. He is guilty of using too extreme an example to make his case but I don't think it's the end of the world or anything. Using slavery to make a point about baseball etiquette was like using a shotgun to kill a fly.

BB52Big.jpg

I had to turn it off before the holocaust comments. The slavery comments made me so uncomfortable I couldn't listen anymore. It was like a train wreck.

As a side note, I've heard a bunch of different broadcasters for a bunch of different teams, and I really think the Yankees, who have all the money in the world, have the WORST announcers, both TV and ESPECIALLY radio, of any team in either league. The radio announcers (I have the mlb.com radio package, and listen to usually 2 different games a night) are clearly the worst in the league. I can't stand either John Sterling or Suzyn Waldman. They both have voices that make me want to poke my eardrums out with an icepick. I'll take the Dodgers or Brewers (I was SO surprised to find out just how good Bob Uecker really is on a day to day basis) ANY day.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

He did say one good thing, lately! He said the Red Sox are dead and that the Yankees aren't even worried about them (it certainly looks true, but dumb to say with a 5 game set at Fenway coming up). He hasn't said that since the 2004 playoffs.

But yeah, nevermind the fact that they call games for the Yankees, I don't like him, John Sterling, or the annoying girl that calls radio games with Sterling (or used to, anyway). They're just painful to listen to. Whenever I go back to Connecticut, where my grandma gets YES but not NESN, so I have to watch the Yankees games, I have to watch the games without sound.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived